My apology for cynical comments about Fantasy

Status
Not open for further replies.

lbender

Registered
Reaction score
Is there anyone on these forums that actually likes your normal fantasy, instead of all these weird new-fangled things?

I'm confused by the mention of 'normal' fantasy. Fantasy, by definition, is pure imagination, therefore as far from normal as you can get. It shouldn't surprise anyone that some people have good imaginations, some bad; some can put them down on paper in an interesting way and some can't. Read what you like. I'm in the camp that says there's plenty of interesting stuff out there. Find it.

Amadan

Banned
Reaction score
I recommend the Illiad, the Odyssey, the Aeneid, Beowulf, the Táin and the Mabinogi.

And of course, besides the original texts, there have been fifty bazillion modern retellings of same, by everyone from Gene Wolfe to John Gardner.

RichardGarfinkle

Nurture Phoenixes
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardgarfinkle.com
I recommend the Illiad, the Odyssey, the Aeneid, Beowulf, the Táin and the Mabinogi.

Definitely. I'd also add the Ramayana and the Mahabharata (the latter can take quite a while).

I'd also add the Vulgate Lancelot, the Quest for the Holy Grail, the Death of Arthur, Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, and the Song of Roland.

Also the Kalevala.

And the Journey to the West.

For masochists there's the Orlando Furioso and Spencer's Faerie Queen.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
Definitely. I'd also add the Ramayana and the Mahabharata (the latter can take quite a while).

I'd also add the Vulgate Lancelot, the Quest for the Holy Grail, the Death of Arthur, Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, and the Song of Roland.

Also the Kalevala.

Nooooo! Not The Faerie Queene!

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
We're not in the Good Old Days. We're all modern authors writing modern work. If all modern work/authors are bad, that means we're all bad and producing meaningless drivel. So it's hard to see that opinion as anything other than self-hatred.

I think people are entitled to hate themselves and their work if they want. But there's no need to drag everyone else into it. It isn't wrong for a person to like themselves and their writing. No one should be made to feel they're doing something wrong because they like modern books and don't beat themselves with sticks.

Maxx

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
We're not in the Good Old Days. We're all modern authors writing modern work. If all modern work/authors are bad, that means we're all bad and producing meaningless drivel. So it's hard to see that opinion as anything other than self-hatred.

I think people are entitled to hate themselves and their work if they want. But there's no need to drag everyone else into it. It isn't wrong for a person to like themselves and their writing. No one should be made to feel they're doing something wrong because they like modern books and don't beat themselves with sticks.

I kinda like hating myself. Sure its not the most zen of occupations BUT it does have a certain comforting familiarity and YES I write fantasy of a sort and YES I'm not sure how it fits into the genre at the moment. So naturally I'm a bit dubious about how I'm going to beat the Iliad and the Odyssey and Orlando Furiouso and Tolkien and Zelazny and Jack Vance -- but really -- shouldn't I be worried? If my excuse for how I see things is just "well this is now and I can't help it" aren't I already in trouble? Don't I need some standards and a hint of perspective? Isn't self-hatred a good starting point for self-criticism? If I give myself a A for everything just because I am in fact writing right now, aren't I just feeding the self-hatred in a round-about way?

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
I kinda like hating myself. Sure its not the most zen of occupations BUT it does have a certain comforting familiarity and YES I write fantasy of a sort and YES I'm not sure how it fits into the genre at the moment.

Like I said, people can hate themselves if they want. What I'm talking about is when it gets used as justification for trying to bring others down. There's no need to travel around threads telling people they're wrong wrong wrong for liking modern literature. However subtly it's worded, the vibe is still unpleasant.

If you're not doing that, it's not like I'll know if you're beating yourself with sticks. Because you're not using them to beat other people.

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
Seconding Vance and Hughart. I would also cite Patrick Rothfuss and Michael Swanwick (The Iron Dragon's Daughter.)

RichardGarfinkle

Nurture Phoenixes
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardgarfinkle.com
I kinda like hating myself. Sure its not the most zen of occupations BUT it does have a certain comforting familiarity and YES I write fantasy of a sort and YES I'm not sure how it fits into the genre at the moment. So naturally I'm a bit dubious about how I'm going to beat the Iliad and the Odyssey and Orlando Furiouso and Tolkien and Zelazny and Jack Vance -- but really -- shouldn't I be worried? If my excuse for how I see things is just "well this is now and I can't help it" aren't I already in trouble? Don't I need some standards and a hint of perspective? Isn't self-hatred a good starting point for self-criticism? If I give myself a A for everything just because I am in fact writing right now, aren't I just feeding the self-hatred in a round-about way?

If I might wax philosophical for a moment. I've felt for a long time that each person's perspective is unique and everyone has art they can make that no one else can. The best artists of all types do their own work as best they can. They learn all the techniques and skills they can and then produce what no one else can ever make.

Do your own writing. Stop worrying about beating anyone. Don't bother to hate yourself, it's inefficient. Do learn to see the flaws in your work, it's the only way to fix them. And accept that you are not the audience for your work, you are the maker of it. Make what no one else can by writing from your own inspiration and working your best, not someone else's best.

