importance of publishing credentials

quicklime

all out of fucks to give
Banned
Reaction score
Not really. Not unless it's directly related to your book.

this...it isn't.

lots of authors have no university education and do well. Lots of folks with degrees are still barely literate or unable to write anything that isn't purple to the point of ridiculous.

Writing matters. VERY special qualifications matter. Anything less looks like a desperate attempt to validate yourself.

quicklime

all out of fucks to give
Banned
Reaction score
So in a query letter I should not even mention what I do for a living?

a query is to pitch your book, not your lifestyle. So unless what you do for a living makes you one of a handful of people in the entire world who sould write your book, no.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
I think I will still just mention the fact that I have a university education in my query letters. I think that is valid information.

I do mention as much, but I've been to undergrad specifically for Creative Writing.

A university level education in no way makes you more appealing as a writer. It might improve your grammar, or give you a bit of insight into character development, but it really can't make you stand out from the slush -- academic writing isn't designed for that; it's designed to make sure you follow "the rules". THOUSANDS take undergrad courses in Creative Writing, and still aren't publishable at the commercial level.

If you're writing a book set in Egypt about the discovery of secret, ancient artifacts, and happen to also be a working archaeologist or anthropologist, then yes.

If you're writing a book about autistic children and happen to be a teacher or child psychologist who specializes in the education or treatment of children on the spectrum, then yes.

If you're writing a book about a boy who discovers he's heir to the faery throne, and you happen to be a truck driver who knows the route from Milwaukee to Tuscon and back - blindfolded - then no.

Martin Persson

Registered
Reaction score
I suppose it does not matter. If the agent wants to snoop about me all he needs to do is google my e-mail address and he will find my CV.

lauralam

Moonshade
Registered
Reaction score
I put a link to my website below my contact details. I'm sure any agents who requested the full MS clicked on it and checked me out. I had one agent say he was impressed with my website.

If they're interested, they'll check it out to learn a bit more about you. But you gotta hook 'em in the query, first.

AGragon

Nom Nom Fish
Registered
Reaction score
This thread came in handy :)

How I love you AW.

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
I put a link to my website below my contact details. I'm sure any agents who requested the full MS clicked on it and checked me out. I had one agent say he was impressed with my website.

If they're interested, they'll check it out to learn a bit more about you. But you gotta hook 'em in the query, first.

This.

If you get the QueryTracker newsletter (or read the blog) they had a recent post about how most query letters that are successful now include blog or website address in the contact portion of the query. I do not know if it helped in my case, but my blog addy was a part of my query.

Garriga

Registered
Reaction score
Mostly I want to make sure it won't hurt me somehow. I'd hate to have an agent or a reader even write me off because I've published a romance novel.

I am sorry, please don't take this the wrong way.

I am a new writer, and if the publishing industry is that snobby, I want no part in it.

To me writing is more than a publication. It is my passion and my identity. The last thing I want is a pertinacious agent or publisher to throw my story in the garbage because I wrote a love story years ago.

Keep trying. If you are motivated you will publish your story :)

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
I suppose it does not matter. If the agent wants to snoop about me all he needs to do is google my e-mail address and he will find my CV.

Legitimate literary agents almost never do this, and I'm being optimistic in saying "almost". They're too damn busy dealing with their client list, and secondarily, with queries and submissions made in the normal (polite and proper) manner.

Really, you need to get a grasp on how this "process" really works, and stop fantasizing that you can somehow circumvent or change it.

caw

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I think I will still just mention the fact that I have a university education in my query letters. I think that is valid information.

Unless you have a writing-related MA or PhD, or one which is pertinent to the subject you're writing about, don't. It carries no value and will take up precious room in your query which you could more valuably use pitching your book.

Mostly I want to make sure it won't hurt me somehow. I'd hate to have an agent or a reader even write me off because I've published a romance novel.

I am sorry, please don't take this the wrong way.

I am a new writer, and if the publishing industry is that snobby, I want no part in it.

To me writing is more than a publication. It is my passion and my identity. The last thing I want is a pertinacious agent or publisher to throw my story in the garbage because I wrote a love story years ago.

Keep trying. If you are motivated you will publish your story :)

The publishing business isn't "that snobby". The person who wrote that comment was mistaken.

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com

As others have said upstream, unless what you do for a living is directly relevant to your book, don't mention it. Not only does it waste precious words, it also is a sign of being an amateur.

I mention what I do for a living (technical writer) because, while being a tech writer doesn't guarantee I can tell a story, it does mean that I am a professional writer who is used to dealing with things like being edited, working with deadlines, and other things along those lines relevant to the publishing process.

If you are, say, a lean agile software project manager or a hospital administrator, and your book is an epic fantasy or a steamy romance, your job has nothing to do with either your book or publishing in general and doesn't need to be mentioned in your query.

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com

I just revamped my resume so I could apply for medical laboratory technologist positions. The resume doesn't mention that I write fantasies.

Likewise, a query letter isn't going to mention that I'm a medical laboratory technologist.