• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Packager] Glasstown Entertainment (formerly Paper Lantern Lit)

MandyHubbard

Once Upon a Time....
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.MandyHubbard.com
Thanks for the responses - it sounds like a good deal.

I'm wondering what kind of conflict, if any, this might have with an already agented writer. If the agent has signed a specific work and not an author, I suppose the writer could use a pen name...?

If you're agented, your agent would negotiate the terms.

All of their authors are pen-names, a standard practice in WFH or packaged books.

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
I don't believe the use of pen names is standard for WFH -- it may be common in some sectors but I know many writers who do WFH under their own names, in part to build credits and readership. Can writers do that for PPL? I understand that PPL retains copyright -- do they also own the pen name, or may writers publish other works under the same name?

JoyMC

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joymcculloughcarranza.com
I understand that PPL retains copyright -- do they also own the pen name, or may writers publish other works under the same name?

PLL owns the name you publish under BUT they don't care if you make clear who you are also known as. So you can be Mary Jane Smith, and work with PLL as MJ Smith, and then say on your author website: Mary Jane Smith, also writing as MJ Smith.

MandyHubbard

Once Upon a Time....
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.MandyHubbard.com
I don't believe the use of pen names is standard for WFH -- it may be common in some sectors but I know many writers who do WFH under their own names, in part to build credits and readership. Can writers do that for PPL? I understand that PPL retains copyright -- do they also own the pen name, or may writers publish other works under the same name?

You're right, it's far more common in packaged work than basic WFH. My NASCAR romance for harlequin, that was WFH, was under my own name.

PLL owns the names. So you do get to create the name under which you'll write, but they get to continue using it, whether that's with you or with another writer. Most packagers are going to operate this way as they're trying to build brand names with the authors, and they need to be able to continue doing that.

Linds

Can't Touch This, Stop, Query Time!
Registered
Reaction score
This may seem a bit of silly question, but when they talk about submitting a resume along with the sample pages and a bio is that specifically a 'writing' resume or a more general one?

JulianaHaygert

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.julianahaygert.com
This may seem a bit of silly question, but when they talk about submitting a resume along with the sample pages and a bio is that specifically a 'writing' resume or a more general one?

I was told it's not crucial. If you have any writing credentials (short stories, workshops, participation on a writing blog, etc) add them to your "resume" ... I wrote about me as if I would write on a query, but longer.
The important part is the writing sample.

NoblinGoblin

I write in bed.
Registered
Reaction score
I got an R a few days ago. I can't say I'm surprised--I don't think I am quite what they're looking for. I was hoping I'd get a shot, though! Oh, well!

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
I would imagine they're looking for a specific "voice/style" that compliments their up-and-coming projects. Just like Tokyo Pop looks for a certain flowery, purple type prose. Since they are YA heavy and experienced with that, it might be after a great YA voice, either first or third. Who knows?

amamoth

this space left intentionally blank
Registered
Reaction score
I sent PLL a sample and got a rejection, but I had to nudge to get a response. The period between the first email, the nudge, and the reply was something like four months. I didn't know what to do about the resume either so I opted to write a short bio in the email. It was working with and learning from the women involved that really got me excited, even more so than the actual getting paid part (ha) but, well... :(

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
It's really strange. But you have to register so you can send in a submission. They have a form where you fill it out and send an attachment. But in other instructions they tell you NOT to send an attachment.

So where is their submission email? Or do you use the form? Which is it?

Tri--confused and befuddled.

FluffBunny

Disapproving plot bun disapproves.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Third burrow on your left. Your other left.
I didn't want to clog up their system with a less-than-real registration. If there's a submission textbox available after registration, my guess is that you'd paste it all in there--resume, brief bio and ten-page writing sample.

ETA: looks like they're on Twitter and FB, so you might be able to ask there to get the straight skinny.

Last edited:

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
It's really strange. But you have to register so you can send in a submission. They have a form where you fill it out and send an attachment. But in other instructions they tell you NOT to send an attachment.

So where is their submission email? Or do you use the form? Which is it?

Tri--confused and befuddled.

They use Submittable for their initial submissions. It took me a minute to figure out where the link was but one of those "Submit your Story" phrases in the Submission guidelines was a link to their Submittable page. You then are offered a space for a cover letter plus the ability to upload up to two files (one for the resume, one for the writing sample).

