Did someone say MarNoWriMo?

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score
rising from the depths of a cup of coffee
Good luck, Cliff.

I hope I do well on this upcoming test. Ugh.

Also I'm debating whether to trunk or rewrite this current WIP. Part of me wants to rewrite it to see if anything at all is salvageable, which I think there is. I'll probably even have to do a third rewrite maybe, but I know that I have to do a second. I guess that wouldn't be so bad as long as I took breaks between the drafts. Plus some writers suggest submitting your work even if you think it sucks.

The other part of me wants to trunk it. I don't know if I have the skills yet to write this well. I know that your first novel(or novella) is supposed to suck, but I don't want to put out a bad book either.

*sigh*

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Good luck on the test. :)

As for submitting something you think is bad... My thought is that provided you submit in the normal way (ie. not undercutting yourself by saying things like "This sucks, so you'll probably reject it," or whatnot) and are polite in any responses to rejections, then it might not hurt to test the waters.

Of course, if it's total amateur-hour stuff that reads like it was written by a drunk toddler or at least someone who isn't taking writing seriously... In that case, it could hurt your reputation with whoever you send it to, sure. But I can be fairly certain from your posts here that this isn't the case.

Still, it's your decision. Keep in mind, though - if you ever want to be published, you're going to have to send something out sooner or later, and most people will think their first submission isn't good enough. Hell, you might doubt yourself until you get an acceptance, or at least a full request.

In other news, I have read over 100 pages of Jane Eyre today, and the book is now FINISHED. Hooray!

So tomorrow I can focus on packing and transporting stuff, without worrying about finishing this doorstop of a novel. Good thing too, because Monday we have our first lecture on this novel!

At this point, I'm hoping to simply keep up pace with what's required until the mid-semester break, and then get ahead again.

I was quite ahead, until it came down to Dracula (which took 2 weeks) and Jane Eyre (1.5 weeks)... But given that I was supposed to be able to read them in the space of a week... Yeah, I was losing my lead.

Going to relax for the rest of the evening now.

Sarah G

Let me live that fantasy.
Registered
Reaction score
It's going well:) Managed to get up to 3,456 so far and might do some more later on:) Also, i actually managed not to delete the chapter I wrote yesterday:)

VP_Benni

likes a colorful font
Registered
Reaction score
Did one section of Spanish today. I'm still one section behind, but nothing is technically due over the break so I'll be able to catch up easily. For now, I'm tired and I'm going to watch a movie. I'll try to start the next section later... And if I don't today, I've got eight more days with nothing planned...

~Amber~

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
I have readied a carload to be taken to the new house.

Included in this bounty are 2 guitars. Somehow I don't think I'm going to have any free time to play them before we move, so they go now.

The problem is, though, that I'm not sure how much room there is at the grandparents' place... Like, they move on Wednesday, we move on Thursday. So currently their garage is divided into 2 sides - their boxes and our boxes. But because it's still their place, and they move first, we can't overload our stuff into their place yet...

So it looks like there might be still plenty of stuff besides our furniture that gets moved by the movers on Thursday.

Also, my room looks boring now... Well, the corner with the door looks boring - I took down my posters. :(

FoamyRules

Hamtaro Rules
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thetigerseye.valentchamber.com
So, I got a little writing done today :) I lost my entire first draft for my Urban Fantasy, so I should start rewriting it soon. I studied for my biochem test and, well, it's not my favorite subject but I do love science!

I hope everyone else who have tests does well on them. I've been working a lot, so writing has been put on kind of a back burner.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, so I did more packing, and then I realised something.

I hadn't lodged my study allowance form on Friday! Oh noes! I was freaking out that I'd have to reapply for the allowance. If I had to do that, then they wouldn't have paid me until I was broke. Meaning, I'd lose my savings...

But I went online and managed to lodge my form on a Sunday. Miracle of miracles! So I'm still on the system, and they'll just pay me on Tuesday instead of Monday. Phew! I can live with that!

So that was my excitement for the day. *wonders when mum's going to be ready to take stuff round to the new house*

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
I don't remember a lot about calculus, but unless I'm mistaken, writing, "The integral of the differential is the equation" won't get you as far as you might think. ;)

Good luck on the test. :)

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Transported the carload to the new house.

My room seems so empty now! Oh, and as it happens, now that I've taken my guitars to the new house, I really want to play them. *sigh*

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score
rising from the depths of a cup of coffee
Well, I started on a short story last night. I got about 200 or so words in.

I don't know the next time I'll be able to work on it. Hopefully, soon though.

Still studying for this Calculus test. Feeling slightly better about it, but not much.

VP_Benni

likes a colorful font
Registered
Reaction score
I got almost two full sections of Spanish done yesterday! :yessmiley

...But then I realized the spring break dates on the schedule were set for last week and I still have about another two more sections to go to catch up. :gaah

At least I have nothing better to do all week... :Shrug:

~Amber~

Sarah G

Let me live that fantasy.
Registered
Reaction score
Good luck to everyone who has tests:) I'm still going:) got up to almost 5,000 tonight, but I'm calling it a night, got cold so I'm off to bed. {hate colds!}

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I'm happy. I went to talk to the government today about something, and because of that I'm getting a Student Scholarship payment of quite a bit. :D

So I now have money to spend on luxuries (though not spending all the money on luxuries - I've also got some sensible things to spend it on). Hooray!

Once I've moved house, I think the first thing I'll buy is a new pair of sneakers. My current ones got wet recently, and now they STINK. Ugh. Somehow I don't think stinky sneakers are a good way to attract women. :tongue

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Ugh. My fingers are sore... I had to help some guy lift a really heavy washing machine that mum was selling, onto the back of his ute. It was like a 4 foot lift and this thing weighed a tonne! My left hand was holding the bottom of it (as was his right hand) and naturally the underside is made of a very thin piece of hard metal that jabs into your fingers. Grr.

I need a holiday.

FoamyRules

Hamtaro Rules
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thetigerseye.valentchamber.com
Well, I took my biochem test today. I hope I got at least a decent grade on it.

Um, I'm still working out my gothic novel. It's going to take a minute which is why I can't really be a panster when it comes to goth fics, but sometimes it has worked out for me.

eternalised

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
majankaverstraete.com
I've finished my The Sleeping Kingdom MS.

Pheeeeeew. It's done at 75k words. No better feeling than writing down 'the end' :)

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
It's been a long time since I wrote "The End" on a novel... Ahh, memories!

Well, I had a massive day at Uni, then realised I had an assignment due Thursday. Today is Tuesday, and I'll be helping the grandparents move house on Wednesday, and me and mum move on Thursday, so I wouldn't be able to go to the campus to hand it in. As it happens, I had also forgotten it was due until today when the tutor/lecturer reminded us!

Fortunately, things have worked out well. I had already done the assignment (even though I forgot when it was due) and the teacher was kind enough to let me email it to him, due to my circumstances, which is technically against the rules.

Phew!

So... For the rest of tonight, I need to focus on packing and getting ready for the big 2 days ahead of me. But first, my AW fix. :tongue

Oh, and I have a test next Tuesday, so I'm gonna have to study for that after we move.

VP_Benni

likes a colorful font
Registered
Reaction score
Well Cliff, I think it'd be easier to make exceptions when the teacher knows you actually did the assignment. ;) If you didn't have it done at that point, it may have been different.

I'm about a week and a half ahead of where I'm supposed to be in Spanish right now... Not bad, considering I was about a month behind three days ago. ;) You don't realize how little work there actually is to do until you try to do it all at once...

~Amber~