A growing industry

sulong

It's a matter of what is.
Registered
Reaction score
If this gains traction, the war on drugs and immigration won't soon be over. From HufPo

Corrections Corporation of America, the nation's largest operator of for-profit prisons, has sent letters recently to 48 states offering to buy up their prisons as a remedy for "challenging corrections budgets." In exchange, the company is asking for a 20-year management contract, plus an assurance that the prison would remain at least 90 percent full, according to a copy of the letter obtained by The Huffington Post.

Assurance of 90% full for 20 years sounds like free money to me.
In the past I'd have laughed this off. Not now though. Nowadays, this kind of talk scares hell outa me.

Nymtoc

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, corporations are buying up public libraries, too. Wonder what books will become unavailable. :Headbang:

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Traffic ticket quotas are bad enough. Prisoner quotas strike me as a particularly bad idea, to seriously understate the case.

Gregg

Life is good
Registered
Reaction score
The concept has possibilities, but the quota infringes on the authority/independence of judges and district attorneys.

On the other hand, shouldn't we look at the historical occpancy rate of the prisons in question? Maybe 90% isn't unreasonable.

clintl

Represent.
Registered
Reaction score
Well, all California has to do is not let people out, because we're at something ridiculous like 200% capacity.

mario_c

Your thoughts are not real...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mariocaiti.com
This is nothing new. Just search Wackenhut (in business since at least the 90s) and privatized prisons. Interesting that it was outlawed at the dawn of the 20th century.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
I wonder what the states are going to do to ensure 90% capacity of the prisons?
Two words. Heretic Camps. (Not to pick on you, that was just the term I used)

Copied over from the Santorum thread to avoid retyping.

I've gotta say, if Santorum gets elected, I'ma gonna laugh and laugh and laugh at all the people who four years ago were worried about an Imperial Presidency but haven't had a word to say about Obama consolidating additional power into the office over the last four years. I'll see y'all in the heretic camps; we can hang out an talk an' stuff, when we're not gettin' re-edjumacated.

"People get as much government as they deserve," I suppose.

Gregg

Life is good
Registered
Reaction score
Two words. Heretic Camps. (Not to pick on you, that was just the term I used)

Copied over from the Santorum thread to avoid retyping.

I've gotta say, if Santorum gets elected, I'ma gonna laugh and laugh and laugh at all the people who four years ago were worried about an Imperial Presidency but haven't had a word to say about Obama consolidating additional power into the office over the last four years. I'll see y'all in the heretic camps; we can hang out an talk an' stuff, when we're not gettin' re-edjumacated.

"People get as much government as they deserve," I suppose.

You mean like decreeing that a private corporation give away some of their product at no charge?