Teens Writing for Teens, issue 6

Missus Akasha

I'm a monster. I'm a saint.
Registered
Reaction score
Horserider (do you have a nickname I can use?), I agree! This thread has been pretty sluggish for a while now. I just assumed it was because everyone was getting their brain tortured in college, LOL. I know that was my reason.

Elysium

believe
Registered
Reaction score
In my computer....most of the time and Pennsylvani
*waves at HR* ME TOO! How are you? :D

MA - It's called That Space Between. Here's a rough blurb:

Cassidee Scott's father once said that he would kill her mother if she ever tried to leave, but when Dee's mother wakes her up in the middle of the night and tells her that it's time to go, she goes.

Now that her sprained ankle is healed and she's living thousands of miles away from her past, Dee can finally start over with her life; she can finally get back to doing the one thing she loves most: dancing.

When Dee is introduced to David (name subject to change), a promising young dancer and her new instructor, her life begins to revolve around him and her goal to be the best dancer she can be.

Not the best blurb in the world but...yeah.

Missus Akasha

Registered
Reaction score
HR, college life is a love-hate thing, lol.

Ely, I like that idea a lot! Sounds like a really good contemporary.

Missus Akasha

Registered
Reaction score
HR, college life is a love-hate thing, lol.

Ely, I like that idea a lot! Sounds like a really good contemporary.

Horserider

Ever onward
Registered
Reaction score
Ely - I'm good. And that SNI sounds fantastic!

MA - It really is. I love college so much, but it's exhausting and time consuming and stressful at times.

Elysium

believe
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks HR!

And this. SO MUCH this:

MA - It really is. I love college so much, but it's exhausting and time consuming and stressful at times.

College really does take up a lot of energy. That's why I'm glad break is here. Even though I only get two weeks off, it's a much needed two weeks. Now I can be lazy and write and read and...sleep. It's beautiful.

Almondjoy

Keep moving forward <3
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, Ana! I'm Tally. We have a few questions we tend to ask newcomers...

1. How old are you?
2. What genre(s) do you write?

Also, Merry Christmas!

Oh, those are both very good places to be, Lily. What's your trilogy called? I'll be sure to look out for the announcement. Rep me if you can't post it. :)

Hi Tally! I'm a younger teen, still in high school unfortunately. =P Guess I'll be the youngster here, since it seems like almost all of you guys are in college/end of high school. And I write pretty much anything in YA, but I tend to stick towards Urban Fantasy/Paranormal type thing. I haven't written a contemp novel yet, but I may try one after my current one...

MA is just fine! :) Everyone calls me that on here. Anyway, that sounds like a really great idea! I love fantasy/supernatural stuff. You can do so much with mind powers. There are literally thousands of mental powers to toy with!

Hey, Tally and Ely! :)

I love the freedom of choosing whatever I want to do with mind powers! So many endless options- which is pretty much why I write UF/Paranormal. You can seriously do anything.

I bought Scrivener a while back so I'm trying to use it to plot Dominion. I also got an SNI earlier today that and I started writing it a few hours ago. I'm not sure if it'll go anywhere, but it'll be nice to have something to work on when I'm not plotting.

ETA: Hehe, and I feel the same way about Dominion. I feel like it could be a big thing, if only I just sit down and make myself write it.

Ooh, how do you like Scrivener? I have a 50% off coupon from NaNo, and am thinking about buying it. So many writers swear by it!

Missus Akasha

Registered
Reaction score
@Ely, lucky you, LOL. Let me borrow your muse for a while.

@HR, yes! It is very, very exhausting. When I turned in my very last assignment for the semester, it was like a weight had been lifted off of my brain. I nearly cried in joy! But I love college but I can't wait to get the hell out of it, LOL. If college was free, I'd totally make this shit a career because I love learning. But student loans bring me back to reality!

@Ana, you made a very good choice then! The story I am writing now, there are so many possibilities to go with! The amount is crazy, which kinds of overwhelms me, but writing kind of does that general especially when you are really into it.

Anyways, I gotta crash for the night, LOL. I am so tired. Happy Holidays and good night! :)

Almondjoy

Keep moving forward <3
Registered
Reaction score
Hey Almondjoy!