RoseColoredSkies

It's a long and winding road
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sarah-biglow.com
I sent in my "audition" today. We'll see what comes of it. It would be a fantastic opportunity if it were to work out right.

To those who have more experience, do they keep trying to match you with a project if they like your voice?

frankiebrown

Simplify.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm intimidated by the section for a cover letter. What should I do? Write it like I would for a job? Or is that where the query for the sample goes (even though I know I'm not querying sample)?

hester

New year, new avatar.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure, but I would think the cover letter would be more or less like a job application (i.e., listing writing credentials, relevant experience, etc.) Hopefully, someone with more knowledge about the process will weigh in :).

I actually was wondering--if you sent a sample which was rejected, are you permitted to try with a second, different sample? Just wondering, and thanks! :).

frankiebrown

Simplify.
Registered
Reaction score
I would assume since technically this is a write-for-hire situation that writing a cover letter would be a lot like a job application. But as a writer who's never been published, I'm not sure what to say in the cover letter. My personal writing history? Wouldn't that be a kind of a snooze fest? Do they really care that I've been writing stories since middle school? I guess I could talk about my job as a book seller... bah.

If anyone has done this already, I'd really appreciate some insight.

paulcosca

The Paulest of all Coscas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.paulcosca.com
I think what they are really looking for is something simple and polite, explaining how you heard about them and what (if any) writing experience you may have. Like any cover letter, it doesn't have to be anything elaborate.

To answer an above question, it seems they definitely want the writing sample attached as opposed to copy/pasted. I submitted a 10 page sample yesterday to them and you definitely can't fit that in the text box where you include your cover letter, since there is a character limit.

It seems like a very interesting idea, to me at least. It would be an interesting challenge to write a book based off of someone else's main idea as opposed to me own.

EKWriter

Registered
Reaction score
I submitted to PLL last January. In April they contacted me about auditioning for an upcoming project. We went back and forth a few times, and I was told I would receive a "spark" page sometime in May/June. When I didn't hear anything, I followed up with them in July. Then again in October. Then again in December. Outside of the initial enthusiasm, I never heard from them again. And that sucks, too, because I was really interested in that project.

ZachJPayne

Beware: #amQuerying
Registered
Reaction score
Website
zachjpayne.com
My experience is extremely similar to EKWriter's.

I submitted to Paper Lantern Lit on 3/3/13. 10 pages, resume, and bio.

I got a response on 4/8/13. They were interested in my writing sample, and they were going to send me a "spark page" for a boys YA novel. They said it wouldn't be ready for 2-3 months. I responded back to them the same day, saying "thank you, i'd be very interested in receiving the spark page"

and I never heard back from them since.

(I have to add that while I've been completely disappointed by their lack of interest/response, that my writing -- both skill and ethic -- has improved by leaps and bounds since then. But it's an interesting could've been).

Last edited:

Clairels

Born at sea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.princessofpirates.wordpress.com
Hi, this is my first post here. I thought I'd share my experience with this outfit.

Long story short, I wouldn't lose sleep if I were you; you are probably not missing out on a whole lot by not working with this company. About two years ago, I was sent a "spark" and asked to do a sample based on it; they liked it enough to invited me to go into Round 2 by revising what I had sent based on their suggestions. I was ecstatic because I connected with the characters and thought the subject matter was right in my wheelhouse, and I followed their revisions to the letter. After a couple days of nail-biting, they rejected me outright. I figured, oh, okay, I wasn't right for this project, but I'll be at the top of the list for the next one, right?

Nope. They blacklisted me. As it turns out, rejected once from PLL= rejected forever, no matter how far you get in the process. Meanwhile, their ads trolling for hopefuls to submit samples still keep popping up on Craiglist with some regularity.

Make no mistake, they are perfectly pleasant people while working with you; I just get the sense that they look at writers as an expendable commodity. After all, no matter how good you are, there are always 50 other hopeful newbies coming along to take your place, right?

I hope this helps. I'll go back to lurking now. :)

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
I got an email from them just yesterday, saying they'd like to keep me on file to potentially audition for them, which is awesome. But a lot of people already posted that they've never heard back after that.

Regardless of what happens, it was really nice to get. I'm wondering if I get an agent or publisher for my own novels, can I still work for PPL? Some of you were mentioning pen names. I certainly wouldn't mind doing that. This might be something that would work for me. I think it would be a wonderful experience.

I guess it's a wait and see now.