Smash

JanDarby

Registered
Reaction score
I really wanted to like this. I thought I'd heard that the critics liked it, so I was expecting it to be good.

Some of the musical/dance numbers are great, but beyond that? The connecting bits actively annoyed me, rather than (as in Glee, for example) ranging from okay to amusing.

Is it just me? Am I missing something?

seaaircarol

Frustrated Pluviophile
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not loving it. Might give it another episode or two.

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
I couldn't make it through the first episode. I kept thinking, "I thought this was supposed to be good." It's not. It feels like it's trying WAY too hard. It's off the DVR now, but I will probably check back on this thread to see if it's improved. Sad, really, I wanted to like it too.

JanDarby

Registered
Reaction score
Nice to know it's not just me being cranky. I REALLY wanted to like this.

dragonjax

I write stuff and break boards.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jackiekessler.com
I'm sorry that you aren't enjoying it as much as I am -- I greatly enjoyed the first two episodes, and I'm looking forward to the rest of the season.

JohnnyGottaKeyboard

Who let this guy in...?
Registered
Reaction score
On the rooftoop where he climbed when the laughter
I really wanted to like this. I thought I'd heard that the critics liked it, so I was expecting it to be good.

Some of the musical/dance numbers are great, but beyond that? The connecting bits actively annoyed me, rather than (as in Glee, for example) ranging from okay to amusing.

Is it just me? Am I missing something?
Hah! I was exactly the opposite. The barrage of hype had me expecting a total lame-a$$ bomb, but I'm really enjoying it. They're telegraphing a few too many things (we all know what it means when a female character is shown puking, right?--especially when she is subsequently awarded the big part and there is another gal waiting in the wings--"42nd Street" anyone?), and Angelica looks like she should be mounted on the corner of a cathedral roof (though, honestly, I could watch that woman read a phone book). Still, it's refreshing to discover I am not the tv curmudgeon I thought I'd become...

Last edited:

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
I really have been enjoying it. Unlike GLEE the musical numbers are there to support the story, as opposed to the story being there to support the musical numbers. I like how dark it is, how they really are trying to show a decent behind the scenes of the Broadway theatre scene. It's a show for grownups.

I agree there is a bit too much set-up and exposition at times, but maybe after watching ONCE UPON A TIME, it's just a relief that it isn't a constant barrage :) .

I think once it gets into its groove (both literally and figuratively), and we get to know the characters better etc, they will lessen the exposition. At least I hope so.

But for now, I'm most pleasantly surprised.

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm mixed. Really liked Debra Messing and Katherine McPhee, but I didn't feel as drawn into caring about what's going to happen. I mean, does anybody really feel any suspense about whether or not McPhee will land the part?

I think the other thing that makes it harder to connect with is that it is an original musical. With Glee, there's at least one song on every episode that I know well. It's fun to see how they do it, and I can sing along if no one else is home... With Smash, the songs are good for the most part, but they're unfamiliar. By the time I "get" what they're singing about, the song is over and gone.

Don't know if that makes sense... It just makes it a completely different kind of experience for me.

Toothpaste

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
How many episodes have you seen? Because they have been doing a mix of original and familiar songs, which I think is quite savvy. Like when McPhee auditioned w/ Beautiful.

Also, as far as a forgone conclusion goes . . . keep watching . . . (not saying you're right or wrong, just saying it's not as straightforward as it might seem at the start).

K. Taylor

Bah Humbug
Registered
Reaction score
Website
carlakrae.blogspot.com
Yeah, episode 2 needs to be watched if one hasn't seen it already. The letter, and the reading of it, was beautiful.

The girl throwing up doesn't have to mean bulimia - a lot of people puke from nerves, both male and female. A bulimic wouldn't have the energy to work on Broadway, anyway.

JohnnyGottaKeyboard

Who let this guy in...?
Registered
Reaction score
The girl throwing up doesn't have to mean bulimia - a lot of people puke from nerves, both male and female. A bulimic wouldn't have the energy to work on Broadway, anyway.
Oh, I wasn't referring to bulimia, I was referring to pregnant. It will give them an out when they need to give the lead role to the next girl in line.

Evangeline

Twirling in a glass of champagne
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.edwardianpromenade.com
I love Smash. I'm a sucker for theater-based plots, so I tuned in with high expectations that were, for the most part, matched. I do find Debra Messing's adoption/family sub-plot a snore, and I hope they don't break up Karen and Dev (such a sweet and positive relationship!), but for now I'm hooked.

JohnnyGottaKeyboard

Who let this guy in...?
Registered
Reaction score
I love Smash. I'm a sucker for theater-based plots, so I tuned in with high expectations that were, for the most part, matched. I do find Debra Messing's adoption/family sub-plot a snore, and I hope they don't break up Karen and Dev (such a sweet and positive relationship!), but for now I'm hooked.
Does anyone know, did the same actor play Debra Messing's son in the second episode that played him in the pilot? He looked different to me, but the part was small and I forgot about it as soon as the next scene came along...Was only just reminded.

Lady MacBeth

Out, damn'd spot! out, I say.
Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone know, did the same actor play Debra Messing's son in the second episode that played him in the pilot? He looked different to me, but the part was small and I forgot about it as soon as the next scene came along...Was only just reminded.

I wondered that too.

The guy playing the director was in Pirates of the Caribbean. He played Norrington.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I know him better as Steve in the British sitcom Coupling.

I'm another one who really wanted to like this, as well. I'm finding the parts about the production of the play itself more interesting than the "human element" stories around them. I'll probably give it one more episode; I'm surprised I've watched the first two because I don't even like Debra Messing.

Lady MacBeth

Out, damn'd spot! out, I say.
Registered
Reaction score
The song Megan Hilty sings at the end of episode 2 is beautiful. "Crazy Dreams."

Grrarrgh

Not so new, not so much a kid
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't even consider that she was pregnant, I just thought she was really nervous about everything. But I guess that would give them a way to give it to Katherine McPhee.

I'm really liking it. I like that the songs are there as part of rehearsals/auditions whatever. So far they've only done one random walking-down-the-street singing scene, which isn't too bad. I'm not a big fan of those, but I do know there will be more of them. But it's a fun little show.

Toothpaste

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
But even that walking down the street singing thing was technically them singing their audition song. I know when I've had singing auditions, I sing my way to my audition, practicing the song. Maybe not as obviously or as proudly, but yup, definitely out loud in public :) .

JohnnyGottaKeyboard

Who let this guy in...?
Registered
Reaction score
Ooh, even tho i said how much I liked this show previously, tonight's episode was horrible.

Debra Messing's character spills her darkest secret that she has been toting around for 5 years and doesn't have sense enough to say: "Are we alone?"

The dancer asks the composer on a date but really the scene is just a device to start the word spreading that the director is sleeping with the star?

And the evil assistant is straight?

It all felt very contrived tonight. The only part I enjoyed was the pissing match between the two Brits. And AH throwing her drinks...

dragonjax

I write stuff and break boards.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jackiekessler.com
Johnny - I agree with everything you wrote above. Including the best bits :) .

Ditto ditto. Although I did like "Mr. And Mrs. Smith."

Is it too much to hope that at the end of the season, they'll actually put together the Marilyn musical and make that available as a movie?