I'm Ely. :)

I like Scrivener a lot. I'm not the type of person who plots/outlines but it's made keeping my thoughts and notes for wips organized a lot easier. You should definitely buy it. :D

I like to plot and organize at least a little for my novels, and I'm thinking that Scrivener will help me be more organized with all of that. I've heard some people say it's just another word processor, and not worth it, but it seems to me that it would be helpful... so I'm still unsure. What did you use before Scrivener?

@Ely, lucky you, LOL. Let me borrow your muse for a while.

@HR, yes! It is very, very exhausting. When I turned in my very last assignment for the semester, it was like a weight had been lifted off of my brain. I nearly cried in joy! But I love college but I can't wait to get the hell out of it, LOL. If college was free, I'd totally make this shit a career because I love learning. But student loans bring me back to reality!

@Ana, you made a very good choice then! The story I am writing now, there are so many possibilities to go with! The amount is crazy, which kinds of overwhelms me, but writing kind of does that general especially when you are really into it.

Anyways, I gotta crash for the night, LOL. I am so tired. Happy Holidays and good night! :)

I do think all the options are a bit overwhelming at times, because there's just. so. many. But it also allows for creative freedom, so you can do whatever you want. I imagine that with possession, you have a ton of options regarding what you can do! And good night. =)

Elysium

believe
Registered
Reaction score
I like to plot and organize at least a little for my novels, and I'm thinking that Scrivener will help me be more organized with all of that. I've heard some people say it's just another word processor, and not worth it, but it seems to me that it would be helpful... so I'm still unsure. What did you use before Scrivener?

I wasn't much of a planner/outliner before I bought Scrivener so I didn't use anything. I just opened up a Word doc and started writing.

inkspatters

The coordinates keep changing...
Registered
Reaction score
Dropping in to say that I also just bought Scrivener (like a week ago) and so far it's really working for me. I still don't really plan much before I start, but the corkboard thing lets me go back and see the basic skeleton of my story if I either a) need reminding or b) need to fix the plot. It's easier to see when things are not working in that mode for me.

Also, hi, and a belated Merry Christmas to all.

ETA: (Also just realised that this is the first time I've posted in TWFT while not being a legit twiftie. *laments no longer being a teen*

Bookgirl2021

"If I had a heart, I'd give it to you."
Registered
Reaction score
Just popping in to share a quote that made me laugh and think of all my writerly friends. :D

Rizzo the Rat: How do you know what Scrooge is doin'? We're down here and he's up there!

Gonzo: I told you, storytellers are omniscient; I know everything!

Rizzo the Rat: Hoity-toity, Mr. Godlike Smarty-Pants.

Gonzo: To conduct a proper search, Scrooge was forced to light the lamps.

[the lamps come on]

Rizzo the Rat: How *does* he do that?

Merry Christmas (even though it's technically basically over now :tongue)

ETA As far as Scrivener goes.... I've thought about getting it, but so far the planning/organizing/etc. (or lack thereof) hasn't been the problem. It's the sitting down and finishing this dang project. So close. Five chapters left to write......

Last edited:

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
Scrivener is excellent for organisation, it has to be said. Especially if you like to be somewhat flexible.

Question: What the hell is a novellete?

Thalia

better off with a really good lie
Registered
Reaction score
Aha, I feel that. Technically I'm in a college program- I'm in a harder program than AP, and most schools would send me straight to second year of uni, aha. ten hour school days + 150 balanced extracurricular hours + 4-5 hours of homework + living on my own = I CAN'T WAIT TO GRADUATE.

(notice I'm missing the fun part)

Ana, we were all young when we joined, and we still have some youngsters. I was 13 when I came around, aha. (In Grade 11 now.)

Scrivener is beautiful! Honestly, if you're debating it, I say go for it. It's not that expensive, and if all else fails, it does hundreds of little tasks that are worth it, like formatting your novel, organizing your research, putting all your worldbuilding details in one place, etc, etc. (seriously, it formats your novel in a dozen ways, it's awesome)

Thalia

better off with a really good lie
Registered
Reaction score
Hello!

The fact that this thread is actually moving is the best Christmas gift ever. It's like everyone came home for the holidays.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
IKR.

I might take a break from Paragon Academy as my main project and treat it as coursework.