AW WESTERN CONTEST - Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Al Stevens

Registered
Reaction score
Can I still hang out with new cool western friends? :e2cry:
Sure. Based on the number of entrants who said our entries were our first western stories, maybe this should be called the AW Dude Ranch.

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
In good news, I'm coming along nicely on a small story (short story? we'll see when I get to the end and start trimming) that fell out of an idea that I was going to develop. So, I didn't give up!

I couldn't stop once I got started. :/

Cool! Love to read it if you put it up in SYW.

I'll make sure to read and vote, though! Someone should win those nifty prizes!

Can I still hang out with new cool western friends? :e2cry:

Absotively!

Sure. Based on the number of entrants who said our entries were our first western stories, maybe this should be called the AW Dude Ranch.

LOL I like that! My entry was my first western, too, and only the second story of any length I've ever finished. Well, since high school.

HarryHoskins

Straw-fed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Daily update on the vote totals. :)

11 votes total.

9 from entrants and 2 from non-entrants. :)

brad_b

Knight Errant
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Somewhere in my mind... it echoes in here ...
I have my choices narrowed down to 5, and those were hard to cut out of the herd. I might have my votes sent in before long, but I keep going back and looking at stories that rated high and am second-guessing at the moment.

AW Dude Ranch ?- Kinda fitting with all the new-comers to the Western genre (myself included). Though I don't have boots and spurs and leather chaps (not that I'll admit to, anyway) it's a fine group of dudes I find myself among. It'll be interesting to see where the dudes rank among the Western 'old-timers' come the end.

Since you seem to like statistics, Harry, maybe that's another category to break down. :)

HarryHoskins

Straw-fed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It'll be interesting to see where the dudes rank among the Western 'old-timers' come the end.

Since you seem to like statistics, Harry, maybe that's another category to break down. :)

Nice idea. I'll see what I can break all the results down to at the end. :)

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Let me put the kibosh on sending unsolicited PMs to AWers requesting they vote in ANY contest.

Cease and desist with that RIGHT NOW, okay? I know you guys sending the PMs mean well -- but it's still, essentially, spam. Don't do it.

This has been a public service announcement.

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
I just want to add that no one's in any trouble -- it's easy to get carried away, and I LOVE seeing this level of enthusiasm.

This particular method wasn't very well thought-out, is all.

HarryHoskins

Straw-fed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Let me put the kibosh on sending unsolicited PMs to AWers requesting they vote in ANY contest.

Cease and desist with that RIGHT NOW, okay? I know you guys sending the PMs mean well -- but it's still, essentially, spam. Don't do it.

This has been a public service announcement.

I just want to add that no one's in any trouble -- it's easy to get carried away, and I LOVE seeing this level of enthusiasm.

This particular method wasn't very well thought-out, is all.

Just wanting to quote so its not missed. :)

Thank you to everyone getting so thoroughly behind the idea of promotion but it's clear my excitement got the better of my judgment. The PM manauever is one that should stop right now.

My fault entirely for allowing it and apologies for the hassle caused.. :)

Pyekett

I need no hot / Words.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ah. I just got this and will delete the last 25.

My apologies; I was under the impression that it was some sort of tradition and wanted to help Kelly out.

Duly noted.

KatieJ

I think I'm back....
Registered
Reaction score
I apologize, too. I hope we didn't cause any harm to AW or the contest. Maybe one of the mods could post this as a sticky or general announcement to this effect so no one else sticks their foot in it.

WordCount

You don't have coffee? Go away.
Registered
Reaction score
By the way, Kelly, I love the message your sending out. It enticed me to go vote, and I already have!

(Thanks for quoting me!)

HarryHoskins

Straw-fed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, folks. :)

Hopefully everyone is aware now of what not to do and that I take full responsibility for any misjudgments regarding PM promotions -- time to move on now.

I'm halfway though reading the entries and, although I'm not voting, I got a few faves already and the standard has been really high and the styles and sub-genres of the pieces varied.

Its really opened my eyes to whats possible in the genre. :)

Everyone who entered the contest should be proud of what they've written and I want to say thank you to everyone who has come down and given western a go or just got involved.

Perhaps the greatest story is Bearilou's. She missed out on entering because the piece grew into something larger. That's the kind of thing I'm a liking to hear. Furthermore, that people have all got together and got chatting and had fun is even better.

Good work everyone. :)

Literateparakeet

Nerdy Budgie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lesliesillusions.blogspot.com
This contest has really helped me see new possibilities with the genre as well. C'mon AW lets sub these stories and take the magazine world by storm...We could bring back Western's...

WordCount

You don't have coffee? Go away.
Registered
Reaction score
A Western won a Pulitzer? Wow.

Number one, I have to read that. Number two, I'm amazed someone was able to create something that great with this genre. I'll admit it, when I first came across the thread, I was saying, "A western? Who reads those?"

I no longer think that way, and even though I'm sticking to SF/F and horror, I'll never be against giving Western a try again.

Thanks, to everyone involved in these threads.

HarryHoskins

Straw-fed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Absolutely, LP. Won't hurt to keep in mind Larry McMurtry's LONESOME DOVE won the '85 Pulitzer.

Or that Cormac Mccarthy has written westerns aplenty that are major hits both critically and commercially. Western is always there -- films and books pop up and make money and are recieved well all the time. The market may be slim, but there is always a reader/viewership for a good western. And a slim market can easily get fat if a scene gets going. :)

Ari Meermans

Registered
Reaction score
Yep. You beat me to it, Harry. I was going to mention Cormac McCarthy's SACRED VIOLENCE, in particular.

Literateparakeet

Nerdy Budgie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lesliesillusions.blogspot.com
Wow, I didn't realize that Lonesome Dove got a Pulitzer.

I am shocked to find out that Cormac MCarthy writes Westerns! I couldn't get through The Road (I don't care much for post-ap.) I will try one of his westerns some time soon though.

orion_mk3

Ne Cede Malis
Registered
Reaction score
I can't read McCarthy (his one-man war against quote marks is a big part of that) but the themes are still there and kicking for sure (NCFOM: The Movie is almost quintessentially Western).

I think people tend to get hung up on the genre's baggage or focus on a few high-profile failures (like Heaven's Gate), which is too bad. For a lot of people, the Western is the perfect place to experiment with story and form since the setting is part of their cultural DNA.

Ari Meermans

Registered
Reaction score
I've read every genre out there, and I have favorites in all of them. One thing I've noticed is that possibilities are wide open to imagination and interpretation, both of which I believe are limitless.

TypoToffee

Registered
Reaction score
I've read every genre out there, and I have favorites in all of them. One thing I've noticed is that possibilities are wide open to the imagination, which I believe is limitless.

::Removes filigree iron fencing from my brain. Lets out imagination which dances for joy. imagination skips into the street and is crushed by a passing school bus::

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I just finished reading story #30. Hopefully I'll get my vote in by tomorrow night. This genre is much more versatile than I thought it was. I figured it was all either Young Guns, Blazing Saddles, or cowboy poetry.

I tried reading Cormack McCarthy's Blood Meridian and gave up on it. I will usually give a book the first 25% of its page count to get me interested, and to me it seemed that there was too little happening and what did happen didn't seem to go anywhere. As respected as he is I imagine it all tied together eventually, but I wasn't willing to find out how long "eventually" would take.

Status
Not open for further replies.