Teens Writing for Teens, issue 6

MysteryRiter

Murder isn't so bad...
Registered
Reaction score
Don't tell them your age. If you have a great query letter for a great book, they'll buy it. At the point of signing the contract, you tell them you're a minor and your parents will need to sign the contract for you. Problem solved.

*raises hand*

I get this. I really do. What I'm wondering is: is it smart to put age at the very end of a full? An agent would have decided whether the novel is good or not by then, right? If they read that much but decide to reject it, mentioning age seems like it would inspire an agent to provide a more thorough critique. But if the agent already was seriously considering repping it, teenage progidy can't hurt, either, as a marketing tool.

...Is that right? Just something I've been wondering.

Elysium

believe
Registered
Reaction score
In my computer....most of the time and Pennsylvani
If you're struggling to complete a full-length novel, you could try building up from short stories to longer works. Actually, if you're having real difficulty finishing anything, you could be a cynic and just write THE END on your work in progress. Everything can be fixed in revisions, including not having an ending of any kind. :tongue

Short stories are so hard to write lol

I haven't written one in ages though. But I used to be able to finish things. It's just... I've gotten lazy in my old age. :D

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
Not sure how you could gracefully mention your age at the very end of a full. THE END, PS. I'm thirteen?

dystophil

Wielder of the Literary Lead Pipe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alexharrow.blogspot.com
Ely, if YOU are old, Para and I are creaky. :tongue

ETA: MR, I've read some agents who said to mention our age in your query if you're 16 or ounger, but really, I think that might just make your querying life harder. Depends on whether you're more worried about getting form rejections or agents underestimating you because of your age, I guess. I'd go with just not telling them until they voice definite interest, to be quite honest.

Last edited:

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
Short stories are so hard to write lol

I haven't written one in ages though. But I used to be able to finish things. It's just... I've gotten lazy in my old age. :D

That's not going to cut it, soldier. Drop and give me ten pages at the double. :tongue

Elysium

believe
Registered
Reaction score
In my computer....most of the time and Pennsylvani
Dys - I LOVE Fire. Haven't read Graceling or Bitterblue yet. But I think I will reread Fire and pick it apart. Thanks for the recs! :)

And you and Para aren't creaky. I'm just an old lady trapped in a teenager's body.

ETA: Ten pages....?! o_O

dystophil

Wielder of the Literary Lead Pipe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alexharrow.blogspot.com
Oh, also, the first Earthsea book for classic YA EF. I'll love Ursula K. LeGuin forever for the fact that she got twelve-year-old me back into reading fantasy. :)

Para needs a drill sergeant's whistle. :tongue

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
She was the year above Harry. SHE SHOULD NOT HAVE BEEN THERE.

MysteryRiter

Murder isn't so bad...
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I was just curious. :)

Bookgirl2021

"If I had a heart, I'd give it to you."
Registered
Reaction score
I'd seriously think about it. I love the countryside, so I understand why you might be wary about living in London, but it's not forever - I survived it. There may not be stars at night, but there are planes in the sky, and little bits of history in plaques on the walls, and hidden rivers that run in channels beneath bridges. Expensive, though.

It's that last thing that's the biggest roadblock. I've always wanted to go to England, but have never been able to afford it. I guess I'll try to finish my stupid associates (which I'm one math class short of), and see where I'm at financially after that.

...I'm also kind of waiting for this guy to get home and see if anything happens with him. I know it's stupid to not do things because of something that probably won't happen, but.... I don't want to always wonder what would've happened if I'd stuck around. *shrug*

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
It's that last thing that's the biggest roadblock. I've always wanted to go to England, but have never been able to afford it. I guess I'll try to finish my stupid associates (which I'm one math class short of), and see where I'm at financially after that.

...I'm also kind of waiting for this guy to get home and see if anything happens with him. I know it's stupid to not do things because of something that probably won't happen, but.... I don't want to always wonder what would've happened if I'd stuck around. *shrug*

Yeah, I don't want to undersell how expensive it is. I paid £6000 for a year's accommodation, bills included. Peak-time daily travel will set you back another £80 a month. Groceries cost more, eating out costs way more. But I made it - I was even running a surplus at the end of the year. It's not impossible. You do have to be financially disciplined, so if shopping is your therapy, I'd be nervous. Kyrie would be able to advise you better about the finances of studying abroad.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
Harry Potter is giving me chills. I am crying.

DEFEND HOGWARTS!!!

Bookgirl2021

"If I had a heart, I'd give it to you."
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I don't want to undersell how expensive it is. I paid £6000 for a year's accommodation, bills included. Peak-time daily travel will set you back another £80 a month. Groceries cost more, eating out costs way more. But I made it - I was even running a surplus at the end of the year. It's not impossible. You do have to be financially disciplined, so if shopping is your therapy, I'd be nervous. Kyrie would be able to advise you better about the finances of studying abroad.

Then I guess it's lucky for me that going on walks, writing, reading, and music are my therapies. :D

And it would be *SOOOO* awesome to be there. I mean... The history alone has been reason enough for me to dream of it basically all my life. Add to it the experiences, the new ideas/perspective, the opportunities that it would present if I were to go in the next couple of years.....