• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Bush Publishing & Associates

Chrisla

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I don't see anything on Editors and Preditors about Bush Publishing, and haven't found anything in my search here. Does anybody know anything about them?

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
You mean these guys: http://www.wedobooksnow.com/index.html?

Pay-to-play vanity from the looks of it. It's notable that they don't put the prices on their website for their "Premium Package" or their "Elite Package" or indeed for their marketing packages (which, from the looks of the description they have up, are a complete joke).

Also notable is the fact that their "Profile and Success" page is currently blank.

There's a weird Speaking Engagements page that talks about what Margo does - all church related but I guess that Margo runs the company because none of their books has an author by that name.

If Margo does run the company then there's nothing to indicate what her previous publishing experience is.

And finally, the summary descriptions for those books they have published are a joke. Badly written, generic and meaingless. If they can't do a good job on that, then what hope is there of their doing a good job for your book?

You can do better. Move on.

MM

Stijn Hommes

Know what you write...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.peccarymagazine.5u.com
I didn't even know they existed until you asked the question, but looking at bushpublishing.com throws up plenty of red flags, at least for me.

"Bush Publishing is a traditional publishing house who embraces non-traditional publishing and marketing methods."
In my experience any publisher who feels the need to emphasize they're traditional often isn't.

They also list a number of services in a way that sounds as if you need to pay for them, without mention of prices.

Couldn't find submission guidelines.

On the author page, the heading contains a horrendous spelling error and they say "We at Bush Publishing are selective and give preference to book concepts we believe have the potential to be "Best-Sellers." However, we always keep our eyes open for exciting and high-quality book concepts of all genres that we believe have the marketability to sell at least 25 to 50 thousand copies within the first year or two." They clearly have no clue of the amount of copies you need to sell before you can call something a bestseller (also misspelled on their page).

On their homepage, they say "Bush Publishing has 10 Years Experience working with talented Writers!" Unfortunately, "writers" is misspelled and there is no indication about who is actually running the place.

It doesn't hurt to send a message through their contact form (as long as you DO NOT attach a manuscript), but I think this wouldn't be the best place to send your hard work to.

Stijn Hommes

Know what you write...
Registered
Reaction score
Website

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
See also this website: http://www.bushpublishing.com/.

I feel a flog coming on ...

Bush Publishing Website:
Have you submitted your manuscript to dozens of publishing houses, only to be turned away? If you have answered yes to any of these questions, Bush Publishing might be the company you're looking for.

So no one else wanted your manuscript? Hey, we'll take it! Always a good sales pitch.

Bush Publishing Website:
Bush Publishing is a traditional publishing house who embraces non-traditional publishing and marketing methods.

Uh-huh.

Bush Publishing Website:
It is common for many trade (full) publishers today to only focus the majority of their time and attention toward their authors that have proven marketability, neglecting their first-time authors.

Bollocks. First time authors actually do better than established mid-listers because they're easier to pitch to booksellers.

Bush Publishing Website:
We take on a limited number of new projects annually to ensure our product's integrity, delivery of the highest-quality books, and effective book promotions.

But fortunately, we do have a self-publishing sister company for all those manuscripts we'd love to take on but can't owing to our super selectivity so remember, if you're not lucky with us you can still pay to be published.

Bush Publishing Website:
All of our authors not only receive the highest quality book, but REALmarketing.

Uh-huh. And those examples of REAL marketing would be what exactly?

Bush Publishing Website::
We have 8 years of book publishing and marketing experience

Bush Publishing Website:
Bush Publishing has 10 Years Experience working with talented Writers!

It's always a positive sign when the publisher doesn't know how much experience it's got ...

Bush Publishing Website:
At Bush Publishing we have years of book publishing and marketing experience with talented first time and seasoned authors.

There's nothing on the website to indicate who's involved with the company that would back it up.
Bush Publishing Website:
Books We Publish Include:

• Novels
• Graphic Novels
• Biographies
• Autobiographies• Cook Books
• Children's Books
• Industry Specific
• Inspirational
• Instructional
• Business Book

So they'll pretty much publish anything. That suggests they don't have a specific marketing plan in mind and aren't looking to build their reputation within a particular genre.

I'm also confused by the fact that Bush Publishing has a Services page: http://www.bushpublishing.com/Book_Marketing_Services_Tulsa_OK.html

Which suggests to me that authors have to buy in those marketing and other services that Bush seems so proud of.

So basically, you can still do better. Move on.

MM

Chrisla

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks so much, everybody. I have a memoir (and they're not selling right now). I'm toying with the idea of self-publishing, so I can get it off my desk and concentrate on my WIP. But even if I go that route, I want it to be straight-forward--not an expensive vanity press. So Create Space may be the best option. Or--I could shove it in a drawer and hope the market changes . . .

priceless1

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.behlerpublications.com
Thanks so much, everybody. I have a memoir (and they're not selling right now). I'm toying with the idea of self-publishing, so I can get it off my desk and concentrate on my WIP. But even if I go that route, I want it to be straight-forward--not an expensive vanity press. So Create Space may be the best option. Or--I could shove it in a drawer and hope the market changes . . .
Chrisla, this is OT for this thread, but memoirs are, indeed, selling. Quite well, in fact. The problem is knowing if your memoir is marketable.

Stijn Hommes

Know what you write...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Be persistent and get yourself an agent or publisher for it. Self-publishing is okay, but regular publishing is going to maximize the number of readers and incoming cash flow in the long run. You can always shove it in a drawer when things don't work out and try again later.