Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score

Brigid Barry

Under Consideration and Revising
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You say 7/10 debut novels you've read had prologues, then say it's getting wiped out? Do you think your statistics really back up that assertion? :)

Hey! Don't go bringing facts into this.

Elaine Isaak

Fantasy Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ElaineIsaak.com
I have heard from a number of editors and agents that they don't like prologues. Often, the prologue is a crutch to prop up a novel that's beginning in the wrong place (or, sometimes, a novel that is about the wrong people). The prologue often features an event much more interesting which is dragged there from the past or from the future to start things off with a bang. Many beginning writers do this because they feel they need to set things up at the start of a book: to show the characters doing ordinary things, to give a tour of their world or a history of something that will be needed later. So there are a few chapters of not-that-interesting stuff. But the author knows he or she needs a stronger opening, hence the prologue, because it is easier to write a new and exciting scene than it is to sacrifice thousands of words that are not serving the purpose of the book.

That said, a brief prologue which provides useful and tantalizing information the reader will later feel pleased to have can enhance the work. My editor actually had me add a prologue to my second novel because she felt the reader might struggle with sympathizing with the protagonist. The prologue established the truth about some of his early relationships and showed a moment that strongly shaped who he is in the book. I think the prologue worked in this case because all of the stuff that happened and the characters involved are very important to the narrative that occurs, and this scene allowed me to introduce my character from a very different view.

TrixieLox

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This has been really useful, thanks guys.

Even Buffysquirrel who dared to question my intensive research*

*Only kidding, hawkish eyes totally suit squirrels. I’ve seen a few big squirrels around my neck of the woods with feverishly hawkish eyes, especially when I’ve been chomping on my brazil buts (no comments please)

Button

Resident in Question
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.calissaleigh.com
I think the prologue in Sabriel killed my desire ever to read another prologue. Hey, characters. Hey, interesting stuff. Hey, possible storylines.

Hey, huge 17-year jump :(.

You didn't see it coming? I was expecting it in Sabriel. I rather liked it. :)

Anyway, I have some books with prologues and some without. It all depends. For mystery, the prologue will show the murder taking place and then the first chapter is the main character either tripping over the body or is already on the case and has a major stumbling block.

For fantasy, it may be a two page battle scene that does some slight world building in order to understand where the main character is coming from. It could be integrated as back story and threaded through the book, but I'm happier with it just being a couple of pages, full of action and awesome. I'd be willing to call it Chapter One.

For other books, I don't need them. There's just nothing interesting to say until the character bumps his head on something and the story starts.

And... yeah, opinion. I do read prologues if they are there. I imagine there's some information or world building happening so I don't mind giving it the read. I'm obsessive compulsive about reading things in order anyway.

Buffysquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
You didn't see it coming? I was expecting it in Sabriel. I rather liked it. :)

Afraid not. Much more of a science fiction lover, really. My sister sent me the book for my birthday. She's a big fan of YA Fantasy.

elindsen

Zombie lovin'
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.augustkert.blogspot.com
I don't really see the hatred either. I have read books that chapter 1 is info dump. Maybe a prologue could have saved those for me.

The only thing I get unsure with when it comes to prologues is when it's set at the end of the novel. It makes me think the beginning half is boring.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Which is worse: the irrational hatred of prologues or the irrational hatred of threads about prologues? Discuss. 25 words or less. Use this form: [.] Show your work.

willietheshakes

Gentleman. Scholar. Bastard.
Registered
Reaction score
Which is worse: the irrational hatred of prologues or the irrational hatred of threads about prologues? Discuss. 25 words or less. Use this form: [.] Show your work.

There's NOTHING irrational about the hatred of threads about prologues.

(10 words)

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
I hate chapters. Unnecessary and superfluous flipping of pages is what they are.

Debio

Back from the land of the dead.
Registered
Reaction score
Covers, too. Unless there is a hot babe on the front, then I'll look.

Buffysquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
I think the mods could just roll up all the prologue threads together and sticky them. But I don't agree it's irrational to avoid something you've learnt to dislike.

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
If we stuck every topic that comes up over and over and incited anger among the population, new threads would start three-quarters of the way down the page.

However, if someone wants to volunteer to update links the THE ANSWER YOU'RE SEEKING IS HERE FAQ...?

Buffysquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
Hmm, maybe just a whole new section for the Prologues then? We could call it The Prolll-ogue!

*ducks*

woodtop255

Heather Topham Wood
Registered
Reaction score
Website
authorheather.wordpress.com
I'm torn on the whole prologue thing too. I wrote my entire manuscript and then added the prologue when I was done. I've received mixed comments on it. Some editors love it and felt it really captured the "voice" of my MC while others suggested I lose it altogether. It's a tough call, but thinking of dumping it during my next round of edits.

Pikabuddy

Learning more every day
Registered
Reaction score
As I said in another thread:

I think prologues are beneficial if the writer does them well, as it gives a sort of a preview of your story to a new reader. It shouldn't be an info dump, though. If there's explaining to do, I think it should be incorporated with action and/or dialogue.

Just my two cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.