Does the personal touch in querying really make a noteworthy difference?

TudorRose

not napping... brainstorming!
Registered
Reaction score
Paul, check out the interviews under "success stories" on querytracker--they specifically ask if (and how) people tailored their queries.

http://querytracker.net/success.php

Just more data for you to tabulate ;)

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Just wondering though Jude, had you 'form' (previous interaction) with the three?

I had previous interaction with two of the agents, but not the one I ended up signing with. :)

jaksen

Caped Codder
Registered
Reaction score
In MA, USA, across from a 17th century cemetery
Does novel have to be complete before being sent out to an agent? I know, it's a daft question - but recently read a book which advises to send query letter to agent before completion.

I would hope the book is complete. I would never query an inc. novel.

But is it done? Sure it is. On query tracker I've seen multiple examples of it.

More specifically: a writer has sent a query to an agent. The agent responds and asks for a full. (Full ms.) Then the writer will comment (on the QT forum or elsewhere) that, "Wow, now I really have to finish that book!" Or, "I'll send it in three months." Or, "I need to rewrite parts before I send it."

And me, I'm all - omg why did you query an unfinished book?

Maybe it's just me, but I don't query until it's finished.

Perhaps some agents feel differently about this?

Paul

Banned
Reaction score
Paul, check out the interviews under "success stories" on querytracker--they specifically ask if (and how) people tailored their queries.

http://querytracker.net/success.php

Just more data for you to tabulate ;)
will do. :D thanks.

yeah. I reckon suki's last post offers the true insight into my conundrum.

ie most effective use of time.

the issue being does the benefit (a reading) outweigh the cost (time)

processing....processing...

conclusion: need more data

lauralam

Moonshade
Registered
Reaction score
I do sometimes and other times I don't. If there's a clear reason why I am approaching that agent (i.e. they represent someone who does seem really similar to me), or whatever, then maybe. But most of the time I haven't so far, and I've still had a few requests. But if I stretch to figure out how to formulate it (I really like how you interact yourself in interviews and you represent my total favourite authors and seem totally awesome!!111), then I just leave it out.

Paul

Banned
Reaction score
Read all 13* interviews from TudorRose's link. In answer to the question

Did you tailor each query to the specific agent, and if so, how?

3 gave a definite yes, 2 a qualified yes, 3 a 'well, maybe a few lines with some if possible', the rest were No.

so 5 yes or mostly yes.
3 huh?and 5 no.

ok, there's more interviews i didnt see. watch this space lol :)

eta. well the rest seem to follow the same pattern.

ETA. Paul A, isnt this time you could be researching agents???
Paul B. bugger off.

Last edited:

summerb

Registered
Reaction score
OMG, this is so timely for me! I'm having such a hard time even though I DO the research. The first query I sent out was so tailored to a particular agent, I thought for sure he was the one. (I know, I know, how easy did I think it would be?!) But I didn't personalize it, and he form rejected it. After that I think I got a little too informal in my personalizations, and maybe went the other way.

How do you strike a balance? Can anyone give an example of how exactly they started a successful personalized query?

summerb

Registered
Reaction score
Does novel have to be complete before being sent out to an agent? I know, it's a daft question - but recently read a book which advises to send query letter to agent before completion.

Yes, for sure!

Although I have been querying agents who don't require a synopsis so I can avoid writing one. If they responded to my query, sounds good, send a synopsis, I would be screwed. Does that ever happen? (the requesting a synopsis, instead of pages bit, not the me getting screwed bit ;) )

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
OMG, this is so timely for me! I'm having such a hard time even though I DO the research. The first query I sent out was so tailored to a particular agent, I thought for sure he was the one. (I know, I know, how easy did I think it would be?!) But I didn't personalize it, and he form rejected it. After that I think I got a little too informal in my personalizations, and maybe went the other way.

How do you strike a balance? Can anyone give an example of how exactly they started a successful personalized query?

Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Go into Query Letter Hell at look at the successful queries thread. Most just show the basic query, but a few are personalized. Also, Writers Digest has cached a whole slew of interviews with agents, each of which contains a successful query.

And, once you've reached your 50th post, you can post your basic query in Query Letter Hell and have folks take a look.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

AGragon

Nom Nom Fish
Registered
Reaction score
I remember I used to spend ~3 hours+ with each personalised query, and after many rejections I noticed it didn't make the slight difference.

I even remember I once quoted what this X agent said in an interview, but to no avail.

I was an agent stalker back then, watching interviews, quotes, etc. But it was useless.

summerb

Registered
Reaction score
I remember I used to spend ~3 hours+ with each personalised query, and after many rejections I noticed it didn't make the slight difference.

I even remember I once quoted what this X agent said in an interview, but to no avail.

I was an agent stalker back then, watching interviews, quotes, etc. But it was useless.

I feel like an agent stalker now! You really didn't think it made a difference? I just feel if I say something generic they will assume I am querying everyone and their brother..

Mclesh

It's too hot
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.storyrhyme.com
I'll just add, personalizing hasn't hurt for me. I've gotten full requests with personalization and without. If an agent likes your work and also feels that you'll be someone they can work with, they might be more inclined to offer representation.

As far as having the book finished: Yes. I've had a full request within, seriously, ten minutes of sending the query. My latest full request came overnight. If the ms isn't finished, you're shooting yourself in the foot.