• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Northern Lights Literary Services / NorLights Press

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
I would be more impressed if they listed some clients or recent sales

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
I don't really see anything in particular wrong with the site, though I'm wary about her running an editing service to. I have no particular reason to be wary, it just rubs me the wrong way, that's all.

Contract doesn't read too badly.

That said, she doesn't seem to have done much yet. But all things take time, so this may be either a bad sign, or a sign that she's new....

TrixieBelden

Registered
Reaction score
I emailed her a query this morning and she has just asked to read my summary and outline.

Does the contract look average?
Should I ask about her previous clients before sending anything else?

Last edited:

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
Maybe send her the summary and the outline, but in the same message, say you want to ask a few questions, then ask about her track record. It's only fair.

TrixieBelden

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you everyone.
Im not so sure this woman can do for me what I'd like to have done.
Is it possible to change agents after you sign with one or do you have to stay for a period of time?

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
There are very wise people around here who can give you the info on that. Myself, I suspect that you can get out of an agent, but you need a solid reason, and that agent-bouncing is not necessarily going to reflect wonderfully on you. Do the deep digging research now, get the right agent the first try, and then you don't have to go with one, switch to another.

I'm curious, what are you looking for agent to do, exactly...?

TrixieBelden

Registered
Reaction score
sell my book.
but this website looks less than proffessional to me and I also worry about the editing service.
I also have a request from Steve Wasserman who seems more legit to me. I may try him out first.
Im so blind to this whole process Im just guessing and going by gut.

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
Does he have a web-site? I'd love to poke at him (Nossir, that doesn't sound creepy at all). I tried Googling, and the first result was "... what a contemptible criminal he was. Now, Steve Wasserman is no Dick Nixon, but in the name of ... answer seemed to be: for Steve Wasserman...." (er?)

I safely assume it's a different Steve Wasserman. :)

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Well, let's take a look at the evidence:

She considers herself a "published author" and here's what shows up on Amazon:

Product Details

• Hardcover: 274 pages
  • Publisher: Amer Book Pub (November 25, 2002)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN: 1589820657
Here's what P&E says about "Amer. Book Pub." I don't know whether it's American Book Publishing Group, or American Book Publishers (but it hardly matters...)

American Book Publishers: Charges fee. Not recommended. A publisher. Located in Minnesota and New York?

American Book Publishing Group (formerly Forbes Publishing) aka American-Book.com aka ABPG: Charges fee. This company has plagiarized authors in the past and abused trademarks, notably that of the real Forbes Publishing. Strongly not recommended. A book publisher featuring the following imprints: American Book Publishing*, American Book Classics*, American University Publishing*, Bedside Books*, and Millennial Mind Publishing*. (*Trademarks of American Book Publishing Group).
ABPG's contract contains a clause that penalizes their authors to the tune of $10,000 (yes, that's ten thousand US dollars) for stating or posting anything negative about ABPG. P&E urges authors not to accept the ABPG contract so long as it contains that section. Writers have a right to a fair contract.

Next, of the five public reviews of her book on Amazon, two of them are BY HER.

So, ya gotta ask yourself -- what do YOU think of her credentials as a "published author?" Would your book be sold to a similar company, if she feels confident enough to brag about HER book on the "About Me" page?

Also, I note that it doesn't say she WORKED for Prentice Hall and the others, but that "as an independent writer/editor", she did. That's much harder to prove, even if you were to check with the companies. Few editors (even if I knew someone to call) would probably know the name of an independent, and there's no way to judge whether she did a good job editing, or if it was a one-time shot.

Just my opinion, but I'd steer clear.

I'll do a little searching on Wasserman. His name rings a bell, but I can't remember why. Maybe good, maybe bad. We'll see in a few minutes! :)

Last edited:

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
What book_maven said! :) But if the guy you queried isn't in California or New York, be very careful. Someone might be trying to capitalize on his name.

