I don't like Bob Dylan

Sarashay

Shut Up and Write
Registered
Reaction score
I have a Pandora station that I set up by starting with Nick Drake. While this station has introduced me to the joys of Elliott Smith and Iron & Wine, it also keeps trying to shove Bob Dylan and Neil Young at me. I keep hitting the thumbs down on those in the hopes that maybe one day the algorithm will take the hint.

Fuchsia, I'm not sure why you assume that Sirs McCartney and Jagger should give a good goddamn what anybody thinks about whether they should continue to write and record music. I know if somebody told me to stop writing because my best work was behind me I'd laugh in their damn face and keep writing just to piss them off.

Hip-Hop-a-potamus

My rhymes are bottomless
Registered
Reaction score
That said, he, McCartney/Starr, and the Stones need to retire already. Not a one of them has produced anything worth listening to since the seventies, IMO.

That's complete crap.

McCartney's collaboration with Elvis Costello a few years ago was fabulous (example "My Brave Face"). And the Stones put out some great music in the 80s ("Start Me Up," "Undercover," "Waiting for a Friend," etc.)

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Exactly. I love 'All Along The Watchtower', but not performed by Dylan.

Dylan is the quintessential singer/songwriter who shouldn't sing the songs he writes.

A perfect example of this was when The O'Jays (you know, the guys who did "Love Train") had one of their last big hits with "Emotionally Yours." Turns out it was written by Bob Dylan. Who knew?

That's almost as unlikely a connection as Donna Summer and Bruce Springsteen working together---but they did. :Hug2:

lorna_w

Hybrid Grump
Registered
Reaction score
Blood in the Tracks seems uneven to me, and I think the basement tapes showcase the height of his talent. But as writers, you have to like some of those lyrics, even if you hate everything else about him, don't you? How can a writer complain about a guy who compares bad moments in his love life to those of Rimbaud and Verlaine. And make it rhyme. c'mon, that's cherce!

But if I can recommend an album for you on the fence to go download: A Nod To Bob, several different people covering several songs. And if you go download, for 99 cents, only one of those songs, get Martin Simpson's cover of "Boots of Spanish Leather," for Simpson's exquisite guitar tone and a vocal performance that moves me to tears most times I listen to it. What a narrative tale, too; how could you experience that and blanket-condemn Dylan.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
I understand why many wouldn't like his voice. He obviously doesn't have the typical great singing voice. But he knows how to deliver a song and a lyric, which is more to admire because it comes from a deeper place and takes years of living with your eyes open to develop. You're born with a Joni Mitchell or a Paul McCartney or a Kenny Rankin voice or you are not. And I won't even get into the crooners like Vic Damone or Steve Lawrence that have incredible instruments but whose delivery often lacks depth of understanding and musicality. Granted there are those that have both, but if I have to choose between one and the other, I'll always take Billie Holiday over Michael Buble.

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I was ambivalent about Dylan for a long time - liked some of his songs pretty well, like Tangled Up in Blue, and Shelter from the Storm.

Then I heard the one song that, for me, makes his talent unimpeachable:

Neighborhood Bully.

The tune is average, but I was stunned by the empathy for a contrary viewpoint, the force he generated with only a simple vocabulary, and the kick in the gut it left me with.

Songs like Neighborhood Bully and Man of Peace probably need a strident voice like his. Dylan's voice is kind of like Steve Buscemi's face: it's not what you would choose, but sometimes it's perfect for the character.

savagelilies

'til the end of time
Registered
Reaction score
Songs like Neighborhood Bully and Man of Peace probably need a strident voice like his. Dylan's voice is kind of like Steve Buscemi's face: it's not what you would choose, but sometimes it's perfect for the character.

:ROFL:

I would always choose Steve Buscemi. He's flawless. :D

Not to derail. I love Bob Dylan, for the record, and I absolutely adore Neil Young. I don't find his voice weird at all, though... I'm not sure why you would? Well, okay, I guess I can see why you would. But, I was raised on Neil Young, and as a consequence I can't really see the flaws... so I don't get the hate at all. Whatever, heh. I don't really have much to contribute to this thread other than to be a contrarian.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Not to derail. I love Bob Dylan, for the record, and I absolutely adore Neil Young. I don't find his voice weird at all, though... I'm not sure why you would? Well, okay, I guess I can see why you would. But, I was raised on Neil Young, and as a consequence I can't really see the flaws... so I don't get the hate at all. Whatever, heh. I don't really have much to contribute to this thread other than to be a contrarian.

It's not hate for Dylan as much as it is preference.

Preference for strawberry and not vanilla. Preference for brunette over blonde. Preference for Homer Simpson over Peter Griffin.

Preference for Bob Dylan the songwriter over Bob Dylan the singer.

Last edited:

savagelilies

'til the end of time
Registered
Reaction score
You're right--absolutely right. I definitely could have been more careful in my diction, and "hate" is probably too strong a word for what I meant. "Dislike" is a better word for what I meant, really, because no one's hating on Dylan (or Neil Young for that matter), just discussing the merits of his singing versus songwriting. I shouldn't be so hasty to throw the word "hate" around.

