Doubts/questions about payment

Right-Her

Registered
Reaction score
Hey,
I've worked three years at a newspaper, and quit recently. I have been approached by a local businessman to pen down his biography. He suggested one hour sessions for an entire month, that would amount to, after being rounded up 15 sessions a month. How much should I charge per session? I'm new and lost. He might ask for five more sessions, if he feels these 15 were not enough. The written matter after each session will then be compiled by me later, besides the other tasks of book publishing.
Awaiting an answer.
Thanks people.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Is he also going to pay you for compiling the written matter into a readable book, or is that part of the hourly wage?

Is he going to own the copyright on the book, or will you?

What do you/he expect the final word count of the book to be?

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
As has been suggested there are many more questions to ask than how much you should charge per session.

You need to get a contract drawn up which spells everything out. Make sure the lawyer you use for this knows about publishing, and doesn't just say he does.

You'll need to agree about who owns the copyright in the finished work; what you'll get paid; what happens if the work is published; who gets to look for a publisher; if the work is going to be self-published; and a lot more besides.

This is a complex and difficult thing to sort out. Make sure everything is agreed before you do anything at all on the project, or you could get burned.

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
Don't do a single session until you have it all spelled out in a contract.

To me, this sounds like a for hire writing gig, which means after you have finished the sessions and the writing, your part is over and he is free to do with whatever he wants with the finished project.

Some of the writers I know or have read about usually set a payment system. First payment when the sessions start, and a final payment when you turn in the finished project. This way, if the client bores with the project or changes their mind, the writer has not wasted their time totally. And this kind of thing does happen...

They also allow for 1 additional editing session because the client may not be happy with the version you produce. If additional editing is required after that, there is an additional charge.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
It sounds a bit like he expects to dictate the perfect book and have you just write it down. That sounds... unrealistic. At the very least I would suggest charging 3 hours for editing per 1 interview hour.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hey,
by me later, besides the other tasks of book publishing.

Are you also supposed to be the book publisher? Or to find a publisher? If the former -- personally, I wouldn't be comfortable taking this on unless I had substantial experience with all of the aspects of book publishing, from interior layout to creating cover art to distribution. If the latter -- I don't think it's possible to guarantee publication by a commercial press for any manuscript.

Info about standard editorial/transcription rates here: http://www.the-efa.org/res/rates.php

Does anyone have info regarding standard fees for ghostwriting?

kimberlycreates

insert witty title here
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kimberlycreates.com

kimberlycreates

insert witty title here
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kimberlycreates.com
Here's the skinny so far from some of my colleagues:

1) Rates vary depending on the subject, who you're ghosting for (i.e., Joe Schmoe vs. Big Celebrity), and the time frame you're expected to work in

2) The rate quoted at Writers Union of Canada (link I posted above) is an appropriate mid-range fee for a substantial book (about 50 cents per word)