Teens Writing for Teens, issue 6

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
I was just like: OMFG SHE'S COOL AND WE'D GET ALONG AND OMG.

comped

Why Me Worry?
Registered
Reaction score
Hello! New teen YA writer here.

I'm in high school, and write about high school characters. My novel i'm about to write, terrornet, about some kids and their teacher who travel through time, get in crazy situations, and even fight terrorists, has a bit of an edge to it, in the way of sex, swears, and drugs.

I also have a 1 act play about teen pregnancy, The facts of romance, and the edge (the swearing, and stated sex) is making it hard to get it published, let alone preformed!

comped

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
Hello!! I'm Lisa. :)

Two of our traditional TWFTIE questions:

What do you like to be called?
How old are you?

comped

Why Me Worry?
Registered
Reaction score
Hello!! I'm Lisa. :)

Two of our traditional TWFTIE questions:

What do you like to be called?
How old are you?

Lisa:

you can call me Matt (or comped, if you wish)

and I'm currently 15. (freshie in HS...yay.)

comped

comped

Why Me Worry?
Registered
Reaction score
Hi HR. (and parametric)

I really would like to find a composer for my musical version of my play that's about my age, but I have had no such luck.

Never mind that publishers turn me down due to my age... :|

I still can't get my plot out...

Horserider

Ever onward
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone feel old now? No? Just me? :tongue

Yes. :tongue Even though I'm still younger than you.

Hi HR. (and parametric)

I really would like to find a composer for my musical version of my play that's about my age, but I have had no such luck.

I still can't get my plot out...

Keep trying! I don't know much about plays, unfortunately.

comped

Why Me Worry?
Registered
Reaction score
Keep trying! I don't know much about plays, unfortunately.

it's actually easier then writing YA. You don't need to describe, only give dialogue and the occasional stage direction

comped

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score

Don't tell them your age. If you have a great query letter for a great book, they'll buy it. At the point of signing the contract, you tell them you're a minor and your parents will need to sign the contract for you. Problem solved.

Yes. :tongue Even though I'm still younger than you.

I have two degrees, a bank loan and a freelance business. And Matt is 15. *sobs* Anyone want to fill in my self-assessment tax return? :tongue

comped

Why Me Worry?
Registered
Reaction score
Don't tell them your age. If you have a great query letter for a great book, they'll buy it. At the point of signing the contract, you tell them you're a minor and your parents will need to sign the contract for you. Problem solved.

I have two degrees, a bank loan and a freelance business. And Matt is 15. *sobs* Anyone want to fill in my self-assessment tax return? :tongue

1st: that makes scene.

2nd: At least I'm not going to Harvard. Plan to go to some school (NYU or the like) for playwriting, or Yale for acting.

comped

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
Sounds expensive. I just finished my postgrad at University College London. Also expensive, but not at the crazy levels of an American university.

comped

Why Me Worry?
Registered
Reaction score
Sounds expensive. I just finished my postgrad at University College London. Also expensive, but not at the crazy levels of an American university.

nice. Postgrad in what may I ask?

comped

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
I am not planning on doing a postgraduate course. Being an undergradute is stressful enough as it is.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
Double post, but snippet!! Because I think this scene is amusing and I want to share it with you guys. :)

I paid for lunch and sat down. The smell of blood had been threatening to overwhelm from the moment I sat down in the queue, but Carlos had whispered in my ear and calmed me down, and for that, I was extremely grateful.

I was eating when Carlos nudged me.

“What?” I asked, swallowing a piece of chicken.

He cocked his head to one side and grinned. I looked over at where he had cocked his head and a swarm of butterflies started flying around my stomach. Ruby was standing in the queue, her hair plaited. As usual, she was wearing a really cute granny cardigan, bright red Converse and tight black skinny jeans, which empathised her adorable little ass. But what I was hoping wasn’t going to happen did happen. I had a very uncomfortable lump in my jeans, to put it quite simply.

“Is there any way to stop these –” I pointed at my balls, “from going crazy?”

Carlos grinned at me. “Not really, no. You’ll just have to let it sort itself out.”

I groaned. He just laughed and I punched him in the arm.

“Ow!” he said, but then he grinned. I knew it hadn’t hurt him really. He had told me that vampires were stronger, and less weakened, than humans, and besides, he was over a hundred years old, and I was only a few days old, so I wouldn’t be strong enough to hurt him yet, anyway.

“Sorry!” I smirked and carried on eating.

He grinned and finished his dinner. As usual, he hadn’t eaten much, but now I knew why, I didn’t say anything.

When we finished, we went outside and sat on our favourite bench. Watching groups of guys playing football and groups of girls standing around gossiping was a pretty weird experience, now that I was a vampire.

“Does being a vampire affect you having relationships?” I asked.

Carlos stared at me. “Why are you even asking me that question?”

I stared back at him. His brown eyes seemed to be x-raying me. “I’m just wondering.” I bit my lip, wondering if he could see through the lie.

“This is about Ruby, isn’t it?”

I nodded, feeling my face heat up. Apparently, being a vampire didn’t stop you from blushing.

“Well, when I went to New York for a while in the eighties, I met a girl called Sally.” He grinned. “She was gorgeous. She had long blonde hair and striking ice blue eyes. She was also human.” His eyes glinted with pleasure and he twitched. “I told her I’m a vampire and she was perfectly fine with it. Apparently, she’d always believed in vampires. We had a wonderful relationship for a very long time, and it was only when she insisted that she wanted to be a vampire that I left her. Does that answer your question?” He grinned.

“Sort of, I think.” I said. “Why did you break up with her?”

“Because not only was she determined to be a vampire, she was needy, whiny and just plain annoying after a while.”

“So like Bella from Twilight, then?” I smirked.

“Yeah, basically.”

We laughed and I felt a lot better, knowing that it was possible to lead a half-normal life as a vampire.

“Trust me, it’s not as bad as you think, being a vampire.” Carlos said.

“If you say so.” I smiled.

“I do,” he smiled.

Horserider

Ever onward
Registered
Reaction score
Also, HR, what is Weredragon about?

In a nutshell: It's about a female weredragon and the boy who falls in love with her.

Longer version: Every night, Helena Frost turns into a dragon. Longing for a normal life, she enrolls in the local high school. There she meets Troy and when he starts to get too close to her, she tries to push him away. He follows her home from school one night and sees her transform. As her transformations last longer and longer, it becomes a race against time for them to find a cure...before she becomes a dragon permanently.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
Oooh. Sounds awesome.

Finally going to watch my DVD of HPDHP2 ... and the case doesn't want to open.

Elysium

believe
Registered
Reaction score
In my computer....most of the time and Pennsylvani
In a nutshell: It's about a female weredragon and the boy who falls in love with her.

Longer version: Every night, Helena Frost turns into a dragon. Longing for a normal life, she enrolls in the local high school. There she meets Troy and when he starts to get too close to her, she tries to push him away. He follows her home from school one night and sees her transform. As her transformations last longer and longer, it becomes a race against time for them to find a cure...before she becomes a dragon permanently.

Sounds good.

Reminds me of Other by Karen Kincy. Only the main character didn't transform into a dragon and the love interest wasn't human.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score

I have a dragon shapeshifting story lined up too! I'm looking forward to bone-crunching, car-crushing action scenes. :D

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
The DVD still had the security tag on it. Mum took it off for me.