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
Amazingly enough, I get to be the first person to mention Susanna Clarke.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
You're reading the wrong stuff.

Sure, ninety percent of the fantasy out there is crud. But remember Sturgeons law: "Ninety percent of everything is crud".

There are some really fine fantasy writers around these days.

80% of your revenue comes from repeat customers; 90% of everything you produce is shit. There is a lot of shit-eating grins out there, if you want to be pessimistic.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score

Also the Kalevala.

Others to add:

Waymisshoose (though this should only be read with an audio book, as it is still mostly told through oral history, and the most complete form is told by Louis Bird.)

Mharvey

Liker Of Happy Things
Registered
Reaction score
Heya Bird. Nice to see you out of the Politics form. Here's some bread. *tosses*.

This is all I'll say on the topic: Fantasy is ridiculously easy to write. Heads and tails, balls and bones... simply a joke easy. Hell, wrote fantasy since I was 9. Completed my first fantasy novel at 16.

Writing GOOD Fantasy is ridiculously hard. Heads and tails, balls and bones... simply stupid difficult. I've not written a single Fantasy novel that's held up and I'm in awe of people who can.

Reaction score
Second star on the right and on 'til morning.
Website
atsiko.wordpress.com
Amazingly enough, I get to be the first person to mention Susanna Clarke.

Damn... I knew I forgot someone.

Random old book: The Well at the End of the World

Also, Patrick Rothfuss isn't that different from Tolkien and the generic stuff being produced these days, although he does have a lovely magic system and a few kick-ass scenes here and there.

Kehengto

Registered
Reaction score
I submit to you Ann McCaffry (not sure if I spelled her name right) and her Riders of Pern Series.

Amadan

Banned
Reaction score
Also, Patrick Rothfuss isn't that different from Tolkien and the generic stuff being produced these days, although he does have a lovely magic system and a few kick-ass scenes here and there.

Agreed. Rothfuss is trying to subvert traditional fantasy tropes, but he doesn't really succeed.

I submit to you Ann McCaffry (not sure if I spelled her name right) and her Riders of Pern Series.

Meh. First, technically it's science fiction, not fantasy, dragons notwithstanding. Second, it's very much not going against traditional tropes. (Farmboy of Destiny is instead the Kitchenmaid of Destiny.)

Ian Isaro

Registered
Reaction score
So when you say "apology" do you mean you're apologizing for cynical comments, or is this a defense of cynical comments? I'm unclear.

Dreambrewer said:
By normal, I mean that which springs to your mind when you hear "generic". The stuff that consists of around half the stuff ever written about fantasy.
I'm a little concerned by the idea that "normal" and "generic" are interchangeable. If you just mean some of the main tropes of the genre (magic, multiple races, high stakes) then I think most of us are fine with them. If you mean the same kind of magic we've all seen before, the same versions of mythological races, the same kind of plot... I'm not interested in that from any decade of writing.

Amadan said:
Agreed. Rothfuss is trying to subvert traditional fantasy tropes, but he doesn't really succeed.
As much as I enjoy his writing in general, I'm pinning my hopes on the third book being the convention-defying one. There are so many tropes present and unsubverted, I feel like the conclusion must be something different if it's going to be only three books.

Marya

In search of distractions
Registered
Reaction score
Website
africanalchemy.wordpress.com
Susannah Clarke, yes. I'm always surprised Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell hasn't had more of an impact on the fantasy tradition. And her short stories are so deft and eerie, small masterpieces.

Dreity

Registered
Reaction score
As much as I enjoy his writing in general, I'm pinning my hopes on the third book being the convention-defying one. There are so many tropes present and unsubverted, I feel like the conclusion must be something different if it's going to be only three books.

Agreed. The third book is going to determine whether or not this is one of The Great Subversions or just beautifully written more of the same. I mean, the question that's been posed since the very beginning is, "How did he fall so far?" The answer will make or break the entire series for me.

Buffysquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
Susannah Clarke, yes. I'm always surprised Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell hasn't had more of an impact on the fantasy tradition. And her short stories are so deft and eerie, small masterpieces.

Maybe to make more of an impact she should write several shorter books, not one doorstop.

I mean, I love that book, but I know lots of people who couldn't finish it. And a few who couldn't start it.

Marya

In search of distractions
Registered
Reaction score
Website
africanalchemy.wordpress.com
I agree with you, Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell takes stamina.I put it aside for two weeks, came back and bogged down in the labyrinth again. It took me three months to get through it. But magnificent fantasy all the same and I plan to reread it again next year.I also wish she would just do a novella or shortish novel but I don't think her imagination works that way.

RichardGarfinkle

Nurture Phoenixes
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardgarfinkle.com
I agree with you, Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell takes stamina.I put it aside for two weeks, came back and bogged down in the labyrinth again. It took me three months to get through it. But magnificent fantasy all the same and I plan to reread it again next year.I also wish she would just do a novella or shortish novel but I don't think her imagination works that way.

Some of us have real problems writing short stories. Maybe it's an addiction to world building.

Status
Not open for further replies.