DREAMS/VISIONS/NIGHTMARES CONTEST - Discussion Thread

Magdalen

Petulantly Penitent
Registered
Reaction score
Shake the bushes, one more vote and we'll reach awesome 150... not that 149 isn't awesome - it is - but 150 is awesomer.

149!!!

I really hope someone else votes in the remaining time so we make 150. It seems like such an nice round number. :D

ETA:

We did it! We made 150!!!

:snoopy:

Yep!!! Participation is this event has been phenom!!

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
You know... here in these closing minutes of voting, I'd like to give credit where credit is due. Sure... we can bang about the halls of AW with our announcements or post threads, or send PM's urging people to take a peek... but if it wasn't for the quality of what they read, if it wasn't for the poet's ability to peek interest, if it wasn't for that 'thing' that says "I want to keep reading" then maybe we wouldn't have the votes we do...

Those poems, the 26, they made this happen, that, and the AW spirit of supporting each other as writers.

Well done all!

*gets all sniffly 'n stuff*

starbeam

Registered
Reaction score
Well said, Kelly! I agree, all the poems are incredible. A huge congrats to all the poets who entered. They are all winners! :Trophy:

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You know... here in these closing minutes of voting, I'd like to give credit where credit is due. Sure... we can bang about the halls of AW with our announcements or post threads, or send PM's urging people to take a peek... but if it wasn't for the quality of what they read, if it wasn't for the poet's ability to peek interest, if it wasn't for that 'thing' that says "I want to keep reading" then maybe we wouldn't have the votes we do...

Those poems, the 26, they made this happen, that, and the AW spirit of supporting each other as writers.

Well done all!

*gets all sniffly 'n stuff*

Yes, this. I find I've gotten all protective about the three I voted for (and the one I wanted to vote for and didn't). I hope they win. All four of them.

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Well done all!

Indeed. Congratulations to all our poets who entered. You are all superb. So many people said how hard it was to choose just three poems, and how great all the poems were. Every entrant should be proud. :) Thank you for entering this contest. Thank you for your hard work in putting together your poems. Thank you for your support and spreading the word. And, thank you for voting and staying qualified. (a couple of you had me worried there. ;))

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
Oh yeah! Let's not forget our Ambrosia! ;)

and all those who took the time to read and vote!

:Clap: :Clap: :Clap: :Clap: :Clap: :Clap: :Clap: :Clap: :Clap: :Clap: :Clap: :Clap: :Clap: :Clap: :Clap:

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
They could, H.S. But I am not holding my breath. ;)

I will say we are over 150. I want to wait until the voting is closed to give the final total. :)

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
That should be it then?

Should I'll start taking down the leaflets... ;)

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Alright, folks. Voting is CLOSED. The contest is over.

We had a total of 151 votes. Great job, everyone!

Now the hard part, for us all. For me, because I have to tally all these votes. And that is quite a lot to tally. For you, because you have to be patient with me while you wait for the results.

I will try to get the results up by Friday evening. However, if I run into any problems, it may be a day or two later. But the results will be up as soon as I can make it so.

Thanks again, everyone who participated in the Dreams, Visions, or Nightmares Poetry Contest. You all are great! :)

Goodnight.

escritora

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Ambrosia!

I can't wait to see the results. I hope my choices place!

brad_b

Knight Errant
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Somewhere in my mind... it echoes in here ...
Friday evening? But... but... okay, I can wait.

*Taps foot while whistling the theme song from 'Jeopardy'.*

You did such a great job on this contest, Ambrosia. And applause and accolades to all the poets and voters who took part in making it a huge success, and to everyone who got the word out to shake closet poetry admirers from their hidey holes to vote. Well done, all!

Blarg

Banned
Reaction score
This contest was a huge success or you are eaten by dinosaurs! The choice is yours.

Great job Ambrosia! And all the voters and poets!

CC.Allen

Aim twice, Shoot once...
Registered
Reaction score
Texas will always be home... but dreaming of Hawai
Well, I hope it is not a fauxpa to post this, but Ambrosia had originally asked me to post this several days ago when I sent in my votes. Anyhow I felt self-conscious about it... I did not want to affect any votes, plus I am in no way a poet or a judge of anything. Anyhow, here goes...

To those that I did not vote for or comment about, believe me when I was that every single one of the entries was truly amazing to someone who has spent a total of about 30 minutes reading poetry prior to this in my life!

To the writer of "Toad-Man" ... you punched me right in my gut, with memories of my childhood that I was not proud of ... remembering this will hopefully continue to make me a better person. I hope you don't mind that your words are now posted on my refrigerator. ***Damn... I am so sorrrry and still do not understand how I dropped it from my top 3...***

Note: If I am wrong to post this in full, a mod can feel free to delete it or ask me to edit out the actual votes...

CC.Allen said:
VOTE: DREAMS, VISIONS, or NIGHTMARES Contest.
13. Summer Drums
11. Creator and Destroyer
5. Broken Me

Now I just can't help but to add a few comments. Amazing from top to bottom. A few of my favorites:

Entry #3 Toad-Man - Reading these in order, I immediately sad “nothing can beat this” … how can it not be in my top 3???

Entry #5 Broken Me - #3) Amazing words & writing. My favorite of all. I don’t feel like it met the essence of the criteria of the contest, so I am only voting it in at #3.

Entry #9 Crackaleur - Beautiful! Short, sweet & should be winner of many contests.

Entry #11 Creator and Destroyer - #2) Wow. I shivered & I read it 10 more times, each time hoping to shiver again.

Entry #13 Summer Drums - #1) Amazing. Captured the essence of the contest and wrote a wonderful piece.

Entry #22 I HAD A DREAM - Amazing writing & blending of various historic moments to bring about the vision of the troubles that this country truly faces. Once more, how can this not be in my top 3????

Entry #24 Last Night I Saw Pauline - I feel like this author is a rock star.

So many others were soooo good, but I must get back to work!

ETA: AMBROSIA!!!!! Way to go .... all the kudos you get will not be enough!

Last edited:

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
scary_dinosaur_roar_poster-p2284021159808828537p1k_325.jpg

CC.Allen

Aim twice, Shoot once...
Registered
Reaction score
Texas will always be home... but dreaming of Hawai
Yes, this. I find I've gotten all protective about the three I voted for (and the one I wanted to vote for and didn't). I hope they win. All four of them.

LOL ... THIS! ... I don't know any of the authors to put to the words, or anyone on this site personally... but, Yes... I am hopeful and excited to see how MY favorites fared...

Last edited:

quickWit

Totally Ninja!
Registered
Reaction score
I'd just like to say that I don't read a great deal of poetry, but all the entries were great & the 3 I voted for were particularly beautiful.

Thanks to all for sharing them!

carry on. :)

kborsden

Has a few recurring issues
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Excellent...

Congrats and thanks to all who rallied and riled and rattled every cage going. I don't think I've ever seen the poetry section so hot as the last few weeks. It's become that I don't even care about winning, obviously I'd like to know who won, but it actually feels like I've taken part in something 'mega'. That has been enough of a victory for me. Roll on Friday.