Publish America

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Sigh--Manfred Mann." wound up like douche what a runner in the night. " never could understand those lyrics.

Actually, in the Manfred Mann version, it's "revved up like a deuce, another runner in the night." Springsteen's original lyric was "cut loose like a deuce, another runner in the night." The Boss was having a spasm if rhymology when he wrote this song, and it ain't one of the high points of his canon.

caw

Pyekett

I need no hot / Words.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's not a top notch effort, just brain-sticky.

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
Well, isn't that just great. It's late and I'm heading for bed and now that damn song is in my head!

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
Fortunately I have an antidote for that. Just repeat after me--No, no, no- no, I don't smoke it no more. I'm tired of waking up on the floor. No thank you please it just makes me sneeze...

Pyekett

I need no hot / Words.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The thing is, would PublishAmerica publish it? Because we're getting off track here.

I'm pretty sure that the excessive use of gratuitous rhyming without a cohesive storyline would cause it to be rejected. You can't just throw words together willy-nilly and get it through PA's gate.

(That link is for you, Jeani. It's backstory on some members of Absolute Write and others trying to highlight the issues with PA. Your efforts to deter authors from misstepping are appreciated here. Welcome to AW, and thank you.)

The distinctive flaws of Atlanta Nights include nonidentical chapters written by two different authors from the same segment of outline (13 and 15), a missing chapter (21), two chapters that are word-for-word identical to each other (4 and 17), two different chapters with the same chapter number (12 and 12), and a chapter "written" by a computer program that generated random text based on patterns found in the previous chapters (34). Characters change gender and race; they die and reappear without explanation. Spelling and grammar are nonstandard and the formatting is inconsistent. The initials of characters who were named in the book spelled out the phrase "PublishAmerica is a vanity press."
Teresa Nielsen Hayden's review said, "The world is full of bad books written by amateurs. But why settle for the merely regrettable? Atlanta Nights is a bad book written by experts."

Last edited:

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
Let's try it and see. We write a story about a fortyish rock star who is trying to get off drugs. The first chapter would be about a lady that he knows who just got back from Columbia... My bet is that they will take it without ever looking at it. I will write the first chapter if someone will do the second. IF it is legal to paraphrase Hoyt Axton's lyrics--s6