Teens Writing for Teens, issue 6

Horserider

Ever onward
Registered
Reaction score
I usually stick to canon. The only relationship I'd actually watch (not saying that I would fan girl or whatever... Hopefully you get the idea that I don't really ship anything unless it is canon, and sometimes not even then) would have have to be Amy and the Doctor.

Lololololololol. That sounded confusing and weird and I'm probably making a fool of myself and maybe no one agrees with me.

I stick to canon for the most part. In fanfiction, I'm a huge Drarry and Dramione shipper, though.

I would have shipped Amy and the Doctor in early series five but now I just want Rory to have his happy ending. Plus I've become an avid Doctor/River shipper.

MargoWest

the chart is not the sea
Registered
Reaction score
Most of the couples I'd be interested to see are really strong friends, so I'm fine with them either turning into a couple or staying as they are. I really like exploring how strong friendships can be without sex coming into the equation. But then again, sex makes everything more fun! So... I'm usually happy either way. :tongue

Taylor_Writes

#teampeeta
Registered
Reaction score
Ah, I see. That makes sense.

*yawns* okay, I'm hitting the bunk. Night, guys.

amlptj

Speling & grammer murderer, Sorrie!
Registered
Reaction score
Because I just logged on and am reading through the conversations, i'd figured i'd put in my input.

I like my last name regardless of the fact its my fathers last name and I never knew him, then he died. Oh well, i still resent him slightly for that fact. My parents never married either but my mom was traditional in the sense i should have his last name, also it fits better with my first name then her last name.

When i get married i wouldn't mind taking my husbands name, I don't see anything wrong with taking your husbands last name. In reality when a couple gets married they can change there last names to ANYTHING! (Which is what my MC is UZ do.) I see it more as a family coming together to share everything including a last name. Sadly i'm very disappointed by Will's last name. I hate plain/common names and Davis is the 6th most popular last name in the US. Plus, Ally Davis doesn't have as nice of a ring as Ally Medvec. This is why no matter if i'm unmarried or married when i publish my books the name on them will be Ally Medvec.

Also apparently according to my one professor my last name is "famous" and shows that everyone in my family is a genius. According to her i'm related to Einstein's first wife who was a genius in mathematics, and everyone is my family with my rare name have been amazing physicists and chemists and engineers. (Yeah i don't believe it either....I'm pretty sure my family would have been the ones who stole that last name from the smart guys in front of them in line when they came to america!)

Yukinara

The Exile
Registered
Reaction score
Sirius/Remus was fucking CANON, JK Rowling. It was CANON.

I love Tonks, but that was not the right relationship for her.

I actually REALLY wanted Tonks with a muggle, girl or boy.

really? I have to read that part again

Thalia

better off with a really good lie
Registered
Reaction score
Ally- I don't have a problem with people changing their last names due to marriage. I do have a problem with women always being expected to change their name to their husbands' and never the other way around.

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
Oh. I think its more a matter of tradition and also convince.

CharacterInWhite

Kind of a big deal
Registered
Reaction score
Challenging tradition now and then is a healthy way for society to evolve. If you never question said traditions, progress stagnates--and if you're not moving forward...

Marriage itself is becoming a bit of a dated concept, if divorce rates are anything to go by. But the good news is that men can take their wives' names. It's not like we need to throw a legal protest, as the option is there! Of course people are going to expect you to behave a certain way, but you know what I say to those people?

Fuck 'em.

If you want to take your husband's name, that's an option. If he wants to take yours, that's also an option. You know what else is an option? Forgoing all the ceremony and bureaucracy altogether.

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
So what about you. Always curious from a guys point of view. Would you take your wife's name?

I would think it was weird personally if Will took my last name. In fact i wouldn't want him too. He said he didn't care if i kept my name, but he wouldn't change his.

I'm a traditional person though. And i don't see it as sexiest. If it was forced then i'd see it as sexiest, but its not.

Thalia

better off with a really good lie
Registered
Reaction score
I see it as sexist because people so rarely question why a woman is expected to change a part of her identity for her husband.

Now, I'm not saying a woman can't change her name, or shouldn't. It's perfectly fine. The issue I take with it is that so many people just do it because it's tradition and don't think twice about what it actually means.

