Stop PublishAmerica

FOTSGreg

Today is your last day.
Registered
Reaction score
A land where FTL travel is possible and horrible t
Website
Www.fire-on-the-suns.com
Stonecold, the only one who can make the decision to stop writing is you - and that's not even close to what I was suggesting.

As Uncle Jim said, use your time more effectively to write another book. I'm not trying to be offensive here, but how much more time do you want to waste going after PA? I apologize, but at 74, you don't have all that much time left. Why waste the last 20-30 years of your life on going after PA when you could, instead, write as many as 80-120 novels in that time?

Personally, I'd go for the novels and put PA far back in my mind, using my blogs to promote my work and market it. That's a helluva' platform you've got there potentially.

Scribe4264

Sockpuppet
Banned
Richard Paolinelli Sock
Reaction score
I am embarassed to admit it but I did no research on PA prior to "giving" them my book. The reason for my embarassment is I am a legal assistant, research is one of my main duties. Truth is, I grew impatient and when they said they would publish my manuscript, I went for it.

I have no excuse for now being caught in their trap. I just hope other hopeful writers will not be as impatient as I was.

Don't feel bad, I got snared the same way. Should have spent more time and effort checking them out. Good news is, I am free and clear in 307 days.

Stonecold2338

Registered
Reaction score
I am not going to stop writing, but I am going to put PA behind me.

I hope I have 30 more years to write, but if I don't, I am ready to go.

I just hope that what I have done to warn other authors is not for nothing.
I had one woman e-mail me, telling me that she had read about PA and then she signed a contract with them and now she is mad. I didn't tell her what I wanted to tell her !

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
I am embarassed to admit it but I did no research on PA prior to "giving" them my book. The reason for my embarassment is I am a legal assistant, research is one of my main duties. Truth is, I grew impatient and when they said they would publish my manuscript, I went for it.

Don't blame yourself. People who are cautious in their jobs, where their minds are engaged, can often be less careful when an agent or publisher accepts their work, and their emotions are engaged.

allenparker

Naked Futon Guy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allenparker.net
I am not going to stop writing, but I am going to put PA behind me.

I hope I have 30 more years to write, but if I don't, I am ready to go.

I just hope that what I have done to warn other authors is not for nothing.
I had one woman e-mail me, telling me that she had read about PA and then she signed a contract with them and now she is mad. I didn't tell her what I wanted to tell her !

Stone, can I offer some encouragement? I pubbed with PA way back in 2002. Yesterday, ten years later, I had my 8th book come out. I am in three genres and have a modest success. Think of what you can do with that much more experience and knowledge than me.

Get your revenge on PA my way. Write a book that a publisher wants to sell to the public. Take the advance and drink a toast to the people who made it possible, the friends, lovers, and others who make your world exciting. Then drink a toast to the other people, may they receive rest only when they seek peace with you.

LLauren

A proud member of the Cat Staff
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bibliobuffet.com
You sure know how to talk to people and I like that, Thank you for spending so much time on me.

I have one blog about my new book that I am writing now and the others I will let fade away, and sooner or later I will forget about PA !

I got a e-mail from PA this morning saying they didn't sell any of my books, that made me happy, because if I didn't make any money on my book then they didn't make any money on my book.

I want to thank you again.

You are most welcome.

I am thrilled that you are going to continue writing. Do check out the other discussions on AW. It won't be easy, but I am sure you have the determination to learn what you must to write what you want.

I wish you the best of luck, and I'll be watching to see your happiness grow as you do. Again, congratulations.

Arkie

a reader's ear and a writer's heart
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know if Publish America is stopping, but to look at the PAMB, you'd think they're grinding to a halt. There have been only five new authors post since January 2012, and in order to maintain a full page of postings, and give the appearance of an active membership, in all the categories, they've kept postings up in some cases since 2009, and a good number since 2010. I can remember the time when there were so many posters that if you posted in any category, your post would move down and off the bottom of the page in a few hours.

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
I don't know if Publish America is stopping, but to look at the PAMB, you'd think they're grinding to a halt. There have been only five new authors post since January 2012, and in order to maintain a full page of postings, and give the appearance of an active membership, in all the categories, they've kept postings up in some cases since 2009, and a good number since 2010. I can remember the time when there were so many posters that if you posted in any category, your post would move down and off the bottom of the page in a few hours.

Most of the activity has shifted to the PA facebook page.