Cricket18

Gnawing my hairless tail
Registered
Reaction score
If anyone lives in S. CA and likes Dylan, pm me. My hubs performs every year at what's called The Dylan Concert. It's all Dylan tunes performed by local musicians. (Maybe 100 musicians total) It's about 8 hours long with food, booze, etc.

Tangled Up In Blue, Isis, Mighty Quinn are some of many great tunes. It's a blast and the music is fantastic.

:)

Vito

Recalled to life
Registered
Reaction score
I like almost all of the music that Dylan recorded from 1965 to 1975. He was at the top of his game during that time, in my opinion.

From 1976 through the 1980s, Bob's music is pretty much hit-or-miss. After that his vocal skills began seriously deteriorating, to the point of being totally unlistenable.

BTW...my current favorite Dylan album is "New Morning", from 1970.

bluntforcetrauma

Esquire
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
He is a fantastic songwriter--I love his stuff when it's covered by anyone else.

also the whole Springsteen thing eludes me.

I think Bob's voice is perfect for what he does, although I haven't heard but little of his work. Springsteen? I never got him at all.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
Great songs, terrible singer. In recent years his voice has become so bad it should be declared a crime against music.

No! Great singer too! :)

For me, Dylan's voice is almost always a perfect accompaniment to his music.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Exactly!

Now, I don't like everything of his. But when he's great he's very very great, imo.

My favoutires:
Mr Tambourine Man
A Hard Rain's Gonna Fall
Sad-eyed Lady of the Lowlands
Just Like a Woman

and something else on the tip of mytongue of which the name evades me because I haven'r heard it for 40 years....

Oh, those really were the days, my friend. Though I went off his later stuff. I bought his Christmas Album recently -- dreadful!
Actually, I've never really liked any kind of popular music after I hit my 20's -- with very few exeptions, such as Norah Jones.

ETA: New Morning -- just read that on another post.

stray

Registered
Reaction score
Website
jamesnewmanfiction.blogspot.com
'Thunder on the Mountain,' a recent(ish) recording is as good as anything he has ever done. He is a great lyricist and poet, a reasonable songwriter, a poor singer, and one of the most important figures in western 20th century culture. He carried on a tradition that began with the beat poets and was carried on by songwriters suck as Beck. Without a doubt an important figure.
But as an entertainer? I've seen him live a couple of times and to be honest wish I'd left it as a mystique.

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
But as an entertainer? I've seen him live a couple of times and to be honest wish I'd left it as a mystique.

I saw him last year at a small outside venue, opened by John Mellencamp. I'm not a big fan of Dylan, didn't grow up with him, but I know he's had a huge influence on American music. And it's a great concert place, so we went.

I wanted to have the experience of seeing him sing onstage. And he mumbled through everything but it seemed like seeing a bit of history. So I'm glad I went.

Mellencamp turned out to be a far better singer than I realized. He sang something solo a cappella and his voice was really fine.

Sideline: this little outside place has a nice summer series, attracting some big acts to this little sleepy town. I saw Stevie Wonder when he did a small tour a couple of years ago, Crosby Stills & Nash, and some others I can't recall cuz I haven't had enough coffee. Last week it was Norah Jones, this week ZZ Top. An eclectic mix of artists.

But Stevie Wonder! That was a terrific night of music.

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
My favoutires:
Mr Tambourine Man
A Hard Rain's Gonna Fall
Sad-eyed Lady of the Lowlands
Just Like a Woman

Oh, I like all these, and many more besides. But it doesn't mean his recent voice doesn't sound like an experimental tunnel borer hitting an unexpected gas pocket.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
Oh, I like all these, and many more besides. But it doesn't mean his recent voice doesn't sound like an experimental tunnel borer hitting an unexpected gas pocket.

I basically haven't listened to Bob Dylan since 1973, which is the year I went to India. The only recent stuff I listened to was that Christmas album; I love Christmas music so I bought it without listening to it first. O my!

BTW the song I was tryng to remember is Tomorrow is a Long Time.
So simple, and yet so beautiful and haunting. (Besides, it contains sweet nostalgic memories for me...)

Cricket18

Gnawing my hairless tail
Registered
Reaction score
I think Bob's voice is perfect for what he does, although I haven't heard but little of his work. Springsteen? I never got him at all.

Where do you live? If I were rich, I would buy you a ticket to a Springsteen concert. I too thought the same until I went to one and I'm forever converted. Have since dragged several non-believers as well, and they are too converted. (Sorry to make it sound like a religious experience, being the Atheist I am, but it is!)

Hell, if you live nearby, I'll buy you a ticket. I'd be curious to hear your thoughts after the fact. :)

ETA: Ah, Indiana. Coming to CA anytime soon? ;)

Niniva

Life is just a bowl of cherries...
Registered
Reaction score
I can honestly say with firm conviction that I cannot stand most every artist mentioned in this thread.

Please tell me Cash is an exception.

Sure, he couldn't sing, but he was haunting. His cover of Hurt, in the immortal words of Charlene Darling on the Andy Griffith show, "That one makes me cry."