Public Enemy # 1: Archie.

Vince524

Are you gonna finish that bacon?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
Here we go again.

A few weeks ago, One Million Moms -- a division of the American Family Association, which was named a hate group by the Southern Poverty Law Center -- was in the news protesting the fact that JC Penney had signed talk show host Ellen DeGeneres as their spokesperson, as she is gay and thus "not a true representation of the type of families that shop at their store." They were unable to bend the department store chain to their will, but this week, they're at it again with a new target: Archie Comics.

They're particularly offended by the fact that Life With Archie #16, a comic that shows the same-sex marriage of Archie's friend Kevin Keller, is being sold in Toys 'R' Us. The problem, according to One Million Moms, is that children shouldn't be allowed to see this comic because it has issues "that are too complicated for them to understand."

How complicated is it?

Or is it just something they want to pretend doesn't exist?

Is this that offensive?http://www.blogcdn.com/www.comicsalliance.com/media/2012/02/kevin01.jpg

Surprised they didn't complain about this.
archie_627_OCT110805_m.jpg

Yes, I just had to include that last one!!

Death Wizard

Tumhe na koci puujetha
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.deathwizardchronicles.blogspot.com

Monkey

Is me.
Registered
Reaction score
I don't see how it's any more complicated than any other marriage.

I also don't see how a marriage is "complicated" and "offensive" but the violence inherent in so many modern comics is fine and dandy.

For that matter, last I saw of Archie comics, they weren't exactly aimed at young children. There was a lot of innuendo and sexual tension between Archie, Bettie, and Veronica that could be hard for younger audiences to grasp--or to find either humorous or particularly intriguing.

Cella

Cella
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
...but the busty girls in tight shorts & shirts featured in Archie comics are OK for kids, I guess...?

So what if they get Archie to not feature a gay couple anymore? They win? Suddenly gay is gone? I mean, does anyone even read Archie--are there kids just clamoring to get their hands on these things?

These kind of focused attacks irritate me because they won't "solve" anything. Even if a family's religious/social leanings are against the recognition of same-sex relationships and their children as a family, attacking the media over it is not going to further their cause.

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I just want a Jughead hat.

missesdash

You can't sit with us!
Registered
Reaction score
Man, it's an interracial gay marriage, too. I would love to sit in on these meeting and listen to the outrage.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
in the moms' defense, the stores are squeezing out room for more toy guns and big-tittied barbies.

Monkey

Is me.
Registered
Reaction score
Man, it's an interracial gay marriage, too. I would love to sit in on these meeting and listen to the outrage.

Yeah, and one of those dudes looks like a soldier.

I bet the folks over at Archie comics are enjoying all this publicity and hooblah. :)

Mclesh

It's too hot
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.storyrhyme.com
I've learned so many things reading this thread.

1. They still make Archie's comics. (Really?)
2. The Archies somehow met Kiss. (How bizarre is that? But in a GOOD way, Vince.)
3. Toys 'R' Us sells Archies comics. (In all of the times I've shopped there, I did not know this.)
4. One Million Moms have way too much time on their hands.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
It would be a better story if the Archie comics were actually funny. Even when I was 10, I couldn't figure out why anybody would read the damn things, and I sure can't figure out why they've stayed around for another half-century since. I see them at the grocery check-out in every supermarket, and they are lame lame lame with three capital L's.

caw

missesdash

You can't sit with us!
Registered
Reaction score
I just spent about 45 minutes scrolling the One Million Moms website. I love their detailed descriptions of what is currently offending them. I can just hear the shrill voices and see the clutched pearls. One is about Ben and Jerry's Schweddy Balls ice cream.

How, exactly, is it harmful for children to...know that balls get sweaty? I don't even know the angle with this one.

missesdash

You can't sit with us!
Registered
Reaction score
One Million Moms probably consists of three old cranky white guys with too much time on their hands. They should find more useful things to do with their hands. I can suggest . . .

caw

I wish. They post whenever they're successful in a campaign. They've had TV shows canceled and ads pulled from the air. They have an ongoing campaign against anyone who airs ads during "Modern Family" and have convinces way too many advertisers to step down.

