Equipt/Equipped?

Draíocht

Registered
Reaction score
My sister asked me if they were one and the same. I seem to have come to a blank.

Can anyone clarify, please?

Fallen

Stood at the coalface
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jacklpyke.com
I'm opting for simple synonymous alternatives (like burnt v burned etc), but when has semantics ever been simples?

Snick

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
I tend to agree with Falen on this, but that's the first time that I have ever seen "equipt", an my spellchecker flags it as a mistake.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
Looks like a British way of spelling the preterite of "equip."

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
I don't believe "equipt" is a proper word in any English dialect, at least not one with which I am familiar. I've certainly never seen it. There are a few verbs that have the "-t" alternative, like "burnt", but not many, and some, like "learnt" are generally considered archaic spellings nowadays.

caw

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
I see it in a couple dictionaries. Wordnet, The Free Dictionary and Merriam-Webster (who has it as a past-participle and not a preterite, which makes sense now as the preterite is Equipped.)

Pamvhv

Sipper of Mojitos
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bookalicio.us
I don't believe "equipt" is a proper word in any English dialect, at least not one with which I am familiar. I've certainly never seen it. There are a few verbs that have the "-t" alternative, like "burnt", but not many, and some, like "learnt" are generally considered archaic spellings nowadays.

caw

Learnt, burnt and more are used daily in the UK and Oz.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't recall ever seeing 'equipt' anywhere but in this thread.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
I think "equipt" is a typo or misspelling. I've certainly never seen it anywhere.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Equipt is not a typo; it's simply not American standard English. It is, however, the way I was taught to spell the word and I HATE the "proper" spelling with hateful hatey hatred.

Per Merriam-Webster, "Equipt" is a past participle of "Equip"'

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
Cyia, where were you taught "equipt"? I have never once seen it in a single book published and printed in the UK, Australia, or New Zealand, and I've been reading books published in those countries for upwards of 45 years. (And I would definitely remember it, thanks to my quirky memory.)

I guess this is my new fact for the day! I'm just surprised that there's such a big difference between the spelling taught in the schools where "equipt" is considered correct and the publishing industry of the same country or countries.

absitinvidia

A bit of a wallflower
Registered
Reaction score
Equipt is not a typo; it's simply not American standard English. It is, however, the way I was taught to spell the word and I HATE the "proper" spelling with hateful hatey hatred.

Per Merriam-Webster, "Equipt" is a past participle of "Equip"'

Per which Merriam-Webster? My M-W Collegiate 11th edition does not list it, nor does the online version.

Draíocht

Registered
Reaction score
I hadn't heard it before either, but my sister is still in school and it's in one of her reading books. Thanks everyone for the feedback.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Which country?

Is it a book that teaches English or American children how to read or write English, or is it not a school text book but a book she has to read for interest like, say, a novel or a translation of a novel?

I hadn't heard it before either, but my sister is still in school and it's in one of her reading books. Thanks everyone for the feedback.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
I was taught in North Texas, and have since learned that many of our books used outdated spellings, such as equipt (and equpitment). The word is in the unabridged version of M-W

Definition of EQUIPT

past participle of equip

Browse

Next Word in the Dictionary: Equisetaceae
Previous Word in the Dictionary: equiprobable
All Words Near: equipt

This word doesn't usually appear in our free dictionary, but the definition from our premium Unabridged Dictionary is offered here on a limited basis. Note that some information is displayed differently in the Unabridged.
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/equipt

(Incidentally, my poor editor's hit the point of "Just spell it how you were taught, and we'll straighten it out in copyedits" from all the "learnt, leapt, burnt, dreamt, grey, etc. I'd throw her a "draughty room", but I think she might faint ;) )

Last edited:

Fallen

Stood at the coalface
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jacklpyke.com
Last edited:

Fallen

Stood at the coalface
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jacklpyke.com
I've seen it. I'm not sure where, but I'm thinking maybe in fantasy novels, to lend an archaic air to things? But that might not be accurate.

Google Ngram confirms that it's archaic, but still in some use... http://books.google.com/ngrams/grap...tart=1500&year_end=2012&corpus=0&smoothing=50

...apparently things went to hell for 'equipt' in 1750 - wonder what caused that?

Love that link!!! And looking at it Brit Eng usage fell 1750, American Eng slightly later (1840s). Brit Eng had first usage, but it looks like American Eng has a slightly higher usage than us today(ish).

Still like to know how the alternative came about, though.

And I'm not looking at word statistics at 1am Sunday morning, cause that would be really... sad....

Last edited:

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
I was taught in North Texas, and have since learned that many of our books used outdated spellings, such as equipt (and equpitment). The word is in the unabridged version of M-W

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/equipt

(Incidentally, my poor editor's hit the point of "Just spell it how you were taught, and we'll straighten it out in copyedits" from all the "learnt, leapt, burnt, dreamt, grey, etc. I'd throw her a "draughty room", but I think she might faint ;) )

Draught to me only refers to beer that is drawn from the keg, or maybe refering to horses.