Does Anyone Here Use Generators?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score
rising from the depths of a cup of coffee
I mean with me honestly. I just kind of keep them just when I'm going through Writer's Block. Plus some of the time I feel like writing, but I don't know what to write. I mean most of the generators that I use are for character names more so than anything after looking back. Simply because I had--and still do have--trouble deciding character names.

muravyets

Old revolutionary
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Plot generator.

Character generator.

And, of course, there are generators for names, settings, special abilities- the list is almost, but not quite, endless.

I think using a generator as a prompt is fine, but the idea of writing a novel with anything other than a name generator gives me the heebie-jeebies. It just seems... inorganic and counterfeit.
For a novel or any other finished work, no. For exercises, games, that sort of thing, I find them useful and amusing. But they're not going to give you the foundation of a fully realized story. At most, they might be used to produce something experimental, and ultimately shallow and pretentious.

Like I said, I use them for minor character names, as a joke, or for micro-fiction prompts. Even then I don't use plot or character generators. Only names and random words or phrases. In my micro-fiction challenge the theme and five required words were spat out of a generator, for example. I've looked at plot generators and find them pointless.

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score
I don't know. Maybe I'm just that inexperienced of a writer that I have difficulty coming up with ideas sometimes still. I don't know. Note, I'm not trying to really discredit myself or anything similar to that, but I do think that haven't reached a certain skill level yet that a number of other people have reached. I'm not saying that's good or bad either; just stating what I think is true.

bearilou

DenturePunk writer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
yawping barbarically over the roofs of the world
*cough*

Plotto: The Master Book of All Plots by William Wallace Cook is my new favorite thing to goof off with. It looks complicated at first but I sat down one day to master it.

I did.

I even roughed out a short story idea with it just to see what it produced. The jury is still out on if it will be a good short story but taking what I came up with using the 'method' already I've deviated from it. Still...it was a neat process and a good way to launch into a story.

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
I like John Galt's static energy generator, myself. Two drops of oil, and it's been powering my word processor for the past five years!

My name generators are phone books, the atlas, and biographical dictionaries. I find names I like, mix up firsts and lasts, alter names to fit the conventions of fantastic societies, whatever's needed.

My main plot generator is NPR (National Public Radio) -- it's playing all day and half the night at work and home, and ideas pop at me out of the incessant murmur of all things considered. When an idea pops, it goes into my personal generator, the bunny hutch Word document, where it can mingle and breed with other ideas until it's big enough to burst through the chicken wire and onto the page.

Mark W.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I think generators can be useful to spark your own ideas. One generally shouldn't use the plots they generate. Most of the time, they are just nonsense. However, sometimes they can spark your imagination and get the ball rolling on something new.

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm traumatized by this imagery now because all I can see is fur and blood and a sad looking pair of limp bunny ears flopped onto the keyboard....

Nope. When it's big enough, the idea employs its razor-keen incisors to slash the wire, then thuds, growling, onto the desk. There it demands infinite carrots and a thousand words a day, or else.

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
Never have a problem coming up with story ideas. Ever. If someone points me at a prompt, all I can do is think of all the Plot Bunnies waiting to eat me alive if I ignore them in favor of some other story, and then I back away. Slowly.

For names, I either make stuff up or go to BehindTheName.com--and that mostly if I need something foreign or really really old.

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score
I think generators can be useful to spark your own ideas. One generally shouldn't use the plots they generate. Most of the time, they are just nonsense. However, sometimes they can spark your imagination and get the ball rolling on something new.

That's mostly why I use them. Just to get the ball rolling. Even prompts are the same way, but I run out of prompts quicker than I run out of generations from the generator.

For names, I either make stuff up or go to BehindTheName.com--and that mostly if I need something foreign or really really old.

I would use BehindtheName.com or a site like that but it's so hard for me to decide on a name, foreign or not. It's just so difficult for me sometimes. When I did use sites like that a lot of my characters ended up with "A" names because I usually didn't want to go further into the site to look at the names under the rest of the alphabet. I mean, for me, I like the generator better because I feel like it gives me a better variety of name besides the first few letters of the alphabet. However, that's just my opinion, and that's what works for me.

bearilou

DenturePunk writer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
yawping barbarically over the roofs of the world
When I did use sites like that a lot of my characters ended up with "A" names because I usually didn't want to go further into the site to look at the names under the rest of the alphabet. I mean, for me, I like the generator better because I feel like it gives me a better variety of name besides the first few letters of the alphabet. However, that's just my opinion, and that's what works for me.

I tend to do that as well so I will just click on random letters in the alphabet (or skip to a random page number) to see what comes up.

Dr.Gonzo

Wonderfully Irreverent
Registered
Reaction score
I once played spin the bottle and had to tongue a troll. I make my own decisions now.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I don't know how character name generators work, but I really don't want to use one for this. I use character names that match where the character is from, that people really used in that area during the year he or she was born, etc.

Even for fantasy, I don't want names made up randomly, but ones that are consistent with the others, and that match the setting and tone.

It would take a pretty fancy name generator to get this right.

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I use all kinds of prompts when I'm stuck for one reason or another. I don't see generators being any different. *shrug*

That said, I don't follow anything to the letter. Not because I am afraid of it sapping any creativity, but because it just doesn't happen. These things tend to take on a life of their own once I start writing.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Most of my stories are set in a modern setting; I mean I know that doesn't necessarily excuse the popularity(or unpopularity) of a name, but I feel like it gives me more freedom to choose names I guess.

I don't think it's about freedom, but about using a name that strikes the reader as real for that character, in that time and place. When a name doesn't come across this way, I think it needs an explanation.

An unusual name for a given time and place says something about the parents, more than the character who bears the name, and you really have to ask why the parents would choose such a name.

The right kind of celebrity couple might name a kid Petal Blossom Rainbow, but a Southern Baptist family probably won't.

Too many uncommon names in a novel also makes for tough reading. I want to read the story, not spend time wondering why every character in the novel has an unusual name.

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
I would use BehindtheName.com or a site like that but it's so hard for me to decide on a name, foreign or not. It's just so difficult for me sometimes. When I did use sites like that a lot of my characters ended up with "A" names because I usually didn't want to go further into the site to look at the names under the rest of the alphabet. I mean, for me, I like the generator better because I feel like it gives me a better variety of name besides the first few letters of the alphabet. However, that's just my opinion, and that's what works for me.
Ah--see, when I go there, I almost always have a first letter in mind already, or a . . . color. I'm a synesthete, so words and letters all have color to me. So when I wind up on a site like that, I'm already thinking, "Okay, I need an orange name, something in Gaelic. Whaddya got for me?" And I narrow it down from there.

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score
Ah--see, when I go there, I almost always have a first letter in mind already, or a . . . color. I'm a synesthete, so words and letters all have color to me. So when I wind up on a site like that, I'm already thinking, "Okay, I need an orange name, something in Gaelic. Whaddya got for me?" And I narrow it down from there.

Yeah, I have....nothing, except for the thought that I need name for a character.

And someone mentioned earlier about prompts. I do think that they are helpful too, at least for me, especially when I'm going through Writer's Block. However, I "ran out" of prompts that I wanted to try. That could've had a lot to do with that I only searched for "fiction writing prompts" instead of maybe Flash Fiction prompts, Short Story Prompts (or even Short Fiction, even though that includes, flash fiction, short stories, novelettes, and novellas), etc. So, that could be something to try I suppose. I know that there is a Flash Fiction forum on here, and they tend to provide their monthly prompts (I think) in some threads from what I can see.

Status
Not open for further replies.