Jobs and degrees that are in demand

Kevans

Fish from another stream
Registered
Reaction score
The education thread brought to mind the fact that a number of jobs are in demand and are going to stay in demand. The Idea probably merits a thread of its own, and is a clever way for me to avoid the editing that I should be doing right now. Grin.

I Will start with three two degrees and a job that are in demand, and that will stay in demand.

The Electrical Engineer, every town in America that has a code compliance office needs on or more electrical engineers, just to review the wiring plans for construction, both new and renovations. Electricity is here to stay, and some one needs to be designated as the authority so insurance and residents can agree on rates and standards.

The Pharmacist. My generation is not getting any younger, a student starting right now will hit the peak demand for druggists that folks my age will need over the next twenty or so years. Lots of school needed for this one......

The Prototype Machinist. The is the person who makes the first one of any thing, sets up the programs for the CNC machines, and makes the tool to make the tools to keep every thing running. Fabrication is going to get real interesting, with better computer support, and 3D printing on the edge of commercial viability.

Regards,
Kevin

mario_c

Your thoughts are not real...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mariocaiti.com
Engineering and science are, and always will be, great careers (and fun for the right mindset). I would add Civil Engineers and Environmental Scientists as thought leaders of the Green Age, which should last as long as the Information Age did and have as much of an impact on our lives (regardless of your political viewpoint).

Death Wizard

Tumhe na koci puujetha
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.deathwizardchronicles.blogspot.com
I'm a journalist who has won numerous national awards and who worked for one of the biggest papers in the country, yet I was laid off (the first time in my life I ever lost a job for any reason) and am having a heck of a time finding another job. So ........... this thread hits home, in reverse.

areteus

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, a friend of mine who was a journalist has said much the same thing (save that he chose to get out of journalism before the mass redundancies). The problem is that a lot of people are now doing many of the jobs a journalist does online for free (though not necessarily very well but still, it has an impact...)

I like to think that teaching is always going to be a necessary profession... but this does not necessarily mean that there are always jobs available, just that governments will make the existing ones work harder and under ever stricter conditions...