my new OFFICE aka best husband in the world...

tiny

riding the sun
Registered
Reaction score
Southern California between the Desert and the Mou
Website
www.facebook.com
I haz one.

We've been talking about my office since we moved into this house (and I kept getting excited about it) but we never really had the funds to make it happen when we first purchased the place three years ago. Finally after the new house smell wore off (the first year is always expensive) we had the monies... but we've had an absolute parade of people who've decided we had an extra room they could live in.

Yeah. House guests for freaking ever.

Well, no more. A couple of weeks ago we built spectacular shelves after taking out the sliding closet door and making a walkin closet out of it.

430444_315412871828040_100000779892679_783307_1819552692_n.jpg

The picture is lousy, but you get the idea. What fun we had and on Wednesday we are picking up a set of french doors and two interior windows to open the office visually to the front room. FINALLY! No more extra bedroom.

Can you believe those shelves? I can't wait to start cutting holes in the wall... but it occurs to me that I'll actually have to work now.

Last edited:

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Say, does he have any single brothers?

Congratz!

tiny

riding the sun
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
No more guest room is a huge relief. I'm so tickled. Looking for just the right gargoyle to sit in the top left hand space. And sorry, no brothers, he's an only child.

I'm looking for a desk at the moment. Anyone have any ideas? We're not above building one but none of the hardwood boards we have are big enough, plus they're all slated for something else. I'm thinking a large workspace that I can put a computer on plus set up my sew machine occasionally.

Reaction score
Congrats on your new work space! That is very sweet of your husband to spoil you so. I would have neglected you and turned into a personal mancave, full of gadgets and bad smells.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Beautiful! We did our study (er, had our study done, not being the handy types) too, and built the desk exactly the way we wanted it. Worked out perfectly.

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Gorgeous room, Tiny.

...And yes, your hubby rocks! ;)

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The best desk I've seen in a while was also a dual-purpose desk for sewing and computer use.

The maker bought a nine-cube storage unit at Target or Sears (or other places that sell them) and put it on heavy-duty wheels. It was topped with some kind of pretty hardwood cut to match its size, the cubes at the open end, not at the user's knees. The other end had two sturdy turned legs with wheels at the bottom, painted to match the cube unit. The person said she turned it to use the sewing side or the computer side, stored things in the cubes to be reachable from the desired side, and it could be rolled into another room if need be.

Maryn, whose husband has a workshop, a long list of things she wants, and not enough time

BeatrixKiddo

Is it summer yet???
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, that's awesome. I've always admired men (and women) who were good at building stuff, or putting stuff together since I am not talented in that area at all.

I want a husband like this.

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
Good on the both of you! It takes commitment and strong will to toss the hallowed three-bedroom house. Hubby and I did this to our last house. He ripped out the closet and built in the desk and shelving. We both had desks in there. A beautiful room.

Our realtor "tsked" us for removing a bedroom. Pfft. We were in a university town and firmly believed someone would want a fabulous office. Sold with no problem.

Hubby built his desk with scrap wood and he made a laminate desk top. It looked awesome. Plus he could make the desk height and width of the opening to fit HIM.

I can send you a PM with a photo of it if you like.

Wicked

Outcast Rogue
Registered
Reaction score
Very nice. It looks great. :)

I wish my bug room had that many shelves.

tiny

riding the sun
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Snowstorm, I would so love to see the picture!!

We did leave the closet, because strangely enough this house does have a coat closet near the front door. Yeah it's Southern California, but it gets cold here and it rains in the winter. So we made the bedroom closet into a walk-in part for storage and part for a coat closet.

I don't honestly foresee ever selling this house. We love the area, and a strange as it sounds, it's pretty cheap to live here. I know a lot of people think California is expensive but it's really not.

March 1st. As promised, the demo starts today. YAY!!! I'm so excited. It feels like Christmas!

tiny

riding the sun
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I am so pleased. So very tired, but so pleased. For the last three days we've been working. We removed the walls, rewired (I think they let a llama route the wires in this house... and he was blind), installed a set of french doors and took two other windowed doors and created two interior windows. The drywalling is in full swing as well as the trim work.

423896_3104122575083_1624821849_2496678_76546493_n.jpg

420689_3115108929735_1624821849_2499985_867588408_n.jpg

I've painted the trimmed area cream so far, but I still have a great deal of painting to do. The office itself will be the same green as the living room and I'm considering changing the orange in the hall... but I don't know because that color makes me happy.

I can't believe the way the light has changed. It's wonderful. :D