Teens Writing for Teens, issue 6

Horserider

Ever onward
Registered
Reaction score
I have over 200... and when i think about it i get depressed.... I'm never going to be able to read everything i want to... Would getting stuff on audio book be cheating? hehehe No scratch that i dont think i have the attention span to listen to a book being read aloud. My friend does it all the time while driving, and i cant understand how. Driving is my thinking time. I'd be lost in my own thoughts as it was playing probably.

No joke, I have 405 books on my GR to-read shelf. I'm pretty sure that for every book I read, I add five more to the list. Audio books are definitely not cheating, but I could never use them. My mind would wander off and I'd miss half the book before I even realized I wasn't listening.

Hi, guys. :)

MY BIRTHDAY WAS EPIC. HARRY POTTER DAY FTW!

I got my presents earlier, and as well as money, I got Sherlock Series 1, War Horse and the 1932 Dracula on DVD, and my friend gave me a PREETIFUL Harry Potter bracelet. :D

Yay! I'm glad you had a great birthday. :D

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
I have the best part of a thousand unread books, print and e. At the moment I'm editing 1-2 novels a week so I barely have time to read. *sadface* The last book I read was Dan Wells' excellent PART1ALS.

Elysium

believe
Registered
Reaction score
In my computer....most of the time and Pennsylvani
I know! I hate when the threads are quiet.

I keep losing internet connection. There's something wrong with the router/modem...whatever it is called. My mom said someone is coming over to take a look at it tomorrow, so hopefully it can be fixed.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
I just hit 18K on Luna's Lament (sequel to Shattered Sky, itself a sequel to Debris Dreams).

Here's a snippet because I like showing off! Things to know: Italics are "ducting", communication via tight-beam radio transmitted between neural implants. It's a bit like telepathic radio.

Dru is called "PR" as a nickname due to all the press she's gotten.

Smoke em.

For a moment, everything slowed down. The tango I had in my sights was going about fifty kilometers, with a pretty hefty crosswind. My AR and my instincts worked in tandem, to put a bullet right…

There.

My PK-404 coughed and tried to buck, but I held it stock still. Five other coughs went off at the same time from five other places, and five other bullets struck. The five tangos dropped and their jeep slewed out of control for a few feet, the auto-brakes kicking into effect and the AI bringing it to a smooth stop. We all moved out of cover, our active-camo making us look like ghosts.

Ghosts with guns.

Alvarez – indicated by a few symbols overlaid on my AR – went to the front of the jeep and tugged one of the bodies off the jeep. I grabbed my target and hauled him off as well. I overshot a bit and the body went flying into the river we had been hiding by. Alvarez shot me a duct: Careful, PR

Gloria and Lee took the back seats.

All right, Alvarez ducted to the lot of us. Lee, PR, start her up.

On this exercise I was part of the infosec team. I’d had plenty of practice slipping past Selection’s security – though after a week of hard, twenty four hour training, I knew just how stupidly naïve I had been to thinking they hadn’t left plenty of holes for me to slip through – but now I had actual training and, more than that, wired reflexes and a headcomputer. Slicing into the tango’s security systems and spoofing their biometric feedback was the work of seconds, which was a good thing: Their AIs would have noticed something might have been wrong, but there was a short “delay”, so that an alarm didn’t go off every time someone adjusted their vest.

That was the idea at least.

We’re good. Lee spoke more often with tightbeam radio than with his mouth. I guess that had to be part of why he’d been picked for S3TA.

Good. Alvarez gestured. Roll the jeep into the water and switch to Cheetah.

Gloria shoved the jeep as I steered, the breaks having been cut with a single quick stab through the hood from Alvarez. The stab hadn’t come from a knife…rather, he’d used his forearm blade, which had popped out with his punch and sliced through metal, tube and then smoothly pulled out. The jeep slipped into the lake and was gone, as if it had never been.

[FONT=&quot] We ghosted and moved out[/FONT]

goddessofthehunt

Queen of inane tangents.
Registered
Reaction score
Bad illness! I hope you feel better soon. I'm fighting a cold myself, but aside from one day where I had exams it hasn't adversely affected my writing too much (Camp NaNo!).

Last edited:

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
This is what happens when you're walking around in rain. D:

goddessofthehunt

Queen of inane tangents.
Registered
Reaction score
Lol ok. I'm just a loner who doesn't get to go on studio tours, mostly because any I'd care about are in other countries :(

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
YAY, ELY.

I'd say something you feel relatively confident in. :)

Elysium

believe
Registered
Reaction score
Haha. Yeah, I think that would be illegal. But that reminds me of Paper Towns. Didn't Quentin and his friends wear their underwear underneath their gowns? Not that I'd consider doing that...lol

I'm thinking I want to wear pink and silver. I have these really cute silver heels, but I'm not sure if I should wear them because I might trip or fall when walking across the stage to get my diploma. That would be SOO embarassing.

It's going to be an extremely long night. My school has 17 valedictorians and they all get to give speeches. o_O

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
I could not wear heels for something like that. I have a tendancy to trip over my feet in FLAT SHOES.

Elysium

believe
Registered
Reaction score
17? There aren't even 17 people in my GRADE.

There are 386 people in my class. If my old school didn't close, I would've been the valedictorian there, but at my new school they so many different kind of honors classes. Don't know how the grading system in other countries work but all of the valedictorians have a grade point average of 4.5, which is why they couldn't pick just one valedictorian.

Thalia

better off with a really good lie
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, but valedictorian isn't just GPA, it's all standardized tests (we take 4) and volunteer hours and such... in IB schools, at least. Also, CAS hours (creativity action service).

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know why, but I can't seem to plot at the moment.

amlptj

Speling & grammer murderer, Sorrie!
Registered
Reaction score
wow your school seems huge! That was nearly the size of my graduating COLLEGE class (which was 420) My highschool was only around 130. Oh which I was 18th in GPA! (and if you knew how competitive my school was or how i started in 2nd track and not honors, trust me THAT is an accomplishment and a half)

Sadly in college, well I'm shocked i graduated!!!