Teens Writing for Teens, issue 6

Horserider

Ever onward
Registered
Reaction score
I finally graduated with my associate's degree, so I am very happy about that! :) Writing a little here and there, but no epic story plot yet. :< How are you?

Congratulations!

Congrats on graduating!

I'm great. I am trying to stay focused on one wip but so many of my other ones are starting to look...shiny lol

Lol I hate it when that happens.

KarlaErikaCal

YA romance writer in love with love
Registered
Reaction score
Good morning!

Hi, comped! I don't think we've met!

comped

Why Me Worry?
Registered
Reaction score
It appears we have not!

I'm Matt/comped BTW. I write YA and plays. need 2 more posts to post my 1 act.

comped

KarlaErikaCal

Registered
Reaction score
Hi! I'll call you Matt! And SO COOL about writing plays. That's awesome!

comped

Why Me Worry?
Registered
Reaction score
Here's the summary:

The facts of romance begins in the drama classroom of Mr. John McIntyre. there we meet William Potter, his brother Charles, and friend Sydney Freedman, all freshmen hoping to survive high school- or at least Freshman year. Then, after meeting Mr. McIntyre, three girls come in late. They are Margaret Blake, Degrassi Nelson, and Spike Ryan, all seniors, and all of whom catch the eyes of the three teen male characters. William then asks out Margaret. William tells his parents, Henry, a former west-end and Broadway actor, and Lorraine that he has to go to the library to study- which is certainly not the case! From there, we meet her parents, Sherman, a former navy SEAL and current postal worker, and his wife Lorraine. They express surprise to Margaret's date, especially Sherman. William comes to Margaret's house, and gets a firm monologue from Sherman about what he expects. They then go to the Super fancy, super expensive restaurant, which is not super fancy, and only super expensive. The waiter asks them what they want to drink, and Margaret asks for strong alcohol, which William says is illegal. He opts for A&W root beer instead. Eventually, they both end up drunk, and finding that it is past their curfew, ask for two separate rooms in the budget motel that happens to operate in the restaurant's building as well. The waiter lies and tells them that the only two non-suite rooms have no heat, and so they take a suite. Then, we then see the classroom. Mr. McIntyre returned from jury duty in the 3 months between the date scene and that scene. Margaret tells William that she's pregnant. They then go off and tell their parents. William's parents are enraged, but not as much as Sherman and Mildred. They scream, and shout, and then invite the Potter's over to scream some more. They do. Then Charles and the other kids come and tell a story of the love between Margaret and William. Then William proposes. The wedding is held in the school's gym, officiated by the Reverend Dr. Lucille Johnson, a friend of Mr. McIntyre from the war. They get married, and Henry tells Sherman that he found pregnancy strips in the rooms of the friends (who happen to be Henry's kids), and Sherman says he found a text on Charles' phone to that same effect. The play closes with the two asking for a shot-gun and affirming each other that they're going straight to hell.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
I'm debating making a Tumblr and new Twitter. The Twitter will be mostly for following people

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score

Yikes! All 7000 words in one post? You'll probably get more response if you only post 1500 words at a time. I'd also proofread carefully for spelling and grammar - people are more inclined to put effort into something if they see you've put effort into it too. Finally, people are more likely to critique you if they see you critiquing others. You get back what you put in. Just a few quick thoughts - that SYW forum is usually dead, so you may need all the help you can get. :tongue

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
Today was episode three of the Para and Kyrie Show. We went to the British Museum and then got pancakes. It's our season finale, since Kyrie is heading back to the US in a few days. :(

KarlaErikaCal

Registered
Reaction score
(((Hugs Para))) It's awesome you guys have got to hang out though!

comped

Why Me Worry?
Registered
Reaction score
Yikes! All 7000 words in one post? You'll probably get more response if you only post 1500 words at a time. I'd also proofread carefully for spelling and grammar - people are more inclined to put effort into something if they see you've put effort into it too. Finally, people are more likely to critique you if they see you critiquing others. You get back what you put in. Just a few quick thoughts - that SYW forum is usually dead, so you may need all the help you can get. :tongue

How should I split it up then? by scene? (it's only a 1 act, so I can't split by act)

comped

Thalia

better off with a really good lie
Registered
Reaction score
YAY VAMPIRE DIARIES.

So, two hours straight of Glee tonight! This will either be two hours of glorious television or the worst trainwreck in Fox history. Can't wait :D

By the way, I FINALLY got to The Avengers last night! And it was the best movie of the year, full stop. Sorry Hunger Games, you were good, but this movie... wow.

KarlaErikaCal

Registered
Reaction score
You can't really "split" them up. Usually people just post one snippet of up to 1500 words (I think that's the norm WC) and get thoughts on that. If you want a critique for the whole thing, I'd suggest finding someone else to read it. You can put up a request on the beta forum. (I think it's a forum at least).

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
Tally do you think its worth it getting a tumblr and twitter