secret printing of a book?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarieSalvros

Registered
Reaction score
If you sell a book to an epublisher who takes print rights, but only exercieses those rights sometimes, with some titles (like if they're popular enough, or something), can you take the ebook proof and cover to a printer and get a copy of your book printed in secret just for yourself? Or can you get in trouble for that. How would they ever know?

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Only the contract can say for sure, but the general rule is a copy just for yourself, yes. Copies that you intend to sell or give away, no.

But take away the "secret" part. Anything you try to do in secret is probably a bad idea. The publisher should have no problem at all with you printing a book or two for your own use.

MJNL

A Little Lost
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lostetter.wordpress.com
You can go to Kinkos and get a copy made for you, and one for your parents, and one for your grandma. If it's not for distribution, it's ok. But, make sure it's a printer and not a publisher. Any service that retains a copy of your manuscript, or requires you to sign a contract that includes rights of any kind, should absolutely be avoided.

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
Unless the cover work is yours, and you hold the rights to the cover, then you can not use the cover.

As to publishing an e-book to a print copy, for sale, I doubt that your publisher would agree to allow you to do so. It will all depend on what your contact says. The fact that the publisher has rights to print, at their discretion, sounds to me like they hold the rights to print copies as well as e-book copies...

My suggestion, check with the publisher to see how they feel about this???

Status
Not open for further replies.