Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
do this one through loan too.....or just toss your $8 out the window--its just as gone without wasting a few evenings as well.

I think I spent about 2 hours on it--much skimming was involved.

Srsly, you want a scenario like the one you described above? Read "Strange Highways." I think Koontz' editors long ago gave up attempting to cut one word. They just upload the ms and begin the publicity juggernaut.

Satori1977

Listening to the Voices In My Head
Registered
Reaction score
If it is a new author for me, I give it one book. If I can't get through the book, I won't pick up another one. If it is a much-loved author, I will give a few more books a try. Like Stephen King. Some of his books, I love. Some I can't get a few pages in before I give up. Some authors just seem to be like that for me, because they are inconsistent. If they are too inconsistent (especially within a series), maybe after 2 books I give up.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
It depends.

Less than one, if I've never read the author before and I don't like the writing and/or story.

If it's an author I've previously read and liked, but the books are starting to go downhill, I'll give it a couple before quitting entirely.

KathleenD

New kid, but no need to be gentle.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kathleendienne.com
It depends, if it is an author I used to like (*cough*mercedeslackey*cough*) I might reader 4-5 duds (from me-POV) before giving up.

This. Oh, lord, this.

I found ML's first book when I *was* 12 and awkward, so I fell in love with the trilogy. I didn't have the context to judge it.

I have context now. I won't read the co-written ones, I won't read anything with her husband's name on it, and I flat refuse to read the latest attempt at squeezing the last drop of blood from the Valdemar world. The rewritten history of a world I really loved for its consistency and planning is almost... not quite, but almost... as bad as Orson Scott Card's Shadow series. But I'll still try anything else with just her name on it because the first twelve books of hers rocked my developing world :)

Last edited:

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
I hereby challenge you and Seun to both find The Taking and start it on the same day, last man (or woman) standing wins.

what a fuckaree; I think that was the angriest I've ever been at a single author. and if you thought Dragon tears was bad about subtlety, lets say if Dragon Tears was the equivalent of some guy saying "nice pants--let's fuck"....the Taking would be the same guy whipping it out jumping up on the couch in front of you, slapping you until you could feel the sweat, and screaming "in the mouth, baby!!!"

God, i hated that book

If it's a fuckaree (instead of a fuckarow), challenge declined. :tongue

Reaction score
I hereby challenge you and Seun to both find The Taking and start it on the same day, last man (or woman) standing wins.

what a fuckaree; I think that was the angriest I've ever been at a single author. and if you thought Dragon tears was bad about subtlety, lets say if Dragon Tears was the equivalent of some guy saying "nice pants--let's fuck"....the Taking would be the same guy whipping it out jumping up on the couch in front of you, slapping you until you could feel the sweat, and screaming "in the mouth, baby!!!"

God, i hated that book
I've read The Taking more than once, and didn't think it was that bad. It was one of his better 'recent' books, during the period where he erred away from horror and tried to get into suspense.

There are quite a few of his other novels where he overeggs the beautiful-woman-ordinary-man-supernatural-dog pudding far, far more than in this book.

flapperphilosopher

Registered
Reaction score
Website
annakrentz.blogspot.ca
I voted 2, but it really depends; 2 is best-case scenario. If I don't like an author's style, I won't go past 30-50 pages of the first book, unless someone I know really loved it. And if I don't like an author's style I don't bother with them anymore. If the book just bores me, but the style is okay, I might try another of the author's books. If that one bores me too, then they're out. If I actually read a whole book and don't like it, I generally feel too annoyed I wasted time on the book to read the author again, haha (*cough, Atonement!*).

Status
Not open for further replies.