MargoWest

the chart is not the sea
Registered
Reaction score
Repeating myself from earlier in the thread, but my bf doesn't mind taking my name. :) I don't see why it should necessarily be the guy's name that gets taken, and I like my name more than I like his. I also think that "dad handing you over to husband" thing is total crap and will not be doing it. And I'll probably have both my parents walk me up the aisle, since having just the dad is another symbol of you passing out of the ownership of one man to another. Neither my dad nor my boyfriend think of me as their property, and I don't want anything in my life to suggest that they do.

Not to say that doing those things aren't legit choices, because if that's what you want, more power to you! But that's how I feel personally.

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
See i never see it as ownership now a days. I know that's why it was originally done or said to be done, but i don't see it that way. Like Margo said my boyfriend doesn't see me as property. And i myself don't have a dad, so I already plan on having my mom and grandmom walk me down the aisle, because they were the ones that raised me.

In catholic school i was taught the traditions meant different things with religious union kinds of meanings behind them. Plus i worked in a rectory and unfortunately had to listen to the pre-canon classes. (The priest spoke really loud and I was only a thin wall away.)

CharacterInWhite

Kind of a big deal
Registered
Reaction score
So what about you. Always curious from a guys point of view. Would you take your wife's name?
Absolutely. Then again, the type of women I'm attracted to are the willful, opinionated, and strong-willed ones that might ask that sort of thing of me.

Of course, there's also the marriage issue. I'm not certain I'll ever get married in the first place. I can stand behind a symbol to formalise a long term relationship, like a ring, but all the ceremony and pressure and expectations don't resonate with me. I wouldn't want to hold my girlfriend back from pursuing her dreams. Chances are, if she has a dream she wants to pursue, that's what attracted me to her in the first place. Why would I want to muck that up with marital obligations?

Bookgirl2021

"If I had a heart, I'd give it to you."
Registered
Reaction score
Call me traditional, but I have every intention of getting married, taking my husband's name, and (if he's able to be there) having my dad give me away. I want the guy to talk to my dad before asking me. I also plan on never going beyond kissing before I'm married (and that includes necking/petting). Once I have kids, I'm okay with being a stay-at-home mom as long as I'm able to go out with friends/my husband sometimes. ...I don't necessarily agree with some of the reasoning behind the "traditional roles," but I'm not against the roles themselves.

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
I'm traditional too. Me and Will also believe in no sex till marriage. Will already knows if he ever plans on proposing he has to ask my mom first. Sort of an old fashion twist. Not that my mom would ever agree at this point in our lives.

I've had my whole life when it come to marriage and kids planned out for a long long time. A detailed and very thought out and stable plan, that has nothing to do with the wedding itself like many other little girls dream about. No i was the weirdo, planning how long to work before i get married, how much money to save up for dream houses and such. The plan is so detailed i already have my future kids names picked out. Along with my future pets. And part of that plan includes, both Will and I being stay at home parents. (if all works out as planned)

Bookgirl2021

"If I had a heart, I'd give it to you."
Registered
Reaction score
If I meet the right guy, and I feel good about it, I'm not going to put off marriage for school or a career. Would it be nice to be out of school and in a comfortable position financially before marriage? Yeah, but as important as that is, it's not the most important thing to me.

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
That's where we differ.

I know a lot of people say love is all you really need to get married, but money makes it all so much easier. I've seen young kids (My cousin and kids in my HS) out of HS get married and then fall victim to many problems because they rushed into it without thinking about 1) Where are they going to live? So they end up in one of there parents basements 2) How are we going to pay bills? Because they didn't go to college they end up screwed out of most job opportunities. One usually tires to go to college while the other one works to support them both. This end with a horrible stress on the relationship. 3) They end up pregnant, then the above two complications get a whole lot worst.

I'm not saying this happens to everyone, not by a long shot, but This is one of my greatest fears, so i super plan out everything. Starting with making sure my bank account can handle me getting married. Also regardless how much I love Will, and trust him, and how long I've been with him, he's signing a pre-nub.

I realized i sound like a cold money obsessed person. Just want to say i'm not. I just want to make a better life for my kids then I had.