AW WESTERN CONTEST - Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
England is currently four hours ahead of US Eastern Daylight Savings Time for another couple weeks until they go on Daylight Savings Time.

I have a close friend in England who I Skype with regularly, so I know the time difference well :)

Koobie

Super Duper Member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tyrovogel.com
I want the discussion/crit in the passworded area to avoid any first rights issues.

If the full manuscripts are not posted in SYW but only in excerpts for the purpose of constructive criticism, then I doubt there would be any copyright issues.

Why not make separate discussion thread for each story in SYW instead?

Eg., if I want to discuss a story, I make a thread with the following subject line format:

AW Western Contest Discussion: Entry [INSERT NUMBER], Title [INSERT TITLE].

If I really want to be the first to make a thread but have less than 50 posts, in worst case scenario I post / PM someone and ask them to make one. Still better than having one poor soul create 60 threads. :)

And then everyone who wants to say something about the story can post in the thread. The story itself can be linked to from the OP of the thread.

No?

PS. Those who sent their crits in PMs could also locate them in the Sent items and post them into the threads. :tongue :tongue :tongue

PPS. I'm procrastinating again, it seems like.

Last edited:

TypoToffee

Registered
Reaction score
Just throwing this out there - because that's what I do - and given the various time zones involved - accept there are practical difficulties too - and then there is the loss of the general thread but....

what about arranging a java chat session?

KatieJ

I think I'm back....
Registered
Reaction score

But what if there is a pathetic little story out there with no comments or discussion of any kind? (I hope not, I hope not....)

I just don't want anyone to be flapping in the breeze. This is scary enough.

If that wouldn't happen, it's a good idea.

HarryHoskins

Straw-fed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Eg., if I want to discuss a story, I make a thread with the following subject line format:

And then everyone who wants to say something about the story can post in the thread. The story itself can be linked to from the OP of the thread.

I considered this as the most sensible option -- however, I discounted it because it might dwarf the current March Prompt as it's a big old (triple page) undertaking. That said, I'm glad you've brought it up so we can see what everyone thinks. :)

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If the full manuscripts are not posted in SYW but only in excerpts for the purpose of constructive criticism, then I doubt there would be any copyright issues.

No?

PS. Those who sent their crits to you in PMs can locate them in the Sent items and post them into the threads. :tongue :tongue :tongue

PPS. I'm procrastinating again, it seems like.

It's up to Harry, of course, but I think 40 threads would be too much to handle. My preference would be to have the first post announce the voting results, then a list of the stories with the authors identified and a link to that story in the original entry thread. General discussion/crits would take place in the results thread. If someone wants us to give an in-depth line-by-line they would of course be free to post it in a new SYW thread. It took long enough to READ 40 stories, imagine trying to do full crits on each.

I'd love to know what you all thought of my story (and if you think I pulled something off successfully) but I don't much need a line-by-line on mine.

escritora

Registered
Reaction score
I didn't enter, only voted, so I hope my opinion won't feel like an intrusion.

It should be up to the author of the piece whether to post his or her entire story or post an excerpt in SYW. Personally, I wouldn't take too kindly to someone posting my work for crits. That's not to say that general comments on this thread or the soon to be established results thread aren't welcome. Normally that's how it's done and that's a perfectly acceptable practice.

Koobie

Super Duper Member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tyrovogel.com
It took long enough to READ 40 stories, imagine trying to do full crits on each.

Oh no, I don't think people have to do crit on each. Just if anyone wants to discuss or comment on a particular story. For example, I would like to comment only on 6 stories out of all the entries. If it's all in one thread, it would be hard to see what other people thought about the same stories.

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
I agree; 40 threads are a bit much for SYW. My vote is "nope" to posting them separately.

I do think they need to be in SYW, though. (I'm planning to flesh mine out for submission.)

escritora, you have a very good point; my initial reaction to finding out the stories would be critted was extremely negative. Now, I don't mind.

TypoToffee

Registered
Reaction score
Starts measuring all the entrants up for coffin size... calls in the sheriff as things start to heat up in the saloon. Watches as the younger fighters shoot their pistols off into the air... even the Injuns seem anxious. Something is in the wind...

HarryHoskins

Straw-fed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's up to Harry, of course, but I think 40 threads would be too much to handle. My preference would be to have the first post announce the voting results, then a list of the stories with the authors identified and a link to that story in the original entry thread. General discussion/crits would take place in the results thread. If someone wants us to give an in-depth line-by-line they would of course be free to post it in a new SYW thread. It took long enough to READ 40 stories, imagine trying to do full crits on each.

I'd love to know what you all thought of my story (and if you think I pulled something off successfully) but I don't much need a line-by-line on mine.

It should be up to the author of the piece whether to post his or her entire story or post an excerpt in SYW. Personally, I wouldn't take too kindly to someone posting my work for crits. That's not to say that general comments on this thread or the soon to be established results thread aren't welcome. Normally that's how it's done and that's a perfectly acceptable practice.

I hear you loud and clear about the oddness of putting someone else's work up for crit, but I don't think the suggestion was to put each story up ala SYW tradition. Just to post a different thread for (sans story) comments on each work to make things less complicated.

