• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Asteria Books Publishing House

yoki

Registered
Reaction score
I would like to know if anyone has dealt with asteriabooks.com, if so what your experience. In fact I would appreciate any and all feedback to this question. Thanks Yoki

aliceshortcake

Wilde about Oscar
Registered
Reaction score
Asteria Books is a publishing house envisioned and manifested by the Black family – Laurelei, Natalie, and Joe – for the purpose of printing and distributing high-quality books on esoteric, spiritual, and magickal topics that might have had difficulty finding a home with other publishers due either to the seemingly limited appeal of the topic or to the newness of the author. Asteria prides itself on bringing fresh voices with cutting-edge ideas into the public’s view.

Envisioned and manifested, eh?

Of Asteria's five books, four were written or edited by Laurelei Black. All were published through CreateSpace. Something tells me that few members of the public are likely to discover that these books exist.

Stijn Hommes

Know what you write...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.peccarymagazine.5u.com
I wouldn't be at all surprised if the authors turned out to run Asteria. The fact this isn't mentioned on the About Us page (or any other names for that matter) is a major red flag.

CreateSpace itself isn't a bad thing. She could've published there before Asteria got started. And the submission guidelines exists, but they're way too general. Why accept short stories when you request marketing plans? There are limits, you know?

aliceshortcake

Wilde about Oscar
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with CreateSpace, I just find it worrying that Asteria is open for submissions but the family behind it don't appear to have any experience in commercial publishing.

The 'Marketing Plan' applies to non-fiction only, but you have to wonder what sort of distribution Asteria provides.

The fact that Asteria accepts poetry is of course a huge red flag.

eternalised

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
majankaverstraete.com
For a small press, start-up publisher, they accept way too many genres. They accept both non-fiction and fiction, which are two completely different markets, AND they accept poetry. To me, that would be a huge red flag.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Hasn't published anything other than by owner(s) since '12.