Buy books by AWers

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Asteria Books Publishing House

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Asteria Books Publishing House

I would like to know if anyone has dealt with asteriabooks.com, if so what your experience. In fact I would appreciate any and all feedback to this question. Thanks Yoki

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

Wilde about Oscar aliceshortcake's Avatar
    Asteria Books is a publishing house envisioned and manifested by the Black family – Laurelei, Natalie, and Joe – for the purpose of printing and distributing high-quality books on esoteric, spiritual, and magickal topics that might have had difficulty finding a home with other publishers due either to the seemingly limited appeal of the topic or to the newness of the author. Asteria prides itself on bringing fresh voices with cutting-edge ideas into the public’s view.
    Envisioned and manifested, eh?

Of Asteria's five books, four were written or edited by Laurelei Black. All were published through CreateSpace. Something tells me that few members of the public are likely to discover that these books exist.

Know what you write...
    I wouldn't be at all surprised if the authors turned out to run Asteria. The fact this isn't mentioned on the About Us page (or any other names for that matter) is a major red flag.

CreateSpace itself isn't a bad thing. She could've published there before Asteria got started. And the submission guidelines exists, but they're way too general. Why accept short stories when you request marketing plans? There are limits, you know?

Wilde about Oscar aliceshortcake's Avatar
    I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with CreateSpace, I just find it worrying that Asteria is open for submissions but the family behind it don't appear to have any experience in commercial publishing.

The 'Marketing Plan' applies to non-fiction only, but you have to wonder what sort of distribution Asteria provides.

The fact that Asteria accepts poetry is of course a huge red flag.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    Thanks for input

practical experience, FTW eternalised's Avatar
    For a small press, start-up publisher, they accept way too many genres. They accept both non-fiction and fiction, which are two completely different markets, AND they accept poetry. To me, that would be a huge red flag.
    Visit my website.

With fingers in so many pies, the editing quality has to be somewhat diluted and/or too generalized.

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Hasn't published anything other than by owner(s) since '12.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017: