Teens Writing for Teens, issue 6

Thalia

better off with a really good lie
Registered
Reaction score
Yes I have! It's a pretty epic cover, though I haven't really been reading the Lost Hero trilogy. I read the second, and the part of the first when they're in Quebec- unlike some people, the whole 'next generation' idea REALLY set me off. I know that's it's not, really, but I just never got excited for it. Or the Kane Chronicles. I sort of outgrew them- not because they're meant for children, but because they're part of MY childhood, and I want to immortalize that a bit longer before I read more. Same reason I don't want a Harry Potter sequel series. (I would love HP prequels, about Tom, or Albus and Grindlewald, or other established characters, but the idea of a sequel series... I really not like NEXT GENERATION concepts. They often feel like money grabs to me)

ETA: Like Disney movie sequels.

Bookgirl2021

"If I had a heart, I'd give it to you."
Registered
Reaction score
Eh, Disney has a couple of sequels that are pretty good. Toy Story, for instance. And I LOVE Aladdin and the King of Thieves. Return of Jafar...not so much. That said, though... The Little Mermaid sequel wasn't *terrible*, but not my favorite at all. And I've never seen any of the Cinderella sequels. Oh, Pocahontas II was okay, too. And Hunchback (from what I can remember. I've only seen it once all the way through, and that was forever ago).

Thalia

better off with a really good lie
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, no, BG, I wasn't saying that they're bad. I was saying that... they sometimes sort of take away from the immortal nature of the original movie. I love The Lion King II, but I try and keep the original movies separate in my mind, because they are different.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
Done my Prince Charming lists. I'm going to plot today, as soon as I figure out my characters' occupations.

amlptj

Speling & grammer murderer, Sorrie!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm actually writing! Got 1.3K done yesterday... lets see how much today.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
Yay, you two!

Also, Tally, thanks for reminding me of Scrivener! It's making my life easier. After Invincible and maybe Sticks and Stones, I will be using it for most of my novel stuff. :)

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
Got sidetracked with writing by thinking and plotting a far off in the future book. The Second book of the Second Generation series.... Finally decided that one of the MC's is going to be autistic. (Pip and Laura's youngest child) He going to be a genius like his father and siblings, but doesnt speak, doesnt like to be touched, and never shows emotions. Arwen (his Sister) calls him Robot Boy...

In her defense she didnt grow up with Luke, didnt even know him... well no one did... until he was 7.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
I'm struggling to think of David's occupation. He's 28 and really into his music...

comped

Why Me Worry?
Registered
Reaction score
Yes I have! It's a pretty epic cover, though I haven't really been reading the Lost Hero trilogy. I read the second, and the part of the first when they're in Quebec- unlike some people, the whole 'next generation' idea REALLY set me off. I know that's it's not, really, but I just never got excited for it. Or the Kane Chronicles. I sort of outgrew them- not because they're meant for children, but because they're part of MY childhood, and I want to immortalize that a bit longer before I read more. Same reason I don't want a Harry Potter sequel series. (I would love HP prequels, about Tom, or Albus and Grindlewald, or other established characters, but the idea of a sequel series... I really not like NEXT GENERATION concepts. They often feel like money grabs to me)

ETA: Like Disney movie sequels.

So you've never liked Degrassi:TNG (which las lasted longer then the origional series (kids, jr. high, high school, and school's out movie) combigned)?

Got sidetracked with writing by thinking and plotting a far off in the future book. The Second book of the Second Generation series.... Finally decided that one of the MC's is going to be autistic. (Pip and Laura's youngest child) He going to be a genius like his father and siblings, but doesnt speak, doesnt like to be touched, and never shows emotions. Arwen (his Sister) calls him Robot Boy...

In her defense she didnt grow up with Luke, didnt even know him... well no one did... until he was 7.

Strange. I'm already planning the novels for my MC's kids. The parent's novels haven't even been written...

I'm struggling to think of David's occupation. He's 28 and really into his music...

musician?

comped

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
Hmmm... musician and something else to bring in the money? YES.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
You could give him a sensible day job like working in a bank to pay the bills while he does weekend and evening gigs.

comped

Why Me Worry?
Registered
Reaction score
watching the old dregrassi movie. Pure '90's Canadian awesomeness.

comped

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
Now I need to figure something out about trainee doctors.

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
Oh your starting with the kids first? Cool!

Yeah my MC's right now are the first generation of Freaks, so there parents stories would be boring. So the next spin off series about there children is going to be pretty awesome. The Second generation come with a whole lot more new challenges there parents never had to face, as there abilities take on new dimensions and such.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
Usually by the time I've finished a novel, the setting is trashed, half the cast is dead and the survivors are traumatised, so there's not a whole lot of opportunity for a second generation. :tongue

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
hehehehehe. Yeah I have the whole series (and next one) plotted out and decided a LONG LONG time ago never to kill off another MC... so there is totally going to be a second gen... plus there abilities are going to be SOOOOOO awesome!

Although I really really really want to write a sort of Adult in between little series... Between the First and Second gen, when my MC's are just starting there careers and just becoming parents, because i have like a million little stories written from that time frame that are funny and cute and sad and have sooooooo much character development and explain so much for why the kids are the way they are in the second gen and such but i doubt they will ever see the light of day.

I was thinking i could just add some of the little stories in the second gen as a story Addy's mom told her or something... but i dont know if a mom would really tell her 13-15 year old daughter the story when she found out she was pregnant or Laura's postpartum depression or misscarrage... and other stuff...

comped

Why Me Worry?
Registered
Reaction score
Although I really really really want to write a sort of Adult in between little series... Between the First and Second gen, when my MC's are just starting there careers and just becoming parents, because i have like a million little stories written from that time frame that are funny and cute and sad and have sooooooo much character development and explain so much for why the kids are the way they are in the second gen and such but i doubt they will ever see the light of day.

I was thinking i could just add some of the little stories in the second gen as a story Addy's mom told her or something... but i dont know if a mom would really tell her 13-15 year old daughter the story when she found out she was pregnant or Laura's postpartum depression or misscarrage... and other stuff...

Do what I do. Write a play about it.

comped