Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 1 of 11 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: The Movie John Carter?

A Gentleman of a refined age... thothguard51's Avatar

The Movie John Carter?

Anyone going to see, the Pixler/Disney movie, John Carter?

Here's a link to a trailer,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4jfd3mW9B0

Let us know your thoughts once you see the movie...
    Knowledge is learned while wisdom is earned.

Currently working on...

From, The Tales of Netherron,
    Book 1, A Game of Pawns
    Book 2, Pawn takes Queen,
    Book 3, Pawn's Gambit,

In the pipeline,
    Children of Netherron, follow up trilogy
    Guardians of Netherron, prequel trilogy

http://nickanthony51.wordpress.com (on hiatus)

Nick Anthony

OUTCAST is out now!!!! Toothpaste's Avatar
    I'm seeing it on Wed, will let you know!

all hail zombie babies! CrastersBabies's Avatar
    I will see it, but what annoys me is the chick. John Caaaah-tahhh..... oh boy, lady. wtf?
    "That is hoity-toity nonsense." ~ Bufty

She has got to be better than the last actress, (and I use the term loosely), who played Deja Thoris... Tracy Lords.

Anyone wanna bet the Scifi channel will run that one again while John Carter is in the theathers?

Currently working on...

Book 1, A Game of Pawns
    Book 3, Pawn's Gambit,

In the pipeline,

Nick Anthony

That hairy-handed gent
    I'll probably see it. It seems to have no pretensions of profundity, and just to be a glory fun ride, thereby capturing the same qualities that permeate ERBurroughs' novels, which I devoured when I was about 14.

caw

Professional Heretic horrorshowjack's Avatar
    Thinking about going to a matinee. Weird since I usually go to a theater once a year or so.

Action is my reward..that and bacon MttStrn's Avatar
    Just re-read A Princess of Mars in preparation to see this. I will say that I might firebomb Disney if they screw it up.

My housemate and I will go see it at some point. She wants to see it in IMAX 3D, if available. Will let you know when I get back.
    My blog: Myth Mugger

Flamechild, the first anthology in the Children of the Vortex series, is now available here.
    Stonechild is a free intro story to the Children of the Vortex series, now available here

Info on my avatar

yawping barbarically over the roofs of the world
    Have to admit, I wasn't really inspired to see the movie due to the absolutely dreadful official trailers that Disney kept botching.

Once I saw the fanmade trailer, it managed to spark my emotions (like a good trailer should do, too bad Disney really screwed that up) to want to see it. But I may wait to see what fans of the books are saying before I risk the price of a movie ticket.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phaeal View Post
    The first draft is a huge pile of clay that you've laboriously heaped on your table, patting it into a rough shape as you go along. From the second draft onward, you'll cut away chunks, add bits, pat and punch and pinch, until you finally have a gorgeous figure of, oh, Marcus Aurelius. Or a duck. But a damn fine duck.
    Quote Originally Posted by KTC View Post
    1) Write like your face is on fire.
    I tweet. Not often, maybe not interestingly, but I tweet.
    My sort-of-not-really blog.

Dust Bunnies are NSA Agents! robjvargas's Avatar
    Bring along only enough brain to get to the theater, it seems.

Looks fun, but I'm going to wait for fan reviews before I plunk down the ten-spot.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.
    -Robert A. Heinlein-

Not responsible for bitten fingers Shadow_Ferret's Avatar
    I'd like to see it. Finances being what they are, I might not. But the trailers and stills I've seen have me pretty excited.
    Twitter | Pinterest | WordPress | Tumblr

“I love words but I don’t like strange ones. You don’t understand them and they don’t understand you. Old words is like old friends, you know ‘em the minute you see ‘em.” -- Will Rogers

"Blame it on my ADD, baby." -- AWOLNATION

It's not bad, quite interesting really. Some very strong moments, but also some weak storytelling (and a totally underused James Purefoy). I'll be posting my review come Friday. But if you enjoy these kinds of movies, I think it's worth checking out. Despite it being flawed.

Look forward to your review Toothpaste...

In honor of ER Burroughs and his John Carter on Mars series, I have posted a new Avatar from an early Frank Frazetta illistration for a cover from the late 60's or early 70's.

These type of covers were very helpful in catching the eyes of the readers, mostly young men and boys, and helped to push the series like never before. Even Boris Vallejo had a cover for The Princess of Mars.

