International representation

jdwhitelaw

Gone Drinkin'
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jdwhitelaw.blogspot.com
Hello everybody.

I have a question regarding international representation. Being in the very early processes of searching for an agent for my MS, should I be considering North American agencies along with those in my native Britain.

As I'm new to this whole process, this is just a quick inquiry about protocol and, to certain extent, etiquette. Are N.American agents in the habit of taking on clients from abroad etc.

Thanks

JDW

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
It partly depends on what your manuscript's about and whether it's on a subject that would appeal to US-based readers, e.g. if you've got a US-based storyline, then it's definitely worth taking a punt at US agencies as well.

However, there are plenty of good UK agencies out there and the big ones all have good foreign rights departments with links to the US so they can sell your manuscript internationally. My advice generally would be to start in the UK and then expand out later.

MM

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
Your British agent will have his/her own subagent in the US; even a small agency will have this. My first UK agent was a one-woman-start-up, and she had a US contact for cases where she would sell the US rights. Sure, you can look for an agent in both the UK and US but whichever one you sign with will represent you internationally.

For the record, I lived in the UK when I signed with a US agent.

jdwhitelaw

Gone Drinkin'
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jdwhitelaw.blogspot.com
I'm not really in search of a US agent in order to "mass market" my work as I assumed most agents anywhere would have the relevant contacts for foreign markets.

I was just unsure if there would be difficulties I'm not aware of in terms of representation because of the international difference.

N.B My MS is Sci-Fi although there are certain British colloquialisms and dialects. Would this matter greatly?

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
N.B My MS is Sci-Fi although there are certain British colloquialisms and dialects. Would this matter greatly?

Nope, not at all. If the book is sold to a US publisher, they might or might not want to 'Americanise' it. Just like when US writers sell to UK publishers, the publisher might or might not want to 'Britishise' it. You don't need to worry about it, even if you're querying US agents. They'll be able to tell from your contact details that you're in the UK and will expect to see British usage.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Hello everybody.

I have a question regarding international representation. Being in the very early processes of searching for an agent for my MS, should I be considering North American agencies along with those in my native Britain?

As I'm new to this whole process, this is just a quick inquiry about protocol and, to certain extent, etiquette. Are N.American agents in the habit of taking on clients from abroad etc.

Thanks

JDW

Yes. Next question.

I know several UK writers with US agents.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
I was just unsure if there would be difficulties I'm not aware of in terms of representation because of the international difference.
Not really. The query letter is different (in teh US, often the agent only wants the letter to start with, so it has to hook them in. In the UK, it's more of a cover letter as most agents wants the first three chapters or so in the submission, so you just a few lines to describe your book) but other than that, it's pretty similar I think.

My agented fantasy is full of Britishness too. My agent is in the US. It may affect where the agents subs it to, but if so your agent shoudl discuss this with you.

What matters most is that your submission--your story and in the case of the US, your query--is top notch.