Magdalen

Petulantly Penitent
Registered
Reaction score
I wish. They post whenever they're successful in a campaign. They've had TV shows canceled and ads pulled from the air. They have an ongoing campaign against anyone who airs ads during "Modern Family" and have convinces way too many advertisers to step down.

So what you are really saying is that a million moms can be wrong. I agree!

Mclesh

It's too hot
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.storyrhyme.com

Modern Family is one of my favorite shows. Sometimes my son watches it with us, and he sees a gay couple portrayed in a very funny but sweet way. I think it's great. (Eric Stonestreet is a comic genius.)

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
Boy, has Archie changed since I was a kid! Back then, all I read was Archie having to choose between Betty and Veronica and which one kissed better. (Hey, I was six--what did I know?:))

This kind of BS really makes me rage at the stupidity of some groups of "concerned" people. I'm not a big fan of Ellen, not because she's gay--I could really care less what sexual orientation a person is--but because I never found her to be all that funny. But the reaction by these concerned mom's is way over the top and I find it rather ironic they won't say anything about the violence found in DC and Marvel but will scream bloody murder about a 'comic' gay--OMG, interracial gay--marriage. Gimme a break.

They really should go out and picket something more worthwhile, whatever that is....

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You've got to think that One Million Moms has the unspoken subtitle "...and 2.4 Million Mortified Kids".

horrorshowjack

Professional Heretic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jackcnemo.com
I've learned so many things reading this thread.

1. They still make Archie's comics. (Really?)
2. The Archies somehow met Kiss. (How bizarre is that? But in a GOOD way, Vince.)
3. Toys 'R' Us sells Archies comics. (In all of the times I've shopped there, I did not know this.)
4. One Million Moms have way too much time on their hands.

1. Yes. They apparently sell well enough to have spawned a few new comics. One of which revolves around a gay classmate.
2. Less bizarre than them meeting The Punisher. Yes, that one.
3. News to me too, but I don't shop there often.
4. All moral guardians have to much time on their hands.

AncientEagle

Old kid, no need to be gentle.
Registered
Reaction score
There was a lot of innuendo and sexual tension between Archie, Bettie, and Veronica that could be hard for younger audiences to grasp--or to find either humorous or particularly intriguing.

I've known these folks for a long time. Listen, the things I could tell you about Vernonica...well, you just wouldn't believe it. You'd find it downright...comical.

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
I just spent about 45 minutes scrolling the One Million Moms website. I love their detailed descriptions of what is currently offending them. I can just hear the shrill voices and see the clutched pearls. One is about Ben and Jerry's Schweddy Balls ice cream.

How, exactly, is it harmful for children to...know that balls get sweaty? I don't even know the angle with this one.
I wonder what they think of the ice cream flavor, "What the fudge?" :p

But yes, it's not complicated at all. Some people are attracted to their own sex rather than the opposite sex. See, I explained it in a single sentence. I'm sure kids can fully understand it.

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
I wish. They post whenever they're successful in a campaign. They've had TV shows canceled and ads pulled from the air.

You mean they take credit for every time a TV show they don't like gets cancelled. Their facebook page only had 40,000. Like Ellen said, "they're rounding up to the nearest million, and I get that."

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I wonder what they think of the ice cream flavor, "What the fudge?" :p

But yes, it's not complicated at all. Some people are attracted to their own sex rather than the opposite sex. See, I explained it in a single sentence. I'm sure kids can fully understand it.
Sort of like when Chaz Bono was on Dancing with the Stars recently. People were up in arms and screaming about WHAT AM I GOING TO TELL MY CHILDREN?! Simple: just tell them his parents were popular singers during the 1970's. There. You've just told them the truth without having to go into the details about gender reassignment surgery. Of course, these talks can be tailored according to the child's age so the older they are and more able to comprehend these things, the more detail you can provide.

Of course, I don't have kids so what the hell do I know about talking to them about These Things?