Did someone say MarNoWriMo?

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Day 1 of the move today. Taking a quick tour round AW before the hard stuff begins...

Today will be LONG. Because the grandparents have moved their little stuff already (yesterday) it's just their furniture to take round (in a truck). But then we have to unpack most of their stuff... And then after that, their house will be empty, which is our new house, so we'll be taking all OUR little stuff round (half of it's already over there) and unpacking stuff.

So my day starts at 7.30am, and probably won't finish until 9pm or so.

I need a holiday! Quick, NaNoers, smuggle me out of the country! You have 25 minutes!

VP_Benni

likes a colorful font
Registered
Reaction score
Well, it took me almost two hours to read that... And I think it'd take me a bit longer than that to get to Australia. ;) Sorry Cliff!

~Amber~

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score
rising from the depths of a cup of coffee
[vent]

I'm really starting to wonder if I'm writing in the right genre. It seems since I've changed genres, from Romance to Urban Fantasy, everything is just getting flipped upside down for me and things are just going crazy. I don't know if it's just "one of those moments" where everything seems to go wrong, or someone is trying to tell me something. I want to write Urban Fantasy, but all of this stuff that's happening is starting to make me wonder should I be?

Part of me is also thinking this is just one of those tests to see if I can get through it, and that I should fight for it. The other part of me wants to get out while the getting is good. I don't know what to do.

[vent over]

FoamyRules

Hamtaro Rules
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thetigerseye.valentchamber.com
[vent]

I'm really starting to wonder if I'm writing in the right genre. It seems since I've changed genres, from Romance to Urban Fantasy, everything is just getting flipped upside down for me and things are just going crazy. I don't know if it's just "one of those moments" where everything seems to go wrong, or someone is trying to tell me something. I want to write Urban Fantasy, but all of this stuff that's happening is starting to make me wonder should I be?

Part of me is also thinking this is just one of those tests to see if I can get through it, and that I should fight for it. The other part of me wants to get out while the getting is good. I don't know what to do.

[vent over]
Well, you wouldn't know if you're writing in the wrong genre unless you try it. I mean, you can always write Romance and Urban Fantasy. I tried writing mainstream Romance, it didn't work out. But at least I tried right?

I think every author goes through that stage where they doubt themselves. It happens and you'll get through it like I did. You're still in the experimental stage of writing, trying to figure out your writing style and all. That's a good thing, it means you're maturing as a writer. Hope this helps :)

So, tomorrow I find out what I made on my biochem test. Hopefully I made no lower than a C. At least with a C I can pull it up.

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score
Well, you wouldn't know if you're writing in the wrong genre unless you try it. I mean, you can always write Romance and Urban Fantasy. I tried writing mainstream Romance, it didn't work out. But at least I tried right?

I think every author goes through that stage where they doubt themselves. It happens and you'll get through it like I did. You're still in the experimental stage of writing, trying to figure out your writing style and all. That's a good thing, it means you're maturing as a writer. Hope this helps :)

Well, I actually mean, and this probably sound strange, that a lot of "bad things" have been happening with me lately, like outside force-wise bad things. I mean I don't think I can really control all of these things, but you know, it just feels, like ugh. It's just kind of like "if ain't broke, don't fix it", you know? When I was writing romance, things were hard but I don't remember it getting this bad but maybe I'm over-exaggerating. Anyway, what I was trying to say was I'm encountering a lot of stuff, non-writing related, outside force-wise, I didn't encounter when I still wrote Romance, and I was just thinking--as absurd as it sounds--is it because I changed what I wrote. In hindsight, I know that must sound crazy.

I know that sounds extremely strange, but I just keep thinking is it me, you know? I just can't tell if things are just hard for me right, or someone trying to tell me something. I mean I want to "fight" to write for my genre(s) but what if this is a sign?

And I have nothing against the Romance or Urban Fantasy genres. I like them both very much, and I do enjoy writing for them. It just may be at different times, and depend upon how I'm feeling.

I just think I'm going through one of those moments in my life where things are just kind of harder, than usual, and I'm having a funny way of dealing with it. At least, that's what I hope the problem is.

Truthfully, I want to write Urban Fantasy and Romance.

I hope all of that makes sense.

I hope you did well on your test by the way.

Last edited:

FoamyRules

Hamtaro Rules
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thetigerseye.valentchamber.com
Well, I actually mean, and this probably sound strange, that a lot of "bad things" have been happening with me lately, like outside force-wise bad things. I mean I don't think I can really control all of these things, but you know, it just feels, like ugh. It's just kind of like "if ain't broke, don't fix it", you know? Anyway, what I was trying to say was I'm encountering a lot of stuff, non-writing wise, like I said outside force-wise, I didn't encounter when I still wrote Romance, and I was just like is it because I changed what I wrote.

I know that sounds extremely strange, but I just keep thinking is it me, you know?

And I have nothing against the Romance or Urban Fantasy genres. I like them both very much, and I do enjoy writing for them. It just may be at different times, and depend upon how I'm feeling.

