Emanuel Church has a donate button on their website, if you'd like to help.

See also the Mother Emanuel Hope Fund

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Introductions and Need Critique Partner (Paranormal and Erotica Genres)

Working On The Publishing Dream kimberlyFDR's Avatar

Talking Introductions and Need Critique Partner (Paranormal and Erotica Genres)

Hi all! I'm an emerging paranormal fantasy novelist who is currently querying a paranormal novel that's not getting good results and editing a second novel that's more in the paranormal erotic genre (I think).

Novel One: This one's the paranormal fantasy that has been polished and through multiple revisions with agent feedback, editor feedback, critique groups, and online feedback sessions. However, either my query's not working or my subject matter is one that's flooded the market.

Heaven and Hell Alike: When God goes AWOL, righteous demon Liam and angelic lover Mikael become pawns in the battle for Heaven. Victory means losing everything they've built together. (currently querying)

Novel Two: This one is an erotic novel that I don't know how to categorize. Would it be paranormal fantasy considering the subject matter or some other subgenre of erotica? It's also weird subject matter, so that'll likely lessen my query list. I'm almost ready for first level critique on this manuscript.

His Womanly Ways: When Alex gets cursed by a spurned lover to “know what it's like for a woman” he never expected to literally become one. As his body changes into something his mind no longer recognizes, he must depend on his female best friend to help him cope. When friendship morphs into something more, Alex wonders if this curse was actually a blessing in disguise. (currently editing)

It's nice to meet everyone and I hope that we can find a critique match among us
    Being an author is like being in charge of your own personal insane asylum. ~Graycie Harmon

Staff writer for the Fandomania, Nerds in Babeland, SpoilerTV blogs, and formerly the ScienceFantasyUniverse blog.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin melissam80's Avatar
    What is it that you want from a critique partner for your novels? Especially the first one? It seems like it's already out there in the publishing void.

Quote Originally Posted by melissam80 View Post
    What is it that you want from a critique partner for your novels? Especially the first one? It seems like it's already out there in the publishing void.
    I wouldn't say it's out in the publishing void. I've queried a few agents, revised my query when I don't get a positive response, and go through the process again. My batches are very small until I get a more consistent request rate, so extra eyes on the manuscript itself is not going to be turned away. Something's not working, considering the revisions and feedback I've gotten along the way not helping to sell the manuscript on subsequent queries, so perhaps a fresh pair of eyes would see something my critique group hasn't.
    Being an author is like being in charge of your own personal insane asylum. ~Graycie Harmon

Staff writer for the Fandomania, Nerds in Babeland, SpoilerTV blogs, and formerly the ScienceFantasyUniverse blog.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin melissam80's Avatar
    Cool! Well, I'd be happy to take a look at either of them. I'm a copy editor in my day job and a writer by night. I also have a bit of sex and erotica in my writing. As you can see I'm new to the site, so I'm hoping to get some beta reads and get some more experience in the forums.

Soaking up information. L.Blake's Avatar
    Depending on what you want, I might be helpful. If grammar is involved, you'd be better off not letting me beta.

L.

p.s. when do I not get to be a fish? Nevermind, I'm not a fish anymore.
    Last edited by L.Blake; 04-28-2012 at 05:45 PM. Reason: no longer a fish

Travel biologist, piss-poor fluffer quicklime's Avatar
    been to query letter hell????
    Three words that convey the meaning of six will always look better than twelve...

a' traveling:
    --June 15 week: Chicago

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by melissam80 View Post
    Cool! Well, I'd be happy to take a look at either of them. I'm a copy editor in my day job and a writer by night. I also have a bit of sex and erotica in my writing. As you can see I'm new to the site, so I'm hoping to get some beta reads and get some more experience in the forums.
    Thank you! I'm currently working on some notes about the current version, so I'll drop you a personal message when that's done and I can send out the revised version!

Quote Originally Posted by L.Blake View Post
    Depending on what you want, I might be helpful. If grammar is involved, you'd be better off not letting me beta.
    It's all-inclusive. Agents like my voice, but I think the subject matter is too flooded on the market right now (unfortunately). I'm currently doing revisions based on the latest rounds of notes, so I'm just keeping at it. Hopefully it'll connect with an agent before my querying rounds are over.

Quote Originally Posted by quicklime View Post
    been to query letter hell????
    The old forum on here or....?