Teens Writing for Teens, issue 6

Thalia

better off with a really good lie
Registered
Reaction score
Snippet!

When Danielle came up and asked [Sophie] if she wanted to go to Dairy Queen, she said yes without a second’s thought.

She asked if Veronika would come, and Danielle sighed melodramatically. “No, she definitely doesn’t want to go, but she’s calling home to see if her sister’s there.”

“So she’ll go home if her sister’s home to let her in?” asked Sophie.

Danielle laughed. “No, she’ll go home unless her sister’s there to let her in.”

Sophie frowned, but didn’t ask any questions. She looked over to Veronika’s locker, about ten feet away.

Veronika’s face was blank as she moved the phone from her hear, but then she dropped it into her backpack and slammed her locker shut.

Danielle grinned. “She’s coming.”

MysteryRiter

Murder isn't so bad...
Registered
Reaction score
Tally, I like it!

However, this line makes no sense, at least to me:

she said yes without a second’s thought

First off, you should probably put quotations around 'yes' because she is saying it. You don't absolutely need to, though.

When you say "without a second's thought" I understand what you mean, but it doesn't sound right to me. Do you mean "without a second thought"?

Thalia

better off with a really good lie
Registered
Reaction score
MR, when I post snippets I'm not asking for critique. I NEVER edit as I write. I'm just sharing because I'm excited about the project and others are too.

Thanks for your comments, but just so you know. YAWN is where I go when I want crits. :)

ETA: By the way, by 'second's thought', I mean she didn't even think about it for a second. Common saying where I'm from.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to buy some card.

Next project or during any editing/I'm just going to use post its (unless I have loads of index cards) and do one-line scene ideas.

Boom. Sorted.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
Evening team. It's time for a showdown with the secret police. #amwriting

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
My mum is reading the end of Boy Meets Boy after I told her I have to do a presentation on it next week. O.O

Bookgirl2021

"If I had a heart, I'd give it to you."
Registered
Reaction score
I was up *way* too late last night. And I feel slightly guilty now, because I wasn't even being productive. I was watching Sherlock until like... 4:30.

CharacterInWhite

Kind of a big deal
Registered
Reaction score
I'm in a hitch, guys. Ladies. Whatever word you like:

I need a tactful way to tell a potential beta reader that things won't work.

My MS has already gone through line edits, and she's constantly poking around my words and rearranging sentences. I'm getting the impression she thinks she can write my book better than I can, because her feedback is constantly mucking around with my narrative voice--something that's definitely concrete at this stage of the project.

I just don't want to sound petty and be all "you're nit-picky and I hate you!" :p

MargoWest

the chart is not the sea
Registered
Reaction score
My real recommendation is: lie. Tell them that you appreciate their help but you think you're actually going to take some time to re-think and re-work the story, and maybe later when you have a better idea of where you're going with it, you'll ask for their help again.

You can be honest of course, but it probably will result in some hurt feelings.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
I was watching Beastly. It's really good, but someone should've told me Neil Patrick Harris was in it. XD

CharacterInWhite

Kind of a big deal
Registered
Reaction score
Woot, just landed a summer job at a dinosaur education facility :D

Now I just have to get published...

(Also Neil Patrick Harris wins the world. And guess what? I CAN TOTALLY SEDUCE HIM AND YOU CAN'T 'CAUSE HE'S GAY HAHAHA!)

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
:( WHY ARE ALL THE GOOD GUYS GAY?

Also, I feel like I need to do some reading on character development. I'm going to shut down and start that soon.

CharacterInWhite

Kind of a big deal
Registered
Reaction score
Also, I feel like I need to do some reading on character development

Two suggestions:

1) Find an actor and ask for their process. An actor getting into character and a writer creating a character are pretty much identical processes.

2) The Writer's Compass by Nancy Ellen Dodd has the most logical, step-by-step idea-to-finished-book composition of literary theory I've ever seen, and that includes a huge chunk on character development.

Horserider

Ever onward
Registered
Reaction score
I'm in a hitch, guys. Ladies. Whatever word you like:

I need a tactful way to tell a potential beta reader that things won't work.

My MS has already gone through line edits, and she's constantly poking around my words and rearranging sentences. I'm getting the impression she thinks she can write my book better than I can, because her feedback is constantly mucking around with my narrative voice--something that's definitely concrete at this stage of the project.

I just don't want to sound petty and be all "you're nit-picky and I hate you!" :p

I agree with Margo. You could also say "My MS has already been through line edits so I'm looking for a beta reader to look at..."

I was watching Beastly. It's really good, but someone should've told me Neil Patrick Harris was in it. XD

I LOVE Neil Patrick Harris! That's one of the very few movies I like better than the book.

(Also Neil Patrick Harris wins the world. And guess what? I CAN TOTALLY SEDUCE HIM AND YOU CAN'T 'CAUSE HE'S GAY HAHAHA!)

WHAT LISA SAID.

CharacterInWhite

Kind of a big deal
Registered
Reaction score
And the ones that aren't gay are taken.

Or introverted, which can mean we're easily overlooked. Speaking from the experience of an introverted nice guy. If you want a nice guy, try the quiet ones. Not all quiet guys are nice, but the odds are in your favour if they're not participating in loudmouthed frat boy antics.

MysteryRiter

Murder isn't so bad...
Registered
Reaction score
You know, when you try quiet guys, you either get a nice guy or a serial killer.

Well, that's what movies tell me at least.

:D

ETA: CIW, I'm totally tweeting that quote in your sigline!

Horserider

Ever onward
Registered
Reaction score
Or introverted, which can mean we're easily overlooked. Speaking from the experience of an introverted nice guy. If you want a nice guy, try the quiet ones. Not all quiet guys are nice, but the odds are in your favour if they're not participating in loudmouthed frat boy antics.

It just seems like all the ones I've become interested in have turned out to have girlfriends already.

I'm introverted as well, though, so if I see a quiet guy that I want to talk to, it's hard to me to figure out how to strike up a conversation with them.