iPad or MacBook Air?

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
The prices on some of the refurb 11'' models are kinda tormentin' me.

I will wait at least until I can get a cheaper Sandy Bridge refurb. I'm questioning whether I want to shell out the extra bucks to make it something I can use for on-the-road analysis work, or just get a base one as a writing notebook to supplement the MBP...

Deleted member 42

Right now, I've got to save my pennies for the iPad 3, which I kinda hafta buy, since I skipped the iPad 2.

Sheila Muirenn

Rebuilding My Brain
Registered
Reaction score
Right now, I've got to save my pennies for the iPad 3, which I kinda hafta buy, since I skipped the iPad 2.

Snort! :)

I'm going to wait a couple of months and pay-off my dental loan. Then I'll get the refurb MBA 4/128. :)

And while I'm at it, an Iphone is starting to appeal. ;)

dham122

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.danieljhamilton.com
Just a quick comment on the upcoming mountain lion: the refurb MBAs on apples store will all run mountain lion.

Also, on timing: MBAs were just updated in July 2011. Apple usually updates their laptops right around every 18 months. So, history says no new updates probably until after this Xmas. Only when apple updates the MBA will prices on current MBA generation MBA refurbs decrease. So, if your waiting for a price drop, there's probably quite a while before it happens. Buying an apple product is kind of an art form. There's several web sites out there that will tell you recommendation on buy/wait for apple gear.

Deleted member 42

Just a quick comment on the upcoming mountain lion: the refurb MBAs on apples store will all run mountain lion.

No, they won't. For one thing, a number of them don't have enough RAM.

For another, the specs for ML have changed between the last two developer releases.

So we can't really be sure what will run. Apple has just sent a cautionary note to journalists and developers regarding the potential for the tech requirements changing.

DevelopmentExec

Registered
Reaction score
You can still find new last generation MBAs for a good price.

I just got a 13" MBA with 128 Gigs and a free upgrade to lion for around $950 @ J&R.

That's a considerable price cut - the low end current generation 11" MBA's with only 64 gigs are around a grand.

You can also find new last generation 11" MBAs w/128 gigs & lion for around $875 at macmall.

The last generation mbas don't have a backlit keyboard or a thunderbolt port.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Also, on timing: MBAs were just updated in July 2011. Apple usually updates their laptops right around every 18 months. So, history says no new updates probably until after this Xmas. Only when apple updates the MBA will prices on current MBA generation MBA refurbs decrease. So, if your waiting for a price drop, there's probably quite a while before it happens. Buying an apple product is kind of an art form. There's several web sites out there that will tell you recommendation on buy/wait for apple gear.

I'm guessing closer to summer after Ivy Bridge comes out. The Mac Rumors buyer's guide suggests waiting unless you really need it. I'm in no hurry.

Amadan

Banned
Reaction score
I like my MacAir. I wanted a laptop for two reasons only: something comfortable and light to write with, and a portable Internet browser. I knew I could buy a cheaper netbook with more horsepower, but I specifically wanted the ergonomics and chrome that Apple is famous (and overpriced) for. So this was a luxury toy for myself. My previous netbook was a POS HP that was just painful to write with, and I didn't need a more powerful laptop, since I don't do gaming or a lot of streaming.

So for my purposes, the MacAir is a delightful tool.

I have yet to figure out what I would do with an iPad.

Deleted member 42

Although I can and do write with my iPad, mostly I use it for reading, and for annotating things I've read that I'll be writing or otherwise responding to.

It's been interesting using the iPad as a primary machine for the last month or so; it's doable, but it's not efficient.

Georgina

Sushi at midnight
Registered
Reaction score

For me, the iPad is the perfect reading device. I read RSS feeds, articles I've saved in Instapaper, online fiction, published ebooks, even manuscripts for betaing. I carry my iPad around in my purse so it's always with me, and I probably spend at least two hours a day reading on it.

It's also a great portable games machine, especially puzzle and adventure-type games. Great prices, too: most of my favourite iOS games cost less than $5.

Most of all, the iPad is handy. I pick it up first thing in the morning, when I'm still in bed, and check my email. I browse the web late at night. I look things up on Wikipedia when I'm sitting on the couch and curious. I find recipes and take it with me into the kitchen as I cook.

I'm certainly not saying they're for everyone. One of my good friends won an iPad but barely uses it; she says it's too heavy for one-handed reading and she doesn't play games. But me? I love my iPad. It's a beautifully-designed piece of technology with a limited skillset, but the way it performs those skills is wonderful.

Cheers.

Sheila Muirenn

Rebuilding My Brain
Registered
Reaction score
I just heard the new Ipad will have the capability to take dictation!

Oh, um, um, uhhhh...--!

Both. May I have both, please? !!!!!!!!!!!!

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
I just heard the new Ipad will have the capability to take dictation!

Oh, um, um, uhhhh...--!

Both. May I have both, please? !!!!!!!!!!!!

That will probably be my Tenchi solution.

I'll hold out until the Ivy Bridge MacBook Airs are released, and then either get one of those or a refurb Sandy Bridge, depending on how nice the new ones are.

I'm good with my iPad 2 until next year, though.