Status
Not open for further replies.

teacher

Still weary, still wandering
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alexthomasmahon.wordpress.com
I also hope I get a vote, but I've enjoyed participating. I've entered a few competitions where I felt the winner wasn't any better than mine. But here, I can definitely say practically all the stories were better than mine. Some quality writers out there.

Pyekett

I need no hot / Words.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This will be one good discussion. Can't wait to see who did what.

Well done, folks.

Pyekett

I need no hot / Words.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't write one either. Well, not for this contest.

I am keen to find out why people chose the topics and themes they did, why they made certain word and plot choices, and what they accomplished that felt right. I hope it's okay to ask a lot of questions.

TypoToffee

Registered
Reaction score
I didn't write one either.

I did really - I was trying to be my usual, silly, flippity self... I just ate bacon, so I can't do serious.

I agree tho... it will be fun seeing people in the writer's chair - figuring out their inspiration...

...and hang out with y'all some more

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
I am keen to find out why people chose the topics and themes they did, why they made certain word and plot choices, and what they accomplished that felt right. I hope it's okay to ask a lot of questions.

Yep, it's okay. I was initially taken aback to find out our stories would be critiqued and discussed. I'm verra cool with it now. Looking forward to it, in fact.

Pyekett

I need no hot / Words.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I could be wrong--I'm wrong a lot--but I expect the discussion will be an interested, friendly one. No hot seats in the OK Corral, just sitting at the saloon holding forth over a pint.

TypoToffee

Registered
Reaction score
I could be wrong--I'm wrong a lot--but I expect the discussion will be an interested, friendly one. No hot seats in the OK Corral, just sitting at the saloon holding forth over a pint.

I'm in BIG trouble otherwise...

PorterStarrByrd

nutruring tomorrows criminals today
Registered
Reaction score
Didn't write Western before this
Didn't do short stories
Didn't know about the post contest activity

Tasted two of three and looking forward to the third

Thanks for all of the effort in getting this thing done ...

.. votes or no votes, it's pretty educational and will carry over to whatever I write. Actually looking forward to the critque and QA phase without knowing how that will be set up.

Ari Meermans

Registered
Reaction score

That's the conclusion I came to. Even more than the votes, I'm now hoping my entry is worth at least a question or two.

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
As in all things on AW, the thing to remember when the discussion does begin is "Respect your fellow writer."

Also, remember, some posters have not been around here very long and may not be familiar with what critique comments may mean and how difficult it can be to receive a harsh critique. A simple comment like "needs work" isn't necessarily going to be viewed the same by everyone.

My suggestion would be to take it slow and be moderate in your comments. 40 people felt good enough about what they wrote to put it out there for all of us to see. For some it was a first western, for some a first short story ... hopefully there will be seconds and thirds and ... Puma

Ari Meermans

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I don't foresee overly harsh or unhelpful critiques. The support, interest, and energy in this thread alone should squelch any concerns about that. Did mine.

Being a natural born worrywart, my main concern at this point is that those of our fellow entrants who haven't voted yet might forget, making their entries ineligible and invalidating the votes they received. See? I can always find something to worry about. LOL

FrankiiGii

Registered
Reaction score
I too am looking forward to critiques and questions. I really hope I get some! I really want feedback on everything I share, but it's heard to get friends and family to be blunt sometimes.

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
I think Harry said that at some point he was going to contact entrants who hadn't voted yet. Puma

escritora

Registered
Reaction score
It took a while to read the entries. I voted today. Good luck to everyone who entered.

PorterStarrByrd

Registered
Reaction score
With my thick skin I'd like the best feedback I can get ... it's the only way to get a true picture of how what I write is received. Worst case, I learn what I need to do to get better. Best case I learn what I might have accidently done right.

... worried about sounding harsh here ??

PM me.

Al Stevens

Registered
Reaction score
With nothing to talk about for several more days, we can talk about what we're going to talk about in several more days. :) Marshall McLuhan was right.

Pyekett

I need no hot / Words.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There are a few writers I want to ask the following:

See here, that part? I loved that. Did you plan it, or did it just happen? How did it come about--was it in the editing, plotting, or just extemporaneous flow?

That sort of thing. My brain is dying to know.

orion_mk3

Ne Cede Malis
Registered
Reaction score
If anything I'm worried that my critiques are both too harsh and too long (3 pages in Word!). I might have to post in installments to keep authors from getting buried in the Great Message Board Text Avalanche of '12.

Incidentally, I also critiqued my own story in the harshest terms that only self-criticism can allow and will post those comments here!

EddyJ

One day at a time, eh?
Registered
Reaction score
PorterStarrByrd, you've changed your avatar. I keep trying to read what you write, but this photo is disconcerting! Who is it:
Helen Thomas? Madeleine Albright? J. Edgar in drag? (Please don't say your mommy!).

PorterStarrByrd

Registered
Reaction score
PorterStarrByrd, you've changed your avatar. I keep trying to read what you write, but this photo is disconcerting! Who is it:

OK ... don't actually know, but I sure found the picture appealing

(googled images "angry woman")

Status
Not open for further replies.