This type of artwork is why Disney is going for the look it is using, with scantly clad women and half naked men. But then most of Burroughs women were scantly dressed and always well porportioned. As a young man, his women characters stirred emotions in me...

Also, as far as Burrough's women characters go, I think he used the same formula Rober E. Howard used before him. The less the women wear the more the men will pay attention. I don't recall HG Wells ever using that formula before Burroughs or Howard.

Hope everyone enjoys the avatar...

Currently working on...

Book 1, A Game of Pawns
    Book 3, Pawn's Gambit,

In the pipeline,

Nick Anthony

Quote Originally Posted by thothguard51 View Post
    Also, as far as Burrough's women characters go, I think he used the same formula Rober E. Howard used before him.
    Um, A Princess of Mars was written thirteen years before REH published his first story.

I've been waiting forty years for this movie. Of course, I'm not going to miss it.

Quote Originally Posted by SirOtter View Post
    Um, A Princess of Mars was written thirteen years before REH published his first story.

I've been waiting forty years for this movie. Of course, I'm not going to miss it.
    I stand corrected then. Maybe it was Howard who borrowed from Burroughs then...

Currently working on...

Book 1, A Game of Pawns
    Book 3, Pawn's Gambit,

In the pipeline,

Nick Anthony

volitare nequeo AW Moderator veinglory's Avatar
    The general industry expectations seem to be that it will lose money.

Quote Originally Posted by veinglory View Post
    The general industry expectations seem to be that it will lose money.
    Of course that's what they expect. I'd enjoy it if they were stunned with what happens, but who's to say?

I know they'll be getting my IMAX-3D ticket price, at least. *shrug*

Flamechild, the first anthology in the Children of the Vortex series, is now available here.
    Stonechild is a free intro story to the Children of the Vortex series, now available here

Info on my avatar

Banned
    I'm not entirely impressed with the trailers. Looks to me like a collision between Star Wars and Conan the Barbarian--and no, I've never read the Princess of Mars series.

Just wanted to say I've just come back from an interview roundtable with Taylor Kitsch (the star of the film) and it was just fantastic. There was some really cool insight into the making of the film, and his relationship with the director. I'll be likely posting the audio for the interview tomorrow/Friday, so I'll come back and let you know. Even if the film doesn't intrigue you, if you like the filmmaking process, you'll like hearing this roundtable.

Also, as a side note, Kitsch is an amazing interviewee. Sincere, well spoken and funny. Makes eye contact with you. And I was also sitting right next to him, and yes, he really is rather nice to look at too .

My review should also be up on Friday. Will return with the link then too .

This is Adrienne aka Toothpaste, signing off.

Quote Originally Posted by Toothpaste View Post
    Just wanted to say I've just come back from an interview roundtable with Taylor Kitsch (the star of the film) and it was just fantastic. There was some really cool insight into the making of the film, and his relationship with the director. I'll be likely posting the audio for the interview tomorrow/Friday, so I'll come back and let you know. Even if the film doesn't intrigue you, if you like the filmmaking process, you'll like hearing this roundtable.

Also, as a side note, Kitsch is an amazing interviewee. Sincere, well spoken and funny. Makes eye contact with you. And I was also sitting right next to him, and yes, he really is rather nice to look at too .

I am so jealous right now. Way to go, girlfriend!

practical experience, FTW
    Quote Originally Posted by Toothpaste View Post

*dies of jealousy*

I will definitely check out that link! Very cool.

practical experience, FTW JanDarby's Avatar
    I'm not much of a movie-goer, but for Taylor Kitsch, I might make an exception. I loved him as Riggins in FNL.

Taylor was the only good thing in the Wolverine movie. I mean, I never liked Remy, but Taylor totally sold me on the character. It's the only thing I know I've seen him in, but I'm really looking forward to seeing what he's going to do with John Carter. I adore the books, so I'm apprehensive, but still excited.

Plans are to see the first matinee on Friday. I'm forgoing my pre-work nap to see this movie.

Info on my avatar

There's a 10-minute scene preview on John Carter's official YouTube.

lol, I was kind of jealous of myself.

Anyway, here's the interview: http://hardcorenerdity.com/2012/03/0...taylor-kitsch/

Page 1 of 11 1234567 ... LastLast