New Orleans mansions and wild green parrots

Belle_91

With her nose stuck in a book
Registered
Reaction score
In my WIP one of the main characters lives in the mansions in New Orleans' garden district. He has slaves (this is in the 1830s) so I'm curious to know where they would live in the house. Would they have seperate dwellings like quarters on a plantation? Also, where would all of the meals be cooked for the main house? Would a mansion in a city have a seperate building as a kitchen like the plantations did?

Thanks.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Typically, kitchens in that period were in the basement of in-town buildings. That won't work in New Orleans due to the high water table, so it would probably have been on the ground floor at the back of the house. Possibly slightly separate from the main building, but connected by a breezeway. (Which might have had a different name at that time that I'm not coming up with.)

The cook/housekeeper would probably have slept next to the kitchen. Other slaves, like later servants, would probably have been in the attic, though a nanny might have slept near the children. And gardeners/grooms would probably have slept over the stable.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's been many years, but I toured a New Orleans home of about the right period. I blame any mistakes on my recollection on the passing years.

As I remember it, the kitchen was in the back of the house, with a single common wall, almost like it was an afterthought. There was a kitchen garden next to it where herbs and greens could be grown. There was also a sandy area where a fire could be built for a huge kettle used for laundry, dyeing, or birthin' babies. (That last part was a joke.)

Inside the house, the rooms were surprisingly small, even the 'grand' rooms. Though the house was pretty compartmentalized, none of the open space concept of modern luxury homes, the rooms were mostly interconnected with doors and never more than two deep, to take advantage of whatever breeze might be present. So you might open the parlor windows in front, the door to the back stairs or whatever, and the window of that room, allowing air to pass through.

The slaves' or servants' quarters were the top floor, little better than floored attics. We toured in summer and the heat was positively stifling despite open windows. That's how it would have been for those who lived there. What I remember seeing was almost dormitory style, a row of beds, no private space. I don't know if that was typical or not.

Maryn, hoping this helps a little bit

JHBogran

J H Bogran
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jhbogran.net
For my current WIP, I visited New Orleans last November. I was welcomed into a distant cousin's house. Heck, I hit the ground running and crashed a wedding right off the plane. :)

Anyway, yes the slaves would have a separate dwelling place. That is the reason why nowadays you see a mansion for the rich and famous and poor people living down the same street.

As for the kitchen, I think Maryn got it right already.

Belle_91

With her nose stuck in a book
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks guys.

I was doing some more research and found out that New Orleans has wild green parrots. Does anyone know when they came to New Orleans? Are they native and/or would they have been in the city in the 1830s? Sorry, I tried goggling them, but couldn't find anything.
:(

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
Thanks guys.

I was doing some more research and found out that New Orleans has wild green parrots. Does anyone know when they came to New Orleans? Are they native and/or would they have been in the city in the 1830s? Sorry, I tried goggling them, but couldn't find anything.
:(

I don't know about New Orleans, but we have them in Chicago too. They're monk parakeets, native to South America, but the theory is some pets got loose and bred. It's very startling to see flocks of bright green parrots screeching over Chicago alleys, or foraging on the ground. Their nests are giant, ratty blobs of sticks they stay inside. They are pretty intelligent and social, and remarkably cold tolerant (which I guess you could figure out, given that they're thriving in Chicago).

They are considered an agricultural pest, and I wonder if there's been some effort to get rid of them because I've seen fewer of them around lately. They were tolerated for a while because Mayor Harold Washington, who lived across from a park with some of their nests, was fond of them.

I don't mind them, pest or not, because as far as I'm concerned they replace the ecological niche left by the Carolina Parakeet which was native to North America until we killed them all off.

I suspect the birds of New Orleans have a similar origin, and they are probably pretty recent. They were first imported to the US as pets in the 1960s.

Edit: So no, not in the 1830s, although there could have been Carolina Parakeets then -- they were more colorful and nested in hollow trees rather than in stick wads.

angeliz2k

never mind the shorty
Registered
Reaction score
Commonwealth of Virginia--it's for lovers
Website
www.elizabethhuhn.com
Going back to the question about kitchens and slaves (because I don't know a blessed thing about the birds):

FWIW, I've done some research on Baltimore rowhouses, which are probably quite different from New Orleans townhouses. Kitchens were often in the basement, with an outbuilding behind the house that held the privies, stables, and some storage. Stable boys stayed above the stables. House slaves would have been up in the eaves in the attic.

But the fact that many New Orleans houses were built around courtyards would probably change things.