Teens Writing for Teens, issue 6

amlptj

Speling & grammer murderer, Sorrie!
Registered
Reaction score
Only watched the shows. Its on my "to read" list.

Seriously after i graduate i wish i could take the whole summer off to read and write. My list is over 100 books long now that i have been adding too over the last 5 years, when i had to stop reading for pleasure.

Some i can think of off the top of my head:

The hunger games,
The Gone series
Pillars of the Earth (loved the show)
Dexter (obsessed with show)
Game of thrones series
Agatha Christie books (I have about 30 my aunt gave to me)
Steven King (I have about 40 books of his i want to read)
Dean Koontz (Another 25-30 books of his i want to read, he's my mom's favorite author)
Left Behind series ( I just found out there are 16 now)
TMI series (Dont know what its about but everyone recommends it)

Then there are books and series i want to re-read:

The shadow children series (MY FAVORITE EVER!)
Charlie Bone series (There are 8 MG books i've been reading since i was like 10, last one came out last year, have it never opened it because i forgot shit from the first few books :()
Series of Unfortunate Events (If i can keep my anger under control when i hit the 10th book again)
The Giver series.

Can you guys think of any more? My list is way longer then this, but i was too lazy to open it, so this is all i could think off hand. If only i had the time to read it all.... Curse my slow reading!

Thalia

better off with a really good lie
Registered
Reaction score
Sansa is my favorite, followed by Arya and Jon.

And Dany. I love Dany.

Have you read Graceling? Graceling and Fire are fantastic. I actually think you would really like them- it's about a girl named Katsa who is amazing and strong and tough (a bit like Arya, to be honest) who was born with a special gift for fighting and has been used by her uncle (a king) as a weapon, AND THEN SO MUCH GOOD STUFF HAPPENS AND I SWEAR YOU WOULD LOVE IT.

Of course, East, by Edith Pattou, is one of my favorite novels of all time and does not get nearly enough recognition.

It reminds me of Game of Thrones (some of the visuals on the show make me go OMGWTHBBQ THAT'S EAST RIGHT THERE).

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
I haven't read any book in full for pleasure in the last 5 years. The list of books I have read starting at 10 (when i started to like reading)are rather short. SO short i can name them all...

Summer reading books like: Freak the Mighty, The Hot Zone, Lovely Bones, A tree that grows in Brooklyn, Secrete life of bees, And then there were none, cooper beech, and The Hobbit.

Then ones for pleasure that i found and read: The Giver series, Series of Unfortunate Events, The Shadow Children Series, Charlie Bone Series.

And then ones in school i had to read: How to kill a mocking bird, 9 Shakespeare works, Dante's inferno, The Aeneid, Beowulf, Gulliver's Travels, Canterbury tales, A portrait of a young man as an artist, C.S. Lewis's works (The screwtapes letters, The Space trilogy, The lion the witch and the wardrobe, The Great Divorce)

Yes, i'm severely under read I know, but i read really really really slow.

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
Exciting Zoom!!! Will you have to change much?

Morning everyone! How are your days starting off so far?

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
Hope you've been enjoying the edits, Zoom. Can't wait to buy the book. Is it coming out in print as well as e?

Hi Ally! Check your inbox!

Thalia

Registered
Reaction score
Gahhh, I just got this strange WIP from when I was twelve bouncing back into my skull. So I wrote a poem on my phone last night.

I really like that poem.

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you Para! God cant wait till work and class or over so i can read it!

Grrrr... work finally slowed down. I'm running on three hours of sleep and still have a long day ahead of me. I think the Java Monsters are the only thing keeping my eyelids from shutting.

How is everyone else doing?

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
My card is too big to fit in my folder.

I actually have no idea what size it is. It actually cost £1.35 for a sheet.

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
So have you guys read or written books from two or more first person POV?

I'm doing it for the first time and i've come to a chapter that I can already feel a future beta would scream at me "SHOW DONT TELL!!!!!!"

You see the POV between Sam and Alex shifts every chapter back and forth. Never two consecutive chapters from the same person. (just to be fair) I'm also trying to advert having one character relive/retell the events that happened in the chapter before with the other POV. Just because i feel it would get really boring that way, and be sort of a waist of words. One might briefly tell a few quick feeling from the scene before... for example First kiss was in Alex's POV, and the beginning of the next Sam said a few lines about how excited he was, but didnt relive it or anything.

Anyway. I'm at a chapter now in Alex's POV, for it is her turn. The characters are having a critical heart to heart, where they tell each other about there pasts they tried so hard to hide from each other before the Prom incident the chapter before. Both revealing stories of how the bulling started, worst episodes, phobias, because of incidents that happened to them and the such. Now my problem is, before this, each character when having a flashback would pretty much go back and tell it through reliving it. (Trying to show and not tell) but in this chapter Sam can't really do that because he is telling it to Alex. And i feel Alex should tell Sam the incidents that happened to her, rather then reliving them. Now i'm worried this is too much of "long telling conversations" But i cant really see any other way to do this.

You guys ever run into this yourselves or read books where this sort of thing happened. Any advice on the issue?

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you Para! God cant wait till work and class or over so i can read it!

Awesome, hope you enjoy it!

Working on a client edit right now while idly dreaming about all the awesome stuff I'm going to do in my YA UF. Protagonist is about to meet her future airship. :LilLove:

Thalia

Registered
Reaction score
I love this poem I wrote so much I'm going to actually work on the series.

1. The Winter Princess
2. Bones of Ice
3. And Wolves Will Howl
4. Once the North

All from this random poem.

But I will also work on Sherlockettes today!

Let's try to be productive while sick, Tally.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
Interesting question, Ally. My urban fantasy had two viewpoint characters who were always together, so I've encountered the temptation to retell what just happened from the other character's viewpoint. In your case, I would probably incorporate Alex's flashbacks into Alex's narrative (not as separate scenes) and rely on dialogue only for Sam's backstory. That maintains viewpoint discipline while giving the reader the immediacy of a flashback rather than relying on endless talking.

Thalia

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Lisa.

My favorite part of this poem, I think, is:

Beneath her pretty bird's eyes lies a wolf's brain
And wolves can bite and rip and kill.

Pretty good for 12:00 AM on a Blackberry :tongue