Saying that, I'm (as I was initially) leaning toward the single discussion thread (maybe with a separate congrats thread) -- though might could be a tad confusing. :)

Koobie

Super Duper Member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tyrovogel.com

Strict. :tongue We can still say what we think about the stories which we've voted for, however, right? :)

escritora

Registered
Reaction score
Strict. :tongue We can still say what we think about the stories though, right? :)

Yes, of course. I read Harry's response and it seems I may have misread your initial post. My apologies. :)

TypoToffee

Registered
Reaction score
Gosh Harry, I hope when you catch your breath you run another one of these soon. Its really quite exciting!

TypoToffee

Registered
Reaction score
Still missing one entrant vote? Can you poke? T'would be a pity to lose on a technicality.

KatieJ

I think I'm back....
Registered
Reaction score
It seemed like the way they did it in the poetry contest worked. Maybe it was a little confusing, but not terribly so.

And if one or two of the poems didn't get much attention that was probably less embarrassing for the writer than to have a big "Now We Will Discuss This One" build-up.... then nothing. If the author wants to post it for critique in SYW afterwards, if they feel they want more critiques, then they can do that.

Koobie

Super Duper Member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tyrovogel.com
Yes, of course. I read Harry's response and it seems I may have misread your initial post. My apologies. :)

I'm sorry for being grumpy, I've been grumpy all day for some reason. Must be the spring winds. :) Thanks for checking out the contest entries, awesome so many people voted.

HarryHoskins

Straw-fed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We'll go with the single discussion and separate results/congrats results thread in SYW. :)

Semantics alert ahead!

Discussion vs Crit is the key -- they may seem similar, but I think the former is more an overview of what you liked and why you did/didn't put one entry higher than the other.

This should help writers see how there stuff is perceived, without going into the depth of a formal crit. Anyone who wants a deeper crit can post their work in Western SYW or seek a private crit or extend discussion with someone who's commented on their stuff.

Hope that all makes sense -- there ain't nothing like a Hoskins to confuse the things! :)

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Now I'm confused -

We'll go with the single discussion and separate results/congrats results thread in SYW. :)

Two threads, both in SYW? Or single one thread for discussion and congrats? Or single meaning talk about all stories in one thread rather than 40?

BTW - my vote is one thread for all stories, not 40. But I'm still in favor of one thread in SYW with the results for comments and one thread here with the results for congrats.

As far as the comments up the line about anyone else posting someone's work in SYW - they are all already there in SYW. By entering the contest entrants gave permission for the work to be posted in SYW. Where they shouldn't be posted is here in genre which is not password protected.

Second point - on the crits and comments and posting other's work. If I say story X is a nice story but needs grammatical work on verb tenses, the writer will know there's a problem. But if instead I copy a paragraph or two of that story and show (the magic word) where there are tense problems, won't the writer see and understand a lot faster? Puma

HarryHoskins

Straw-fed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Now I'm confused -

You done confused me too, Puma. Let's see if we can clarify and avoid Monty Python. :)

Two threads, both in SYW? Or single one thread for discussion and congrats? Or single meaning talk about all stories in one thread rather than 40?

BTW - my vote is one thread for all stories, not 40. But I'm still in favor of one thread in SYW with the results for comments and one thread here with the results for congrats.

We are going for two threads, both in SYW. These will be ...

Two threads, both alike in dignity -- hang on a minute! I'll come in again! :)

There will be two threads posted in Western SYW tomorrow.

#1 -- Results and congratulation of results and general backslapping and didn't he/she do well.

#2 -- Discussion of entries. Used to comment on what you liked and why you voted/didn't vote for an entry as well as discussing the western genre.

As far as the comments up the line about anyone else posting someone's work in SYW - they are all already there in SYW. By entering the contest entrants gave permission for the work to be posted in SYW. Where they shouldn't be posted is here in genre which is not password protected.

Second point - on the crits and comments and posting other's work. If I say story X is a nice story but needs grammatical work on verb tenses, the writer will know there's a problem. But if instead I copy a paragraph or two of that story and show (the magic word) where there are tense problems, won't the writer see and understand a lot faster? Puma

Agreed that the work is up and out there (in the safety of the SYW passworded forum) but I think the feeling is we should hold off of super in depth crits unless someone specifically asks for one and posts their entry in the SYW in the usual fashion.

So, in the discussion thread, the idea is to give overview and ask questions (I think examples such as you have given are ok) but not go into the whole piece unless the author requests this and posts their piece in a separate SYW thread. You should also engage with other peoples ideas about peoples entries so as to give more than one perspective on any particular piece.

For example -- give your overview of the piece -- what you liked/what you felt stopped the piece from achieving a better ranking -- but, when giving examples or quoting, boil this down to a sentence or paragraph. If the author wants to engage in further and deeper critique then they can post their piece in full as normal. Feel free to say why you think another person missed out on a work they discounted.

Like I said before -- the key is discussion. It's lighter and more brief than a crit, but it aims to inform the authors in the same way. It's a friendly signpost rather than a hammer on the head. :)

Scribe4264

Sockpuppet
Banned
Richard Paolinelli Sock
Reaction score
Just about 35 minutes until the polls close here Peter and at this point this race is just too close to call.

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Good luck, everyone. Tomorrow we'll know how we all did. It was a good contest and some very interesting stories. Thank you, Harry. Puma

Scribe4264

Sockpuppet
Banned
Richard Paolinelli Sock
Reaction score
Good luck, everyone. Tomorrow we'll know how we all did. It was a good contest and some very interesting stories. Thank you, Harry. Puma

I second that, Puma.

Status
Not open for further replies.