I just think I'm going through one of those moments in my life where things are just kind of harder, than usual, and I'm having a funny way of dealing with it. At least, that's what I hope the problem is.

Truthfully, I want to Urban Fantasy, as I want to write Romance.

But right now, my life is just......

I hope you did well on your test by the way.
Ohh okay, I gotcha :)

Well, it's life. Things happen. We all go through um challenges at times and just have to make it through them. I understand how you feel, I mean it happens to everyone. But hopefully in time things will get better, you just have to keep on moving.

And thank you, I hope you did/do well on your Calculus test.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
It took the removalists 7 hours to pack a truck and unload it at the next stop. That's just ridiculous! It wasn't even a massive truck - big, but not massive.

I think they were taking their time on purpose, because they're getting paid by the hour. Grr.

As it happens, my workload today wasn't all that bad, because the movers were shifting all the furniture. I still did plenty of lifting, sorting, lifting some more, walking, etc. But it wasn't all that bad.

So now I'm home, hungry, and need to finish packing my small shit, like, completely, so that we can take this stuff round to the grandparents' vacated old house tonight and not worry about it tomorrow, when we're paying by the hour.

*faceplant*

Just another quick stop in at AW, then it's back to packing shit. Hopefully dinner soon too.

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score
Ohh okay, I gotcha :)

Well, it's life. Things happen. We all go through um challenges at times and just have to make it through them. I understand how you feel, I mean it happens to everyone. But hopefully in time things will get better, you just have to keep on moving.

And thank you, I hope you did/do well on your Calculus test.

Thanks. I appreciate that.

Sarah G

Let me live that fantasy.
Registered
Reaction score
Got some words wrote today:) Now up to about 7,000 and I might get some more wrote later:)

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Gogogo everyone! The month's almost over, and I know you can pound out just that little bit extra!

/cheerleader

Okay, so in 1.5 hours the movers will be here, and I probably won't be able to come online for a long time. Not sure if we'll have Internet access straight away in the new house... May take a few days to get it organised.

If it's any longer than a few days, I have a USB pen modem thing, so I'll just buy some credit for that so I can come online. A) I'd miss AW too much and B) I need to be able to come online for Uni stuff.

*skulls Red Bull*

Sarah G

Let me live that fantasy.
Registered
Reaction score
I wrote some more tonight:) Now up to about 8,000, nearly up to 10,000 be glad when I hit that:) I still keep wanting to go back and delete stuff though:Headbang: So far I've just been opening it and scrolling down to the last chapter, trying to ignore the others:)

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score
Well, I got a lot of writing done this month. I'm proud of that, at least. I didn't finish anything so far.

I'm truthfully trying to figure myself out as a writer. So, I'm consistently going back and forth between genres, and trying to figure how long I want what I'm writing to be.

Last edited:

cray

Superior Life form
Registered
Reaction score
Gogogo everyone! The month's almost over, and I know you can pound out just that little bit extra!

/cheerleader

Okay, so in 1.5 hours the movers will be here, and I probably won't be able to come online for a long time. Not sure if we'll have Internet access straight away in the new house... May take a few days to get it organised.

If it's any longer than a few days, I have a USB pen modem thing, so I'll just buy some credit for that so I can come online. A) I'd miss AW too much and B) I need to be able to come online for Uni stuff.

*skulls Red Bull*

best wishes with the move, cliff face.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
I'm baaaaa-aaaaack! :tongue

Okay, so it's been 2 days and change since I was last able to come online, due to the move. I was going insane with no internet! Gah!

But we are now settled into the new house. There's still a lot of unpacking to be done, but we've got a fair chunk of it done.

Currently at the grandparents' place, on a USB modem that I bought 3 years ago. I would've been online last night, but the modem was made for XP, and I'm using Win7, so we had to go back to the store to get them to solve the problem.

I've got nothing writerly done these past 2 days, but that's to be expected. Thanks to all who wished me well!

Oh, I did, however, make a wishlist for an Eldar army (Warhammer 40,000) which would cost me $1245... Eek!

But hey, it's a wishlist!

*breathes the scent of AW* It's good to be back!

VP_Benni

likes a colorful font
Registered
Reaction score
Lecture videos. Blehhh... I've had enough of those for statistics. Sooo slow and boring... >.<

Not really ready for it myself. :D But I'm anxious for it anyways. College stuff all comes rushing in in April... Financial aid letter, paying that stupid $200 deposit, looking at some of the classes that'll be available, etc... All very fun for me. :)

~Amber~

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't set out to write 50K in March, but that's totally what I did. When February ended I was just over 20K. I finished my book today at 71,675. I was doing my stats for a blog post and realized that I had accidentally done a NaNo amount. :D

aliwood

Penmonkey Contrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
truckloadofart.wordpress.com
Well done Sage.

After a bad start in March I mostly kept to my writing target and managed a bit more reading. I've got a writing buddy now and that's helping me to get down to things more. I think I'm starting to get into the swing of it now.