Not open for further replies.

Scribe4264

Sockpuppet
Banned
Richard Paolinelli Sock
Reaction score
Good idea, guys. I like it.

Anthology, anyone?

I would be down for that. How would we proceed?

Down to my final seven. I have no clue how I am going to pick a final three. Considering the pasting title to tin can and last three standing after I start shooting wins idea posted earlier.

This is incredibly close and the other 32 were pretty darn solid and could have easily edged into the final seven. Again, great job everyone.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've made it to number 8 so far (I'm a slow reader; always have been). Of those 8, I have two frontrunners and one not far behind. I'll sleep on it and see which story bubbles to the top overnight and get more read tomorrow. At this rate I just might have my top three picked by the middle of September.

WordCount

You don't have coffee? Go away.
Registered
Reaction score
I would be down for that. How would we proceed?

Down to my final seven. I have no clue how I am going to pick a final three. Considering the pasting title to tin can and last three standing after I start shooting wins idea posted earlier.

This is incredibly close and the other 32 were pretty darn solid and could have easily edged into the final seven. Again, great job everyone.

I don't know anything about anthologies, just a suggestion to anyone who would.

Every story I rated, scored higher than 89 out of 100. The top scorer scored a 98, and the lowest a 89.5.

I've got an idea of who some of those stories belong to, but I'm blind to the rest.

Al Stevens

Registered
Reaction score
I finished and I voted. First and second stood way out. The only problem was the order. Which one would be first? I reread them several times. Could have flipped a coin.

Third place was more difficult to select. I had four choices. I reread them, and after a few times, one story kept pulling me back.

I wonder whether any of my choices will make it to the winner's circle. The three that I chose moved me. Actually, the first two blew me away. We'll see.

Literateparakeet

Nerdy Budgie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lesliesillusions.blogspot.com
I'm half way through. They are wonderful. Who would have guessed that I could enjoy reading Westerns so much? I like all the styles from traditional to weird, and anything inbetween. I have to admit I have a couple favorites already.

First and second stood way out. The only problem was the order. Which one would be first?

Third place was more difficult to select. I had four choices. I reread them, and after a few times, one story kept pulling me back.

Ahhhh, the suspense is killing me. I want to talk about them, ya know. I'm so curious which ones stood out for you.

Oh well, only 11 days left. I wait. NOT! I know, I know, get another project...I have the perfect thing...I'll go finish reading the stories!

WordCount

You don't have coffee? Go away.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm half way through. They are wonderful. Who would have guessed that I could enjoy reading Westerns so much? I like all the styles from traditional to weird, and anything inbetween. I have to admit I have a couple favorites already.

Ahhhh, the suspense is killing me. I want to talk about them, ya know. I'm so curious which ones stood out for you.

Oh well, only 11 days left. I wait. NOT! I know, I know, get another project...I have the perfect thing...I'll go finish reading the stories!

Keeping working, Parakeet. Our hopes and dreams at the end of this 2-week period aren't as far as we imagine.

Al Stevens

Registered
Reaction score
I tried to figure out who wrote what. Couldn't come close. No idea. I couldn't even figure out which one I wrote. Get used to it. It gets worse as you get older. Does anybody know where my house is?

Literateparakeet

Nerdy Budgie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Our hopes and dreams at the end of this 2-week period aren't as far as we imagine.

Quick enough to prevent an ulcer, but not soon enough to save my fingernails. ;)

I tried to figure out who wrote what. Couldn't come close. No idea. I couldn't even figure out which one I wrote. Get used to it. It gets worse as you get older. Does anybody know where my house is?

Me too, on all of the above. Not a clue which story belonged to whom...although, I have to say I'm grateful for that. It would have made me feel as Wordcount said earlier, like I was sending someone to death row!

About age and forgetfulness, yes, I still remember the first time I came out of a store and couldn't find my car. (That had never happened before.) Now, if I DO know where my car is when I come out of a store, I'm surprised.

Al...becareful with the politics..this is the Western forum, we've all got guns to help make our point! :)

TypoToffee

Registered
Reaction score
I don't know anything about anthologies, just a suggestion to anyone who would.

I wonder how you would even go about querying something like that?

