WI bill claims single moms cause child abuse

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I keep trying to give Republicans a fair shake, but it's getting pretty impossible. Every time I turn around, there's another Republican somewhere trying to legislate aspects of living that the government really has no right getting in to.

http://shine.yahoo.com/parenting/wisconsin-bill-claims-single-moms-cause-child-abuse-011200419.html

Saying that people "make fun of old-fashioned families," Grothman -- who has never been married and has no children -- criticized social workers for not agreeing that children should only be raised by two married biological parents, and told a state Senate committee that he hopes the Child Abuse and Neglect Prevention board, of which he's a member, could "publicize something that's politically incorrect but has to be said in our society."

"Whether that leads to more people paying attention and having children after they're married or whether that leads to some others making a choice for adoptions," he said.

A third of all parents in Wisconsin are single. Given that single mothers far outnumber single fathers in the state and in the rest of the country, and given the emphasis on fathers being part of the solution rather than part of the problem, many people feel that the bill is tantamount to an attack on single moms.

I'm just gobsmacked by it all. Really.

With all the serious problems we're facing in this country--in the world--why, oh why, are so many Republicans so obsessed with focusing on these kinds of social issues? I just don't get it.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
They are focused on the stupid non-issues to keep Americans's focus off the artificially inflated gas and heating oil prices. The fact our infrastructure is falling down around us. Our public education system needs an overhaul. Oil companies are raking in billion dollar profits while receiving tax breaks, etc etc etc...

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
They are focused on the stupid non-issues to keep Americans's focus off the artificially inflated gas and heating oil prices. The fact our infrastructure is falling down around us. Our public education system needs an overhaul. Oil companies are raking in billion dollar profits while receiving tax breaks, etc etc etc...

No, see the GOP is trying to bring up the issue of "artificially inflated" gas and oil prices, but the fact that while the demand in the US is decreasing, the demand on the global level is increasing, namely in Asia and Africa.

Monkey

Is me.
Registered
Reaction score
Watching Fox News, it's pretty clear that the Republicans are emphasizing high gas prices, among other issues, because they're trying to unseat Obama, and the worse off they can make our current situation look (and of course, the more they can blame Obama for it) the better their chances are.

I don't see this as an attempt to distract us from the negatives. A quick look into this particular Republican's history--some of which is detailed in the article--will show that this is a continuation of an ongoing fight. He's been doing this sort of thing for years, and will continue, I imagine, so long as he's in office--regardless of who the president may be.

The kicker is, it's not just this one guy. All along the line, for years now, he's been backed up by his fellow Republicans. He's spouting this crap because it's perfectly in line with his party platform and he has the backing and support of his party.

As to the actual issue:

The additional wording really does make the statute read as an attack on single women raising families rather than single parents in general.
Section 3. 48.982 (2) (gm) of the statutes is amended to read:

13 48.982 (2) (gm) Provide, for use by the board in its statewide projects under sub. (5) and for use by organizations that receive grants under subs. (4) and (6), educational and public awareness materials and programming that emphasize nonmarital parenthood as a contributing factor to child abuse and neglect and the role of fathers in the primary prevention of child abuse and neglect.
(bolding of last line mine)

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
No, see the GOP is trying to bring up the issue of "artificially inflated" gas and oil prices, but the fact that while the demand in the US is decreasing, the demand on the global level is increasing, namely in Asia and Africa.

True, but one reason being given for over $4 a gallon is the trouble with Iran despite the US not getting it's oil from Iran.

Monkey

Is me.
Registered
Reaction score
It's less about where the oil is coming from, and more about oil speculation and the global commodities market and the just-plain-global nature of oil prices.

And the Republicans are still emphasizing, rather than trying to distract from, those prices--even insisting that Obama himself should be "doing more" to bring down the price of oil.

That said, this is a bit of a derail, and I'm happy to let it drop.

nevillenox

I have promises to keep.
Registered
Reaction score
Why don't they take all of that energy they're using for this and direct it at, oh I don't know, actual child abuse? Wait, that would be productive.

