AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: WriteLife Publishing (formerly WriteLife LLC)

practical experience, FTW blrude's Avatar

WriteLife Publishing (formerly WriteLife LLC)

A friend of a friend is looking into this publisher. Has anyone had experiences with them?

Thanks.
    Barb Rude

Coming May 1st!

volitare nequeo AW Moderator veinglory's Avatar
    No fee, 50% net royalties. Seems like a pretty bare bones deal and I have no idea what their sales are like. My main question would be "what costs are deducted from net?" They suggest production costs are 'like an advance'--so they may be clawing these back under the net.
    Emily Veinglory

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    What's more, there's a minimum amount to be sold before the royalties-on-net kicks in:
    Is there an author discount?
    Yes. You may purchase books directly from Writelife, at 20% off the retail price. Books sold at the author discounted rate do not count toward the break even royalty number.
    ICAO
    ---------

Censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion. -- Henry Steele Commager
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

Tired and Disillusioned Momento Mori's Avatar
    WriteLife Publishing Website:
    WriteLife operates much like a "traditional" publisher, who provides an author advance. Our advance to our authors is the pre-production and production costs of editing a manuscript, creating a book, and placing it in distribution channels such as Amazon, and Barnes & Noble. (Net profit is the money generated after all the WriteLife expenses for publishing the book.)
    Yeah. This isn't actually an advance. An advance is an amount of money that you receive in return for your manuscript, not an amount of money that the publisher is claiming to have spent on producing the book.

The fact that WriteLife doesn't seem to know this (or worse, is actively seeking to mislead people about what an advance is) tells you everything you need to know about them.

As an addendum, they also seem geared up to only selling books through their store and those book prices seem very high to me (particularly the GPB price which is the same as the USD price even though the exchange rate is 1:1.50 at the moment).

MM
    Last edited by Momento Mori; 02-17-2012 at 09:08 PM.

practical experience, FTW blrude's Avatar
    Thank you. The "like an advance" thing had me wondering but I thought I'd see if anyone else saw it that way, too.

MM - thanks also for the note on the GBP since that's way outside my realm of expertise.
    Barb Rude

Coming May 1st!

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    In '14, was bought out by Boutique of Quality Books Publishing, and now serves as their literary & non-fiction imprint under the name WriteLife Publishing.
    ICAO
    ---------

Censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion. -- Henry Steele Commager
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017: