Teens Writing for Teens, issue 6

KarlaErikaCal

YA romance writer in love with love
Registered
Reaction score
I fell in love within 3 days of meeting Zack. It was definitely NOT lust. I was even turned off by his tattoos/piercings initially (but that quickly changed since he was really nice) and the first 2 days, I even still had a crush on a guy at school. But Day 3, I fell in love with Zack on a deeply emotional level. That day, I realized he "got me" and I'd been waiting for SOMEONE for YEARS since I first got depressed who could do that for me.

So it IS possible. :D

Thalia

better off with a really good lie
Registered
Reaction score
I don't consider Romeo & Juliet romantic at all. I read it as a story of how fragile teenagers are and how horribly repressive parents can affect them.

As for cheating, depending on the age it is DEFINITELY not the same. I'm not talking about how MUCH you hurt, I'm talking about how many people you hurt. No matter how serious the teenage relationship is (and I generally don't believe in serious teen relationships, because I'm, a pessimist and cynic), cheating as a teenager will not cause NEARLY as much pain as it would when there is family and money and property and a life involved.

I mean, the heartbreak might be the same, but you suffer a lot worse when you go through a divorce and your family is broken apart and you lose your house and your money, etc, etc.

I don't think murder and cheating are comparable, though, because like I said, no matter how much it might hurt to be cheated on, you still have your life which means that you are able to move past that- maybe not right away, but you have that option. You can't exactly move past being dead. It's pretty permanent, unless you're Jesus.

ETA: I think it's possible to fall in love quickly- I mean, some people fall in love with their children basically the second they find out they're pregnant. And when I went to Italy with my band and the art class for a week, by the end of that week I loved all of those people, even the ones I only talked to for the first time halfway through the trip. I've never fallen in romantic love, but I view all types of love as being, like, subgenres of love, so it'd be hypocritical of me to suggest otherwise.

amlptj

Speling & grammer murderer, Sorrie!
Registered
Reaction score
Awwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!

Ok I stand corrected!

ETA: This was meant for Karla. I still hold my views about the other stuff.

Thalia

Registered
Reaction score
Okay then. I just don't think the pain of being cheated on and the pain of being murdered are comparable- but we don't really know, 'cause no one's ever come back to compare them for us :tongue

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
I never said the pain was comparable i said i think its as bad as. Like I feel a cheater is as bad as a murderer. Again just my opinion.

Thalia

Registered
Reaction score
Eh, I disagree, because murder is almost always premeditated and cheating almost never is.

However, my views on marriage and such are very different because I grew up in a part of Montreal where every single divorce is caused by adultery! And about half of my friends' parents are divorced. And I have a lot of friends. And I like most of their parents. Every situation is different! Also... totally not my problem!

But again, also just my opinion. Agree to disagree, I guess?

KarlaErikaCal

YA romance writer in love with love
Registered
Reaction score
What I find romantic about R&J are the words spoken out of love and that it's a classic star-crossed lovers story, which is one of the most heart-wrenching types of romances for me.

Ally - :D I would've agreed with you if I hadn't experienced it firsthand. Before Zack, I would've said it's impossible too lol

Elysium

believe
Registered
Reaction score
In my computer....most of the time and Pennsylvani
Hey everyone!

I don't have any homework today so I'm writing. I also 'outlined' the first act of my wip and am now starting over. Well, not completely. I'm just rewriting the first chapter.

What do you guys think of this new opening?

My mother’s body lies in an unmarked grave just outside the castle’s walls. That is where the king buries his traitors, and come sundown tomorrow, that is where my beheaded corpse will be laid to rest.

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I don't have any homework today so I'm writing. I also 'outlined' the first act of my wip and am now starting over. Well, not completely. I'm just rewriting the first chapter.

What do you guys think of this new opening?

Pulled me right in! I think its awesome!!!

Thalia

Registered
Reaction score
That from OSAI, Ely? It's good, but make sure the next para explains that it's fantasy! Otherwise, I'd be like "HELLO HENRY VIII, NICE TO SEE YOU AGAIN".

As for writing... I wrote some Sherlockettes! Okay, it was three hundred words, but it's the first I've written in two weeks!

My R&J feelings can be summed up in this Sherlockettes snippet:

Thursday was the first day the teachers assigned homework, and while she and other girls groaned, Sophie didn’t think it sounded like much work at all. Half a page of math and five hundred words on her summer vacation was maybe a half-hour of work, if she turned off her phone and didn’t look at the Internet.

Of course, it only took Veronika five minutes at lunch to do the math, and another five to finish the essay.

“Oh, hooray!” cheered Danielle. “Look at you, doing your homework! I feel so much pride in my heart.”

“Is this a rare event?” asked Sophie.

Danielle nodded. “’tis indeed,” she said. “Usually, our resident sociopath doesn’t do her homework, and must rely on excellent test scores to pass!”

“Those must be really excellent test scores,” said Sophie.

Danielle nodded. “We are truly friends with a genius sociopath indeed!”

“I am not a genius or a sociopath,” said Veronika, though she didn’t look as put out as she sounded.

Danielle hugged her. “Of course not,” she said.

Veronika attempted to swat her away, like she was some sort of fly.

“Dani!” called a voice behind them. Danielle let go of the taller girl—to her relief—and ran off toward Rachel Silverstein.

“Rachel, oh cousin of mine, how art thou?” she asked, flinging her arms open to hug the girl.

Rachel glared at Sophie. “You gave her chocolate, didn’t you?” She sighed, pushing her cousin off. “Our class made a pact to never feed her caffeine in the middle of the day after the afternoon in middle school when she jumped on the desk and began reciting something from Macbeth.”

Sophie bit her lip. “Well, the English teacher must have appreciated that—“

“It was in Geography.”

“Oh,” said Sophie. “Well… um, sorry.”

Rachel sighed again. “Whatever.” She looked back at Danielle. “Anyway, don’t worry about Saturday dinner. The not-sister’s going out with her not-girlfriend, so it doesn’t matter.”

Not-girlfriend? wondered Sophie.

“Not-girlfriend?” said Veronika. “Was that her response to the first time you called her your not-sister?”

“Will you do my math homework if I tell you?” asked Rachel.

“I’ll take that as a yes,” said Veronika.

Rachel groaned. “One of these days,” she said, “I will find a good bargaining chip. And then you will be at my mercy.”

“Can’t wait,” drawled Veronika.

Rachel rolled her eyes and grabbed Danielle’s hand. “Time for French,” she said, dragging the girl off. “You two have fun in your super-advanced-mother’s-tongue class. Us mediocre girls will attempt to spell some three letter words.” She then rounded on Danielle. “If you start shouting “unsex me here” this time, I will slap the daylights out of you.”

“’Unsex me here’?” repeated Sophie as the other girls went down the hall.

“Did they not teach Macbeth at your old school?” asked Veronika, still looking at her laptop. “Pity.”

“That’s the one where he kills the king and goes insane, right?” asked Sophie.

“Yes, if you were explaining the story to children.”

Sophie ignored the insult. “Is that Dani’s favorite Shakespeare play?”

“Yes,” came Veronika’s reply.

Sophie bit her lip. “What’s Rachel’s favorite?” she asked. “If she has one. I mean, most teenagers don’t—”

Richard III,” interrupted Veronika.

Sophie blinked in surprise. “And yours?”

Veronika was silent for a moment. “Romeo and Juliet,” she replied, in a smaller voice.

Sophie tried not to laugh. “You like romance?” she asked, in the least judgmental voice she could muster.

Veronika rolled her eyes. “Romeo and Juliet isn’t a romance,” she said, with an exasperated sigh. “It’s about parents who mistreat their children and end up suffering as a result.” She paused for a moment. “And I do like that.”

Rachel's parents both had affairs and have children from outside their marriage. Rachel's dad is a huge douche, Rachel's mom is flighty and absent. Rachel is incredibly screwed up as a result and has serious trust and self-esteem and daddy issues.

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
Its not. Honestly I think its decided i might be quieting for a long while.

Dont know whats wrong with me but i just cant write anything anymore. So guess thats a sign to stop.

Elysium

believe
Registered
Reaction score
In my computer....most of the time and Pennsylvani
Ally - *hugs* It's okay to take a break if needed. I remember taking three months off from writing once and it really helped me out. I ended up writing an (almost) novel in two months.

Tally - Your dialogue is GENIOUS, I tell you. Genious! I really like your characters and the way they interact with each other. :D

But thanks and yes, it's from OSAI.

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
besides my 12 day novel, i haven't written in months anyway.

I've taken breaks before, a few months at a time, but never like this...

Thalia

Registered
Reaction score
I am watching it now! Just got home. I'm at the part when... how to not be spoilery... Elena got to school.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
Yay.

Snippet of Invincible. The opening. Just because.

My name is Will Cross. I used to be a human who wouldn't have hurt a fly. Now I am a vampire and I have murdered. This is my story.

#

I opened the door and walked into the stuffy, stale hallways of George Ellis Secondary School. As usual, the smell of sweat overwhelmed me and I nearly gagged. I went to the bathroom and had a piss. I could hear someone shitting in the cubicle behind me. The door opened and the boy inside came out.

“Getting ready to drink your piss, eh?”

Ethan went to the sink and washed his hands. I went to the only remaining working sink – next to him – and started to wash mine. He started to try and dry his hands in my hair, but I moved away.

“Fuck off.” I dried my hands and started to leave the bathroom.

“Don’t want to.”

I left. The bell rung and I went to registration, hoping to sit as far away from Ethan and his mates as I could.

Sadly, that wasn’t the case. Liam and Luke were standing outside the classroom, smirks all over their faces.

“Hey, Will,” Liam called, “have you arranged your funeral yet?”

“Shut up!” I sat down and waited for our tutor, Mr Turner to appear.

“Not going to!” They laughed.

Luke called, “You’ll have to remember to order the flowers for your mum to put on your grave!”

“I said shut up!” I got up to hit him, but Mr Turner appeared.

“Trying to fight, boys?”

“No, sir.” Luke said, his eyes glinting.

“Good, otherwise I’d have to put you in detention.” He smiled one of his evil smiles. “Now go inside.”

We went inside and I sat the back, hoping to avoid everyone that was in the room at the moment. But I kept an eye out for who came through the door.

A few minutes later, she came through the door. Ruby, otherwise know as the most beautiful girl ever. But as fucking usual, she was hanging off Ethan’s arm. She smiled. As cheesy as it sounds, I had butterflies in my stomach. Just behind them, Carlos walked in.

Carlos is one of those people that needs explaining. He’s really weird and speaks in a weird accent, which he says is to do with the fact that he’s Italian but has spent a lot of time here, which is weird to me because he hasn’t been here long, or so he says. I reckon he’s an illegal immigrant or something. He does some really weird things sometimes, like sniffing when someone’s got a cut or licking his lips at pictures of dead things. But he’s my closest friend and I don’t know what I’d do without him to be honest.

He sat next to me and clapped on the back. “How was your weekend?”

“Same old shit as usual.” I sat back and closed my eyes.

“Oh, dear.”

I could hear everyone else coming in. I didn’t open my eyes until the sound got so unbearable, I had to. Mr Turner was sitting at his desk, eyes scanning the room. I sat up. He started taking the register and I counted down the seconds until I could escape, just like I did every single day.