AW WESTERN CONTEST - Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pyekett

I need no hot / Words.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's Helen Thomas of the White House Press Corps.

Pyekett

I need no hot / Words.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It might well be Baba Yaga.

Nah, it's Ms. Thomas. Link is to The Guardian's article on her most hair-raising comment.

HarryHoskins

Straw-fed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Daily Vote Tally :)

44 Votes

31 entrants

13 Non-entrants.

I'm a thinking we'll definitely go for the discussion of the entries in the Western SYW section -- so please, when 00:00, March 16th arrives, hold them discussion of entry horses until we have a thread up in SYW. Might take a few hours due to time zones -- but it'll be there. :)

Pyekett

I need no hot / Words.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, KatieJ.

Yep, it's in red on the formal list of rules, quoted here in the first post of this thread.

'Twould be a shame.

KatieJ

I think I'm back....
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, KatieJ.

Yep, it's in red on the formal list of rules, quoted here in the first post of this thread.

'Twould be a shame.

Y'know, I've always thought my reading comprehension was quite good, but that is the second rule I missed. Can't even remember what the other one was.... and, no, Mr. Hoskins, don't even think about taking the blame for that. :)

moth

my own two hands
Registered
Reaction score
Just finished reading all the entries! (And this whole thread.) I'll vote tomorrow or Monday. I have a clear frontrunner favorite, but my second and third will be (say it with me) SO HARD to narrow down. The quality of these floored me.

A special thank-you to you, Harry. All my life my parents and brother have tried to get me to like westerns - written, filmed, anything. I gave them a sincere try, several times, when I was younger but decided nope, no way, I don't like westerns and I never will, never never not ever.

But, like others here, I want to give back to AW, which has helped me immeasurably in uncountable ways, so I started reading these entries with an open, yet still slightly doubtful, mind. And, like others here -- blown away. Not only did I enjoy reading through them, I also feel like I have an inkling of what I've missed out on all these years. (And did I mention the quality? ;) )

So thanks for starting and running this, Harry. Now I've got a whole 'nother TBR stack...more possibly-writeable ideas in my head...hmm, all that takes so much time...and effort....why am I thanking you, again? :)

Seriously, you've helped make me a new western fan. All the entrants have the rest of the blame for that. :D

Scribe4264

Sockpuppet
Banned
Richard Paolinelli Sock
Reaction score
Seriously, you've helped make me a new western fan. All the entrants have the rest of the blame for that. :D

Moth,

As a long-time fan of Louis L'Amour allow me to suggest some westerns to enjoy:

Reilly's Luck
Sackett
Son of a Wanted Man
Tucker

and even though it is set in the middle ages:

The Walking Drum.

moth

my own two hands
Registered
Reaction score
Moth,

As a long-time fan of Louis L'Amour allow me to suggest some westerns to enjoy:
Rats -- my naïveté is going to show -- I don't know who that is. :eek:

Looking forward to reading him though. I'm assuming those titles you listed are novels? I wrote them all down and this week I'll see if they've got them at the library (I'm sure they will). Are they a series, or stand-alones? (I hate spoilers so I always read series in order.) I get the feeling they're stand-alones but I thought I'd ask anyway.

Thank you for the recs!

brad_b

Knight Errant
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Somewhere in my mind... it echoes in here ...
I started reading Louis L'Amour after high school and found out the man could spin a story. Earlier I read Zane Grey and still have some of his books (they're probably collectible by now) tucked away in boxes somewhere. I love history and find that stories of the Old West and the settling of the frontiers fascinating.

As is shown in this contest, when imagination is allowed to flourish so many different aspects arise from a single theme - Western. The discussion after voting is over should prove very interesting.

ETA - I have 'The Walking Drum' on one of my book shelves - I might have to revisit that one since it's been awhile since I read it.

Scribe4264

Sockpuppet
Banned
Richard Paolinelli Sock
Reaction score
Rats -- my naïveté is going to show -- I don't know who that is. :eek:

Looking forward to reading him though. I'm assuming those titles you listed are novels? I wrote them all down and this week I'll see if they've got them at the library (I'm sure they will). Are they a series, or stand-alones? (I hate spoilers so I always read series in order.) I get the feeling they're stand-alones but I thought I'd ask anyway.

Thank you for the recs!

All standalones, although Sackett is just one of many books about the Sackett family L'Amour wrote. If you want to read about the Sackett family in chronological order you need to start with Sackett's Land - the first Sackett who came to the US from England in the 1600s. Then To The Far Blue Mountains, Jubal Sackett, The Warriors Path and Ride The River then Sackett. There's a few more but those will get you started.

HarryHoskins

Straw-fed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

That's the best thing I've heard all day -- and I've just listened to a Dylan album. :)

Up to date vote tally

48 Votes

33 entrants

15 Non-entrants.

Into the final furlong (a furlong, according to the bad Hoskins math, being approximately 3 and a third days) :)

Paul

Banned
Reaction score
What's that?

An AW Anthology of Western Short Stories?

(After the crits of course)

My oh my. Do you really thing it could work?

Dare we?

Really?

:D

moth

my own two hands
Registered
Reaction score
Just voted! :D

Really looking forward to the discussion afterwards.

TypoToffee

Registered
Reaction score
Asks Harry to postpone results for an extra week

---runs quickly, hiding in the forums, a mad posse of western writers outrunning the wind behind her---

Status
Not open for further replies.