I'm gonna jump on Google to look for a precedent - who knows, there may even be a thread here on AW. Rumor has it there's a bunch of writers knocking about these walls...

TypoToffee

Registered
Reaction score
I found this but it looks a bit dodgy.
http://www.anthologiesonline.com/index.html

This also looked interesting:
http://www.anthologymag.com/blog3/

Rumor has it anthologies are not exactly profitable... Just saying. I for one just wanna get something in print so that's not a biggie for me. But we're all special.

Everyone's consent would be needed since we are all independent

Just my two cents worth...

I'm going back into my wigwam. I am working on adapting voice recognition software for smoke signals. It's proving a little tricky...

EddyJ

One day at a time, eh?
Registered
Reaction score
Just finished voting. And the first thing I want to say is:
Harry, thank you for all of the work you have put into this.

I will be interested in the discussion after all is revealed.

Good luck to all.

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score

HarryHoskins

Straw-fed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hope everyone is having fun reading and picking their faves. :)

One thing I've found is how much I'm learning from reading other peoples work both critically and for fun (obviously I'm not voting, but I am keeping a personal list). It's also nice to hear you guys kicking around the idea of an anthology. That's and excellent side effect to the western contest -- shows you all are thinking about getting your work out there and taking ownership of your futures.

(crikey, I almost went all Cali-pyscho-babble there)

Question for Harry - Are you going to pm us back to let us know you received our votes? Puma

Yup. If you've voted and don't receive confirmation of receipt within 24hrs chase me up about it. I was a bit delayed last night as I was putting the finishing touches to the Crossword promoting the March prompt.

So far the western contest has seven votes in (all from contestants).

It's all rather exciting. :)

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
I think I have my three choices. I think. I also think I'm gonna give it a rest 'til Monday, when I'll do a final review.

Again, I want to tell everyone what amazing writers you all are. I just wish I had half your imagination and even a fraction of your storytelling ability. You blow me away.

Ari Meermans

Registered
Reaction score
I also wanna tell ya what your amazing writing did to my poor story sittin' there among all of yours is freakin' RUDE! :cry:

:D

TypoToffee

Registered
Reaction score
I also wanna tell ya what your amazing writing did to my poor story sittin' there among all of yours is freakin' RUDE! :cry:

:D

Sending my reply to that in smoke signals...

Gets out smoke signal recognition software...

Message translates... "Don't be soft! They were ALL good"

Literateparakeet

Nerdy Budgie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
EXTRA! EXTRA!

Wile Writer's Podcast seeks "Weird West" short stories for theme issue

Deadline: March 31

Read all about it : http://www.wilywriters.com/blog/?page_id=1234

Pays PRO rates

Dark Trails Anthology also seeks Weird Westerns

Deadline June 1

Pays PRO rates

Check it out: http://michaelknost.blogspot.com/2011/11/new-anthology-guidelines-dark-trails.html

C'mon you weird western folk know who you are. Check it out.

I have no affiliation to them, I just stumbled upon this by accident. Duotrope.com has a calendar with deadlines. I hadn't seen it before.

Last edited:

Literateparakeet

Nerdy Budgie
Registered
Reaction score
Website

What if you win? What will that make the rest of US? :)

I really don't know which one is yours. I couldn't put names with any of them but my own. BUT based on what I saw of your ability to write in your Opal piece, I think you will at the least by high in the rankings, if not in the top three. I know you won't believe me now, but just wait two weeks...

Ari Meermans

Registered
Reaction score
What if you win? What will that make the rest of US? :)

I really don't know which one is yours. I couldn't put names with any of them but my own. BUT based on what I saw of your ability to write in your Opal piece, I think you will at the least by high in the rankings, if not in the top three. I know you won't believe me now, but just wait two weeks...

Thank you, LP, for that wonderful compliment. But, you see, my comment was (I guess) a poorly expressed intended-to-be-humorous FURTHER compliment to all of your stories. I'm so sincerely blown away by all of them.

ETA: I keep forgetting my attempts at written humor often fall as flat as a badly made souffle.

Last edited:

Literateparakeet

Nerdy Budgie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Oh no, Ari, it's not you. I understood your humor. I was serious about the compliment, but I was also teasing you. You see it's MY humor that fell flat. Let's hope my story does better. LOL!

Status
Not open for further replies.