Teens Writing for Teens, issue 6

Bookgirl2021

"If I had a heart, I'd give it to you."
Registered
Reaction score
That I can think of off the top of my head, only two things I've ever worked on have had multiple POV. AM (which wasn't planned, but became necessary), and this story I started sometime in high school. I may go back to that story some day, but... I kind of doubt it.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
Morning team.

Not a big fan of multiple first-person viewpoints. Most characters sound similar enough that giving them identical pronouns makes them impossible to tell apart. I read Mar1e Lu's L3GEND and the dual first-person viewpoint only made it painfully obvious that the male and female lead only had one personality between them. It's possible to do it well, but most examples I've read have been badly done.

Thalia

better off with a really good lie
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, very true. I'm not the hugest fan of first-person- like, some of my favorite books are in first person (hello, To Kill A Mockingbird). I've written some stuff in first person- stuff I really like.

But first person is not usually my first choice.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
I love first person.

On the Glee thing - so excited to watch!! And the songs are so inspiring (that was for Matt!!)

Not going to write til later, but I know I'm going to make Will's life hell at the end of this chapter. Well, afterlife. :tongue

Bookgirl2021

"If I had a heart, I'd give it to you."
Registered
Reaction score
I did a physical therapy session for my knee last night, and while it feels great it's also like, "Oh yeah...this is what it feels like after a workout...." But it's good. I feel so much better now than I have in months. :D

Taylor_Writes

#teampeeta
Registered
Reaction score
I prefer writing in third person. I don't mind reading first person, but I can't write it for very long.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
Going to charge the ipod up for when I write later. Bye for now :)

dystophil

Wielder of the Literary Lead Pipe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alexharrow.blogspot.com
I think multiple first is really hard to do unless you have really distinct voices. I tried it once with the result that I totally changed things up so that the snarky character with the much more distinct voice turned into the protagonist, because he was so much more fun.

I actually find it helpful not to be able to directly look into a character's head by not making them a PoV MC. In a way there's so much more you can do with characters if you're not directly inside their head, so to speak. Of course I like manipulative, secretly evil characters for whom this works quite nicely, but it's definitely been a huge learning experience for me.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
Ely, have you watched the season finale of The Secret Circle yet?

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
Same here! Such an annoying ending for me!

Writing is going well, despite my cold.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
OMG please! Let me know if you hear anything else!

How is your writing going?