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I agree. They want us too busy worrying about who our neighbors are screwing and pumping to realize we're getting screwed at the pump.

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
I wonder if someone put 'something' in their food source or implanted something in them when they were sleeping?

How can so many be so out of their ever loving head about so many things?

:Shrug:

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
I keep trying to give Republicans a fair shake, but it's getting pretty impossible. Every time I turn around, there's another Republican somewhere trying to legislate aspects of living that the government really has no right getting in to.
It's called the Tea Party. I've never heard of this guy, but without even googling I'd bet a significant part of my retirement that he's a Tea Party leader, or at least a strong supporter.

The Tea Party, despite their protests, are little more these days than the modern morphing of the religious right.

clintl

Represent.
Registered
Reaction score
I think they're obsessed with "recreating" a mythical American culture that never really existed in the first place.

quicklime

all out of fucks to give
Banned
Reaction score
shit..I live in WI. Believe me, this is par for the course. we're currently racing to become the next Mississippi, ideally 1950s Mississippi.

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
I think they're obsessed with "recreating" a mythical American culture that never really existed in the first place.
Yep, pretty much. Social conservatives pretty much think that if they can get society back to that supposed golden era of a the 1950s then everything else will sort itself out.

Chrissy

Bright and Early for the Daily Race
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What a crock (says the single mom).

Yes, I'm sure those were the days, back when you could be stuck forever in an unhappy, or even an abusive, marriage. For worse or for worser.

But seriously, who's making fun of old-fashioned families? I've never heard of such a thing. Who would do that?

Ah-ha, you have a mom and a dad. Loser. :Huh:

Vince524

Are you gonna finish that bacon?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
So does this count for women who had husbands who have passed away?

Are they saying that a child is less likely to be abused in a home with a dad who habitually beats the tar out of his wife?

And how do single Dads fit in to all of this?

Still, it's good to see that they're embracing the idea of gay couples having children.

Right?

nevillenox

I have promises to keep.
Registered
Reaction score
So does this count for women who had husbands who have passed away?

Are they saying that a child is less likely to be abused in a home with a dad who habitually beats the tar out of his wife?

And how do single Dads fit in to all of this?

Still, it's good to see that they're embracing the idea of gay couples having children.

Right?

Nah, that's probably child abuse too.

But I'm unsure if that was a sarcastic or rhetorical or serious question. Sorry.

Chrissy

Bright and Early for the Daily Race
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Actually, sarcasm is a key strategic weapon in Vince's arsenal. :)

nevillenox

I have promises to keep.
Registered
Reaction score
I don't seem to have all my wits with me today...

FabricatedParadise

Can be bribed with circus peanuts
Registered
Reaction score
So, here's fun stuff... just thought I'd throw this in here. Only about half of child abuse is committed by a female caregiver, and that's ANY caregiver... grandma, cousin, babysitter, etc. Men are actually the more likely abusers in most other cases. In fact, men commit app 62% of all infanticides in the U.S.

Just sayin'

Who just finished a research paper on violent crime for her criminology course? This girl!

sulong

It's a matter of what is.
Registered
Reaction score
So, here's fun stuff... just thought I'd throw this in here. Only about half of child abuse is committed by a female caregiver, and that's ANY caregiver... grandma, cousin, babysitter, etc. Men are actually the more likely abusers in most other cases. In fact, men commit app 62% of all infanticides in the U.S.

Just sayin'

Who just finished a research paper on violent crime for her criminology course? This girl!

I guess 12% of infanticided infants are lucky that women are weaker than men?

Yorkist

Banned
Reaction score

Just sayin'

To be fair, I don't think these people are necessarily trying to say that children need men to save them from their evil wimmin mothers. I think that they're trying to say that abuse or neglect is more common in single-parent households for other reasons, and they're assuming than single-parent household = mother-led household. Essentially, I think they're trying to encourage active fatherhood because two parents have twice as many hands and twice as much time and twice as much energy (and often twice as much money), and they see that as being able to stop some child abuse and neglect.

I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt for now, though I'm not sure why. Regardless, there's another interpretation of this besides misogyny.

I still think it's totally stupid legislation.