Last edited:

TrixieBelden

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks so much for your help everyone. I am so greatful.
OK, Northern lights is out.
Here is the info from the email Wasserman sent:
Steve Wasserman
Managing Director
Kneerim & Williams
at Fish & Richardson P.C.
153 East 53rd Street, 52nd Floor
New York, New York 10022
(212) 641-2267 (office)
(212) 258-2291 (fax)
[email protected]

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
ruralwriter said:
Is it possible to change agents after you sign with one or do you have to stay for a period of time?

Yes, it's possible. Did you sign a contract with this agent?

In any case, it would be necessary to send a letter terminating the agency before you picked up a new agent. Exactly who is representing you, and exactly who is representing a particular title, has to be completely clear.

IdahoSam

Northern Lights Literary Services

I Googled myself today and came across this interesting thread about my literary agency. I decided to join the forum (which looks like a nice one) so I can answer some of the concerns about Northern Lights Literary Services.

Yes, we're new, but that's no secret; I make that clear on the web site. Every agency has to start somewhere, and I don't pretend to be an old timer. Many of you may not want to sign with a new agent -- and I don't blame you.

Even worse, I don't live in New York City! We left the the East Coast and moved to rural Idaho several years ago. The photo on the web site of me in the woods makes it clear that I'm not your average NYC agent. I put the photo online to show exactly what you get with Northern Lights: a woman who loves animals and the outdoors.

Is living in Idaho a huge disadvantage for an agent? Perhaps, but not as much as you'd think. I communicate daily by phone and email with publishers from New York to Australia. To my surprise, quite a few writers (yes, even published writers!) are looking for an agent who doesn't live in NYC. They're tired of the b.s. and want something different. I've also found wonderful clients on the West Coast who like to come and "do lunch" with me in our city on the lake (Lake Pend Oreille).

Because we live in the "low rent district" away from NYC, we don't need huge advances to stay in business. Agents at bigger houses must take on books they know will sell. If a book doesn't sell right away, they move on to the next one -- always looking for those six-figure advances that pay the rent. We can afford to take on the long shots, even if it's going to be a tough sell.

For most clients, I first offer the project to publishers who can afford to pay big bucks. If that doesn't work, I'm willing to reach out to smaller publishers--in spite of the fact that I won't earn much money from them. Boutique agencies like ours are popping up all over the place. We don't have the name recognition of our larger cousins, but we become strong advocates for our writers. Tenacity is one of my best qualities; I hate giving up on a book.

I'm working with several clients "in recovery" from bad experiences with a large agency. After an initial honeymoon period, their manuscripts languished and were never sent out again. One well-known agent sent a client's project to only six publishers before giving up. (She probably received negative feedback on the book and didn't have time to help the writer make it better).

Regarding my editing service: Like many agents, I began as an editor in a publishing company's office, made contacts, and then worked freelance so I wouldn't spend hours commuting every day. I earned a good living for several years, and then started a thriving Internet editing business. After several years online, one of my editing clients begged me to help sell his book. Voila! I decided to start the agency and he became my first client (May, 2005). I did not lie about my experience (as implied in this thread) and I'm happy to provide references from my agency clients. I kept the editing site online for awhile, because I was refering people who contacted me to a friend who wanted to get started in the business.

I've received many compliments on the profesionally-designed web site, so check it out for yourself before you agree with the person in this thread who doesn't like it. (www.northernlightsls.com)

Enough about me! Thanks for reading and feel free to contact us!

Tilly

Registered
Reaction score
Hi IdahoSam.:)
I have a couple of questions.
I understand you are a new agent, but do you have a background in publishing?
What expertise or training do you have in negotiating publishing contracts?
How many books have you sold, and to which publishers?

IdahoSam

Our toll free number is 1-888-558-4354. We'll be happy to chat with you and answer your questions personally. (Pacific Standard time).

justme

Well butter my biscuit!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm very suspicious of this agency. She just sent me an email stating that my ms. needed major editing. Other agents I have queried haven't said anything about editing. Is it a coincidence that she also runs an editing service?

Provrb1810meggy

Registered
Reaction score
Question: You say you are a new agency but all agencies have to start somewhere. Don't most new agents start out working at an already established agency under already established agents, in order to gain experience, gain contacts, and learn more about the job?