ROWLING SIGNS WITH LITTLE BROWN FOR NEW ADULT BOOK

Status
Not open for further replies.

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
JK Rowling has signed with Little Brown for a new adult novel. Right now it sounds like a single book deal and Rowling said she is excited to go in a new direction with a new publisher.

I think this is a smart move for Little Brown as it will bring the fans of HP who are now adults to Little Brown for Rowling's new adult book. I am willing to bet there is a clause for any sequels even though this appears to be a one book deal...

Link...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/23/new-jk-rowling-book_n_1296367.html?ref=books#comments

So, who will follow?

Will Rowling's be able to pull off an adult novel?

Do you think her style will have to change or will her adult fans follow no matter the style of writing?

Any other thoughts...

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
Don'tKnowDon'tCareWHOOHOO. Will read anything she writes. I trust her. :)

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sure they had a spontaneous dance party on the tops of their desks the moment she said she was interested.

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sure they had a spontaneous dance party on the tops of their desks the moment she said she was interested.

True, she is a big coo for them. Her new editor says he is excited to work with her on a more adult oriented novel. I suspect he won't have to work that hard...

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
I'll read it :) .

Posted this in the YA thread on the same subject, but I think it's fun so I'm sharing it here. This is the front page for her agent's website where they announce that she has a book deal. Someone on Twitter suggested they should keep the title of the book featured here through to publication. It made me laugh, because truly, that's all you need to say: http://www.theblairpartnership.com/

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score
rising from the depths of a cup of coffee
I probably will get it. I think she's a good writer. So, I'm sure she will be fine. I'm not quite sure what she'll write though. Given that she's written fantasy for so long, she may not write fantasy. Or if she does, it may not be what we expect.

kasper

Registered
Reaction score
I'm looking forward to reading whatever she writes next. I don't really care what genre she decides to write in.

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't get too far into the first HP book, so no, I won't be reading it.

Not that I think JKR will be crying over it. ;)

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
It didn't go to auction. There are a lot of very, very miffed publishers out there wondering how this came about.

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
True, she is a big coo for them.

Now, for all eternity, I will see the staff at Little, Brown and Company as pigeons, pecking celebratory bread crumbs off the conference room table. :D

IMO, the HP books were, like many animated movies, as well-suited to adults (who could appreciate JKR's wry voice) as to children (who could appreciate the more obvious fireworks.)

The later HP books were as complex as most adult fiction, and Bloomsbury acknowledged their grown-up appeal by issuing the entire series in "adult" editions as well as children's.

So, no, I've no fears that she can't write adult fiction. She's already done so.

I hope the new book will be fantasy, though. Something huge and tasty and weird like Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
It didn't go to auction. There are a lot of very, very miffed publishers out there wondering how this came about.

Just a guess, but if any writer out there doesn't need auction money, it's Rowling. She can afford to go with the publisher she most wants, rather than the one who offers the most money at auction.

And Little, Brown is one of the very best, anyway. I can't think of one I'd rather write for.

You can also bet she's going to make another fifteen tons of money, whatever the size of the advance.

Lady MacBeth

Out, damn'd spot! out, I say.
Registered
Reaction score
I'll wait until the hype dies down and a few people have read it who can be objective. I've been disappointed by over-hyped novels before.

heza

Registered
Reaction score
I liked HP and I think Rowling is a great storyteller. My appreciation is probably not going to inspire me to cross genre lines, though. If she writes in an area I know I enjoy, then I'll buy the book. If she writes in something I don't already seek out, like crime thriller, then I'll probably pass.

Torgo

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
Just a guess, but if any writer out there doesn't need auction money, it's Rowling. She can afford to go with the publisher she most wants, rather than the one who offers the most money at auction.

And Little, Brown is one of the very best, anyway. I can't think of one I'd rather write for.

You can also bet she's going to make another fifteen tons of money, whatever the size of the advance.

Agreed, but an auction isn't just about money; it's about the whole proposition. Little, Brown is one of the very best, but you'd think the rest of the very best might have been given a chance to prove that one of them is better. [/miffed]

heza

Registered
Reaction score
Little, Brown is one of the very best, but you'd think the rest of the very best might have been given a chance to prove that one of them is better. [/miffed]

I don't know. The general angst that she bypassed the auction process (if I understand the underlying issue) sort of implies (to me) that all publishers have a right, here. It might have been in her own best interests to see what others would have been willing to do for her, but she's not under any obligation to give them the opportunity if she knew, for whatever reason, that she definitely wanted to go with Little, Brown.

Torgo

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
I don't know. The general angst that she bypassed the auction process (if I understand the underlying issue) sort of implies (to me) that all publishers have a right, here. It might have been in her own best interests to see what others would have been willing to do for her, but she's not under any obligation to give them the opportunity if she knew, for whatever reason, that she definitely wanted to go with Little, Brown.

Oh, I'd never claim entitlement - no obligation on her; the angst is as much confusion as anything else, I think.

heza

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, I'd never claim entitlement - no obligation on her; the angst is as much confusion as anything else, I think.

Oh, nevermind then.

So they're more "When did that happen?" than "How dare she not let us bid?"

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
I look forward to reading it. She'll be under the microscope with people comparing this novel to her Harry Potter novels.

Status
Not open for further replies.