GoogleChrome help!

bearilou

DenturePunk writer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
yawping barbarically over the roofs of the world
I live very remotely and my internet connection is of the archaic and slow kind, satellite. It's better than nothing. I have an AT&T hotspot for emergencies but with the 5G download bandwidth, I can't use it vigorously every day. Hence the satellite. Slow but a little more generous with the bandwidth allowance. But...that's no my problem.

My problem is when I use GoogleChrome on the satellite connection. In simple terms, I have problems with anything that is Google connected. If by some stupid turn of fate I've closed the gmail page, when I try to open it, I get a New Tab and a blank page. It will not open. At all. It is just this blank page.

Same goes for trying to open Google Docs. I can't get to the docs menu and if I'm fortunate when I boot up my laptop first thing in the morning and the docs menu already has an open tab it will load in. But from there, I try to get to a document and I get the same thing. Blank page.

The moment I connect to my hotspot, I get everything I need to open, easy peasy lemon squeezy. It's just this connection to the satellite that nothing in Google wants to open. I thought maybe it was my connection and I was timing out before I could get to the Google servers but that's not the case because when I turn on my Acer, use the satellite connection, while it's slooooow, it has no problems opening any Google related page.

It's just on this laptop (Toshiba Qosmio).

I have searched GoogleChrome for help, I've turned in tickets, I've uninstalled and reinstalled, I've cleared my cache, my cookies, my history... sometimes it works for a little while but then it slows down to this again. I just don't know what else to do.

Yes I can use Firefox and I do. I have two email accounts I need access to and it's really not convenient to have to log out of the firefox one, log in again, check, log out, log in, check. That's tedious and I'd really like for, you know, GoogleChrome to actually work like this superslick fast demon machine browser everyone tells me it, rather than this huge wart that is (according to the little research I've done) this huge RAM memory hog and complete waste of space on my harddrive that I can't use it to get to the very things that are the products of the Great Google Machine. (ie I can use it to browse the internet but I can't use it for GOOGLEmail or GOOGLE docs or GOOGLEanything)

Anyone have any ideas? Should I just dump it? IE isn't much of an alternative considering I run into the same slow/notloading page problem that Google has. I was using Opera for a while about two years ago but it wasn't compatible with googledocs (and I had all kinds of issues in the documents) and I need to have access to it at times.

And again, it's only on this laptop. I don't have this problem on my Acer when it's tapped into the satellite.

:flag:

edit to add: I decided to give Opera another try. So far no problems. Ease of signing into gmail without stalling out. Ease of getting to my docs home page AND in opening a document.

consensus? 1) googlechrome is useless. *nodnodnod* you would think Google would have a vested interest in making sure their products that they are slowly taking over the world with would actually work for everyone with very little issue. I've had more problems with GoogleChrome than I have had with Firefox, Opera and IE combined. Their customer support is certainly nonexistent.

*shakes head sadly*

I'd still be interested in discovering why this is happening because I really did like Chrome as a browser. I like having options.

Last edited:

Deleted member 42

Some things to try:

1. Gmail is designed to refresh constantly to check for new mail. Instead of using the Web browser for Gmail, consider using Thunderbird, the free email client. Tell Thunderbird to use IMAP for your Gmail client. You can set Thunderbird to download mail locally, respond to email locally, and you don't need to log in until you're ready to send or check for new mail.

2. Google Docs Offline:

http://support.google.com/docs/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1628467

http://support.google.com/docs/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1628514

bearilou

DenturePunk writer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
yawping barbarically over the roofs of the world
Some things to try:

1. Gmail is designed to refresh constantly to check for new mail. Instead of using the Web browser for Gmail, consider using Thunderbird, the free email client. Tell Thunderbird to use IMAP for your Gmail client. You can set Thunderbird to download mail locally, respond to email locally, and you don't need to log in until you're ready to send or check for new mail.

2. Google Docs Offline:

http://support.google.com/docs/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1628467

http://support.google.com/docs/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1628514

thanks, medi. I'll give those a try.

danrupe

Think think think...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, Bearilou,

I've had similar problems before with blank screens in Chrome (not with email but other applications). When I researched it, I found it was a bug with Chrome.

I think I remember there was a work around (or more of a tip to help prevent the problem). It was a while ago, but if I remember, I'll post it here.